PDA

View Full Version : iPod Classic on Sept. 9?

atoothelex
Sep 2, 2008, 05:55 PM
Ok, i know there has been much talk of a new iPod classic on the MacRumors forums the past month, but is there actually gonna be one released on September 9th? Is there any evidence? I mean there are at least leaked pics of the new nanos and touches, but nothing for the classic.

TEG
Sep 2, 2008, 06:08 PM
The classic has barely changed design since the release of the 4G in 2004, so I would expect that the reason we haven't seen anything new is that any changes will be cosmetic and capacity, nothing as earth shattering as the changes with the 2G->3G nano changes, or 1G->2G Shuffle changes.

TEG

butterfly0fdoom
Sep 2, 2008, 07:55 PM
We'll probably just see a capacity bump, but no new generation, like the 5.5G

bunnies35
Sep 2, 2008, 09:41 PM
That's what I was thinking too, but does that mean that the ipod classic isn't getting touched up [rereleased] at all?

Like for sure the ipod nano has a huge new release, but does that mean they'll just keep selling the 'old' 6th generation? :|

MasterNile
Sep 2, 2008, 09:43 PM
I had heard there wasn't any larger capacity hard drive to put in the iPod Classic, is this true?

JML42691
Sep 2, 2008, 09:52 PM
I doubt that we will see anything major on the iPod classic, maybe a few small cosmetic changes (like the change last year to the aluminum front casing), and maybe a small capacity change, but I wouldn't expect much else, not even a price cut or anything. I also wouldn't be surprised if we see no change at all to the iPod classic or iPod shuffle.

atoothelex
Sep 2, 2008, 10:02 PM
I had heard there wasn't any larger capacity hard drive to put in the iPod Classic, is this true?

yes, that is true. there is not a hard drive 1.8" larger than 160GB... yet. But also, the 120GB Zune will sell @ $249. This means that Apple needs to make price cuts on the classic if they want to be competitive

butterfly0fdoom
Sep 2, 2008, 11:12 PM
Then the 80 will probably bump to 120 and somehow Apple will increase the battery life. I doubt there'll be anything cosmetic.

SactoGuy18
Sep 2, 2008, 11:29 PM
I think we won't see much change in the classic outside of a capacity bump to 120 GB (low end) and 240 GB (high end) models and some tweaks to the display interface.

elmateo487
Sep 3, 2008, 01:26 AM
All i want is for it to be faster... load my menus, and music faster. I will be happy.

Maybe if i post this as many times as i see a new thread about the new Classics, it will come true... (if i can keep up...)

KingofAwesome
Sep 3, 2008, 10:58 AM
I was all ready to not really be all that interested in this, until yesterday when someone broke into my car, during the day, parked in a city parking garage. So, now I need to replace the ipod (had a 5G 30GB) and my GPS.

Give me some good news apple!

HiFiGuy528
Sep 3, 2008, 02:58 PM
220GB at current 16GB price would be nice.

BlizzardBomb
Sep 3, 2008, 03:13 PM
Another possibility could be that Apple consolidates the line to a single 120 GB model. I know there are many people who would want larger on this forum, but above 120 GB capacity isn't a big market compared to what the other models bring in.

Diatribe
Sep 3, 2008, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they just dropped the model entirely or at least the 80GB version. I don't think the Classic is going to be around for much longer. A year or two at the most.

iMacmatician
Sep 3, 2008, 03:40 PM
I've heard there won't be any HDs bigger than 80/160 (single/double platter) GB until 2009. Therefore, I can only see one of these happening:

80 GB: $199, 160 GB: $299
120 GB: $249, 160 GB: $299
160 GB: $299

And I don't think it or the nano will be dropped anytime soon.

AEP
Sep 3, 2008, 03:41 PM
With iTunes 8, browse your artists and albums visually with the new Grid view; download your favorite TV shows in HD quality from the iTunes Store; sync your media with iPod nano (4th generation), iPod classic (2nd generation), and iPod touch (2nd generation); and enjoy a stunning new music visualizer.

From Front Page.

Are we are still on the first G of the classic?

So maybe there will Be.

CWallace
Sep 3, 2008, 04:02 PM
The Zune will be available in a 120GB model very shortly, so Apple might want to add an iPod Classic with that capacity.

zap2
Sep 3, 2008, 04:11 PM
With iTunes 8, browse your artists and albums visually with the new Grid view; download your favorite TV shows in HD quality from the iTunes Store; sync your media with iPod nano (4th generation), iPod classic (2nd generation), and iPod touch (2nd generation); and enjoy a stunning new music visualizer.

From Front Page.

Are we are still on the first G of the classic?

So maybe there will Be.

I feel like the Classic is 6G of what was once called "iPod", now "iPod classic", so I'd guess we'll see 6.5G(HD bump and/or price change, brighter screen, better battery)

I'm hoping 3G shuffle! It will be 2 years since it launched, 1 year since that color change(only like 8 months since that 2GB model though)

zap2
Sep 3, 2008, 04:12 PM
The Zune will be available in a 120GB model very shortly, so Apple might want to add an iPod Classic with that capacity.

Why? Apple has a 160GB iPod classic......Apple may indeed update to that, but I don't think they have to keep up in that market.

Cyburnclassic
Sep 3, 2008, 04:23 PM
They probably either:

*Make small changes: different colours, better battery, better quality screen
*Have only 120GB version
*Have 80GB and 160GB versions but give price drops.

aafuss1
Sep 4, 2008, 04:55 AM
I feel like the Classic is 6G of what was once called "iPod", now "iPod classic", so I'd guess we'll see 6.5G(HD bump and/or price change, brighter screen, better battery)

I'm hoping 3G shuffle! It will be 2 years since it launched, 1 year since that color change(only like 8 months since that 2GB model though)

Me too-I'd like to be able to set a EQ preset in iTunes (similar to how volume limit set for shuffles) for a shuffle.

2 years since the earbuds were updated-perhaps the cords could be in black/silver to match the iPods. Or include the in-ear type Apple earphones.