PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Currency Detetor Defeated

MacBytes
Jan 15, 2004, 12:56 AM
Category: Tips and How To's
Link: Photoshop Currency Detetor Defeated (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040115015604)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

0 and A ai
Jan 15, 2004, 04:27 AM
Detetor? I think you mean detector.

ITR 81
Jan 15, 2004, 05:35 AM
Big whoop.
I could have told you about all these techniques, but whats the point??
Most don't want the hassle of even if it only takes 2-3 mins. Also I doubt many people will have old ver. of PS in 5 yrs or so.
Adobe will update again and someone will probably defeat it again and then Adobe will update again and etc.....

gekko513
Jan 15, 2004, 06:26 AM
Don't you think that the currency detector should be in the OS printer manager instead?

It should also just block printing of +/- 20% scaled notes.

mainstreetmark
Jan 15, 2004, 09:05 AM
Yes, it should.

I know many people, including myself, who like to modify dollar bills for flyers or other self-serving purposes like replacing George with myself.

Balin64
Jan 15, 2004, 12:08 PM
I make humorous coupons resembling 5 and 10 dollar bills. By the time I am done, they look NOTHING like real currency of course, but I do start by scanning a real bill, then design it in PS. Big deal. We should all make goofy bill scans, put a digimarc on them, print them and send them to Adobe. Hey, at least Photoshop CS does not call home when it launches: unless they have found a way to deceive Little Snitch.

gerardrj
Jan 15, 2004, 12:12 PM
To quote the Wired article: The Central Bank Counterfeit Deterrence Group provides the software as a black box without revealing its precise inner workings, Connor said.

It's fairly common knowledge that the BEP/Fed only release certain anti-counterfiet components of the bills to the public, such as the color shifint ink, colored threads, security thread, watermarks, etc. They generally will admit that there are other (many other) "features" in the bills to prevent/devtect counterfeits.

Now we have a problem... At least some of these other undisclosed features are surely built in to the black box, and the black box is in public hands and infinitely probeable.

Isn't it only a matter of time before a more serious counterfeiter uses the Adobe software to probe the counterfiet detector and narrow down which portions of the bills contain security features so they can be more easily defeated? Won't this in the long run yield higher quality counterfeits?

rainman::|:|
Jan 15, 2004, 02:47 PM
i posted in the other thread, i use color copying equipment at work, and i decided to try. sure enough, it will say "bill detected", and print out a B/W copy at about 900% darkness, you can just barely see the image. pretty funny. tho, by turning it around in different positions, it didn't detect it some of the time.

not that i'm going to counterfit. and i know it's illegal to copy money. what i said above took place outside of US borders ;) :rolleyes:

it astounds me that anyone would possibly create a good enough replica to fool anyone else. but, people are stupid. reminds me of the beavis and butthead where they photocopied nickels, for a dime a copy.

paul

0 and A ai
Jan 15, 2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
Yes, it should.

I know many people, including myself, who like to modify dollar bills for flyers or other self-serving purposes like replacing George with myself.

personnaly i'd replace myself with Ben. Why waster your time with george?

MrMacMan
Jan 15, 2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by 0 and A ai
Detetor? I think you mean detector.

Crap.. I can't believe I missed that.

Verrryy Sorry about the spelling!

I can't believe I spelled something wrong... ARG!

I saw a person...have a TOTALLY fake bill... like wrong color... everything, I pointed it out when I got up to the counter, he didn't even understand the concept of a fake bill...

Anyway Blocking the Bills is a stupid idea.