Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atoothelex

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Ok, i know there has been much talk of a new iPod classic on the MacRumors forums the past month, but is there actually gonna be one released on September 9th? Is there any evidence? I mean there are at least leaked pics of the new nanos and touches, but nothing for the classic.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The classic has barely changed design since the release of the 4G in 2004, so I would expect that the reason we haven't seen anything new is that any changes will be cosmetic and capacity, nothing as earth shattering as the changes with the 2G->3G nano changes, or 1G->2G Shuffle changes.

TEG

bunnies35

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
That's what I was thinking too, but does that mean that the ipod classic isn't getting touched up [rereleased] at all?

Like for sure the ipod nano has a huge new release, but does that mean they'll just keep selling the 'old' 6th generation? :|

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I doubt that we will see anything major on the iPod classic, maybe a few small cosmetic changes (like the change last year to the aluminum front casing), and maybe a small capacity change, but I wouldn't expect much else, not even a price cut or anything. I also wouldn't be surprised if we see no change at all to the iPod classic or iPod shuffle.

atoothelex

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
I had heard there wasn't any larger capacity hard drive to put in the iPod Classic, is this true?

yes, that is true. there is not a hard drive 1.8" larger than 160GB... yet. But also, the 120GB Zune will sell @ $249. This means that Apple needs to make price cuts on the classic if they want to be competitive

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think we won't see much change in the classic outside of a capacity bump to 120 GB (low end) and 240 GB (high end) models and some tweaks to the display interface.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
All i want is for it to be faster... load my menus, and music faster. I will be happy.

Maybe if i post this as many times as i see a new thread about the new Classics, it will come true... (if i can keep up...)

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Suddenly I'm interested in what's coming

I was all ready to not really be all that interested in this, until yesterday when someone broke into my car, during the day, parked in a city parking garage. So, now I need to replace the ipod (had a 5G 30GB) and my GPS.

Give me some good news apple!

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Another possibility could be that Apple consolidates the line to a single 120 GB model. I know there are many people who would want larger on this forum, but above 120 GB capacity isn't a big market compared to what the other models bring in.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I wouldn't be surprised if they just dropped the model entirely or at least the 80GB version. I don't think the Classic is going to be around for much longer. A year or two at the most.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I've heard there won't be any HDs bigger than 80/160 (single/double platter) GB until 2009. Therefore, I can only see one of these happening:
  • 80 GB: $199, 160 GB: $299
  • 120 GB: $249, 160 GB: $299
  • 160 GB: $299
And I don't think it or the nano will be dropped anytime soon.

AEP

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2007
With iTunes 8, browse your artists and albums visually with the new Grid view; download your favorite TV shows in HD quality from the iTunes Store; sync your media with iPod nano (4th generation), iPod classic (2nd generation), and iPod touch (2nd generation); and enjoy a stunning new music visualizer.

From Front Page.

Are we are still on the first G of the classic?

So maybe there will Be.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The Zune will be available in a 120GB model very shortly, so Apple might want to add an iPod Classic with that capacity.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
With iTunes 8, browse your artists and albums visually with the new Grid view; download your favorite TV shows in HD quality from the iTunes Store; sync your media with iPod nano (4th generation), iPod classic (2nd generation), and iPod touch (2nd generation); and enjoy a stunning new music visualizer.

From Front Page.

Are we are still on the first G of the classic?

So maybe there will Be.

I feel like the Classic is 6G of what was once called "iPod", now "iPod classic", so I'd guess we'll see 6.5G(HD bump and/or price change, brighter screen, better battery)

I'm hoping 3G shuffle! It will be 2 years since it launched, 1 year since that color change(only like 8 months since that 2GB model though)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
The Zune will be available in a 120GB model very shortly, so Apple might want to add an iPod Classic with that capacity.

Why? Apple has a 160GB iPod classic......Apple may indeed update to that, but I don't think they have to keep up in that market.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
I feel like the Classic is 6G of what was once called "iPod", now "iPod classic", so I'd guess we'll see 6.5G(HD bump and/or price change, brighter screen, better battery)

I'm hoping 3G shuffle! It will be 2 years since it launched, 1 year since that color change(only like 8 months since that 2GB model though)

Me too-I'd like to be able to set a EQ preset in iTunes (similar to how volume limit set for shuffles) for a shuffle.

2 years since the earbuds were updated-perhaps the cords could be in black/silver to match the iPods. Or include the in-ear type Apple earphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.