PDA

View Full Version : This is enough to make me switch

pcdoctor
Jan 15, 2004, 03:57 AM
I just ordered some DVD-RWs so I could backup my entire pc.
Maybe I wasn't thinking, but Symantec Ghost is limited to 2gb per backup image because of the dos limitation.
Basically, I can't create images of 4gb on my DVD-RWs for image backup.
If I finally break down and decide to buy a mac, can I backup the entire hard drive to DVD-RWs?
If I start to backup to DVD-RWs, is there some sort of feature that will tell me to insert another DVD-RW because the 1st one is full?
I basically don't want to have to use the restore disk if my hard drive crashes.
Is there any OSX utility that's built in that will allow me to backup the entire OSX hard drive to DVD-RWs?
If not, what OSX utility will do this?

Thanks!

pcdoctor
Jan 15, 2004, 04:15 AM
I just found this program.
Has anyone used this?
http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

I want to be able to create several dvd-rw image backups using this program.
Has anyone successfully done this?

alset
Jan 15, 2004, 04:59 AM
I haven't used Carbon Copy Cloner (though my friend swears by it), so I can't vouch for any features. One thing it's lacking, however, is the ability to backup across a network. This keeps me from testing it out, but doesn't sound like an issue for you.

You will definitely be able to find several other programs with the features you asked about. I believe Dantz Retrospect (http://www.dantz.com/) does all of this, but it's been a while since I've used it. I'm sure features are listed on the web site.

Dan

Horrortaxi
Jan 15, 2004, 09:31 AM
There's a program called, oddly enough, Backup. It will make a copy of whatever you want to cd/dvd/hard drive and span across multiple dvds if necessary. You need .Mac to back up to iDisk but I'm not sure if you need .Mac to use the program otherwise.

DavidLeblond
Jan 15, 2004, 10:05 AM
Unfortuately I am unable to open Backup without specifying a .Mac account. That pisses me off, I don't see why I should need a .Mac account to backup to a CD.

idea_hamster
Jan 15, 2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by pcdoctor
I just found this program.
Has anyone used this?
http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

I want to be able to create several dvd-rw image backups using this program.
Has anyone successfully done this?
I've used CCC a number of times to create back-up drive images and the program worked absolutely flawlessly. I was really quite happy with the results. Clear, useful GUI. Good explanations for freeware. (Plus it's useful if you want to make a bootable OS X iPod!)

However, I've only ever used it to copy from internal to external HD over FW400, so I can't say that I have experience with the DVD medium. Even so, I would proceed with confidence.

Best of luck!

varmit
Jan 15, 2004, 11:54 AM
http://babelcompany.com/impression/

I saw this on macslash.com. It might be something worth looking into. I don't know how good it is, or how many features it has, but you can take a look at it.

Roger1
Jan 15, 2004, 12:10 PM
Carbon Copy Cloner is an excellent program for anybody who wants to make a bootable backup of their HD. I have used it numerous times, and it works great.

jayscheuerle
Jan 15, 2004, 12:20 PM
I've had problems with Carbon Copy Cloner during automated backups– lost files and such, but it does a straight immediate copy pretty well.

flyfish29
Jan 15, 2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeblond
Unfortuately I am unable to open Backup without specifying a .Mac account. That pisses me off, I don't see why I should need a .Mac account to backup to a CD.

I know it seems like a pisser that they make you pay for something now a days. No really, they don't make things for free. (M$ gives away for free only to squash the competition) They have a software program that runs on your computer that requires you to pay for a service to help you do just that. They could just flat out charge $29 or $39 bucks for the software alone, but they don't. I am tired of so many people expecting things for free! You don't need a .Mac account to backup to a CD/DVD unless of course you are using the program that Apple company employees wrote. How dare those damn employees expect a paycheck every week and benefits too! The nerve! No really, what you need is a software program to backup...buy another program to do this if you want, buy apples program/.Mac package, or don't do it at all. Just don't expect everything for free or else our market based economy will crash for good. Unfortunately that is the way we are headed. If you like something vote with your dollars! IF you don't like somthing then don't vote!

jayscheuerle
Jan 15, 2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by flyfish29
No really, they don't make things for free. (M$ gives away for free only to squash the competition)

Apple has given it away (or at least included it in new computers) in order to differentiate itself from the competition, showing how integrated the Mac experience can be, and to counter the notion that software isn't available for the Mac.

Apple makes their money from their hardware and uses their software update's ever-changing system requirements to entice users into buying a new machine.

The only iApp that stays usable at lower levels is iTunes because Apple needs as many customers at the ITMS as possible. The stiffer requirements for the new iPhoto have left me unable to use it at home. Shame, that is...

Horrortaxi
Jan 15, 2004, 08:42 PM
If you have Panther, take a look around Disk Utility. The functionality of Carbon Copy Cloner is in there.