PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day...

eyelikeart
May 26, 2002, 02:50 PM
anyone doing anything interesting for Memorial Day....

are u even off work?

I'm probably taking my bike out to the lake and riding the trails...

actually....I did it yesterday....am going later again today....and will almost indefinitely do it tomorrow...

damn I've missed having my bike...he he he:D

King Cobra
May 26, 2002, 02:59 PM
Tomorrow, I do not have class, so I have the day off.

I will probably watch The Price Is Right and post forums (at different times, probably). If I get time I will load in the new CD I got, 18 by Moby. Eventually I will find something to watch on TV, then I will kick back and bull:::: for the rest of the day. :)

Fear the King.

sparkleytone
May 26, 2002, 04:18 PM
i've still got summer school :/ good ole German 101.

Zenith
May 26, 2002, 05:01 PM
Memorial Day? Never heard of that... Is it an american holiday?
I'm about to do my final exams at school and wont have my vacation until late in June... :(

King Cobra
May 26, 2002, 05:16 PM
http://www.usmemorialday.org/

If you do not care to read throughout the website, Memorial Day basically is a day of rememberance of our USA fighting soldiers who have died in war.

I already have a flag custom made from a 3D program printed out for the vertical part of my desk, so if I decide to do homework tomorrow it will help remind me of why we have this day.

Fear the King.

cleo
May 26, 2002, 05:40 PM
I too have massive amounts of summer school homework to do - bleh. I'm also working on a super-secret super-important project, but sadly I cannot tell you about it, or I would have to kill you. :D

I think I've also been brainwashed by the incessant tv adverts to go to the JC Penny Memorial Day Sale for 15% off a bunch of useless crap.

Mr. Anderson
May 26, 2002, 05:45 PM
Not much, got the day off and am going to work on some projects, at home and on the computer. Might go see some of the Rolling Thunder down on the Mall if it doesn't rain.

Alpha, you'd love it, went by the Pentagon parking lot and it was 2/3s full with thousands of bikers getting ready for tomorrows ride around the capitol. Totally nuts. I'll get pictures if I'm out.

Nice touch with the colors there cleo.

D

eyelikeart
May 26, 2002, 05:53 PM
speaking of the Pentagon....I watched an hour long special on it yesterday...The Learning Channel I believe...

sorry I still forget we have overseas members here...didn't think I'd get a "what is memorial day" response...he he he;)

and I noticed u added some patriotic colors to the avatar cleo...is for anything in particular? :D

AlphaTech
May 26, 2002, 06:10 PM
I'll be heading up to my sister's/mother's place tomorrow for a combo b-day/memorial day party for my grandfather. I will be making my world famous deviled eggs for the party (when I get up there). I will be riding my Harley to get there, weather permitting.

resm
May 26, 2002, 08:06 PM
also no Memorial Day here. (yes...there are other countries then the USA)

but yesterday was Vesak Day and since it did fall on a sunday today is a holiday

http://www.buddhanet.net/vesak.htm

if you do not care to read troughout the website (thats for King Cobra :) )
Vesak Day is the Birthday of the Buddha

King Cobra
May 26, 2002, 08:13 PM
if you do not care to read troughout the website (thats for King Cobra :) )
Vesak Day is the Birthday of the Buddha [/B][/QUOTE]

All right, easy big guy.

I usually still take the time to read people's websites and I read that. I only posted a background information with my post for those who may have felt lazy, for whatever reason.

BTW, nice sarcasm. :)

Fear the King.

Wildcat
May 26, 2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
i've still got summer school :/ good ole German 101.
I start german 101 June first!
Anyway no plans all my friends are out of town. :( So it looks like I will be spending a lot of time on the boards.

Backtothemac
May 26, 2002, 09:32 PM
yep, it is official. I am jealous. I have to go drag myself into work tomorrow. Alas, my boss doesn't want to miss out on any opportunity to bring money into his company. Well, think about me tomorrow as you all enjoy your day off.

cleo
May 26, 2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by resm

but yesterday was Vesak Day and since it did fall on a sunday today is a holiday

For some unknown reason my sangha celebrated Vesak Day last weekend, despite my protests that Vesak Day was not, in fact, last weekend. Damned Americans. :D

I'm in such a good mood... just had dinner with an old girlfriend and had such a nice time... beer, good food, beautiful company... ::sigh:: i miss having a life, sometimes :D

AlphaTech
May 26, 2002, 09:38 PM
Well then, Backtothemac, I guess you don't want to hear how I have all of this week off. :D We have summer hours in effect now, which gives me roughly every other Friday off. I just hope that the weather is nice tomorrow, so that I can ride the Harley. I don't ride it in the rain.

Backtothemac
May 26, 2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
Well then, Backtothemac, I guess you don't want to hear how I have all of this week off. :D We have summer hours in effect now, which gives me roughly every other Friday off. I just hope that the weather is nice tomorrow, so that I can ride the Harley. I don't ride it in the rain.

Dolt!!! Man, that is just not fair. Well, I have off Friday, and me and my daughter are going to have a daddy daughter day. Then Saturday we are going to have a yard sale. Her Mom is going to Louisiana on Saturday for a wedding, so it should be interesting.

Well, I can say enjoy your week, and try to get on here an post every once in a while.
:cool:

3rdpath
May 26, 2002, 11:16 PM
nothing too exciting.

help the mrs finish painting her office a nice mellow lavender(after 10 years of running other people's companies, she's hung out her own shingle-yippee!).

we'll steal away for a relaxed lunch together then later head with the kiddo over to a neighbor's house for a cookout and some of my famous margs. the kids will play in the sandbox and the adults will shoot the breeze.

simple and sweet.

Rower_CPU
May 26, 2002, 11:25 PM
I'll be attending the commissioning of a friend of mine. He's headed out to Pensacola flight school.

Other than that, relaxing, doing house work...maybe working on a secret project of my own...

jelloshotsrule
May 26, 2002, 11:38 PM
hmm... hopefully some golf if the weather's nice.

and sit around. as usual... could maybe see a movie or go bowling too. that can be fun.

3rdpath
May 26, 2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
or go bowling too. that can be fun.

man, i love bowling. me and the mrs went bowling on our first date-totally unplanned. i knew she was THE ONE when she put on those blue and red shoes with her nice dress and just went for it; not a self-conscious bone in her body.

maybe we'll sneak in some bowling tomorrow-that would be choice.

thanks for the idea.

SilvorX
May 26, 2002, 11:53 PM
up here in canada we dont get holliday for memorial day, we do get remembrance day in november, n v-day is coming up soon (or else tomorrow but i'm confused lol) but we only get remembrance day off

jelloshotsrule
May 26, 2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
man, i love bowling. me and the mrs went bowling on our first date-totally unplanned. i knew she was THE ONE when she put on those blue and red shoes with her nice dress and just went for it; not a self-conscious bone in her body.

maybe we'll sneak in some bowling tomorrow-that would be choice.

thanks for the idea.

well in the past i've posed ideas that were a bit more.... off the wall shall we say. glad this "normal" one went over so well... ha

that's a cute story. i went to a concert with my girlfriend. she had a boyfriend at the time.... but i suppose i shan't go on about that since this is about memorial day... so. done.

3rdpath
May 27, 2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
but i suppose i shan't go on about that since this is about memorial day... so. done.

can i say that this new idea of staying on topic BLOWS!

what we get are a series of "i do this" & "i do that" without any interaction. its killed the discussion.

the unmitigated egotistical gall...

Rower_CPU
May 27, 2002, 12:10 AM
And a chant begins to rise up from the ranks of MacRumors members. It can be heard just barely drifting on the breeze, but it slowly increases in volume and pitch:

MUTINY! MUTINY! MUTINY! MUTINY! MUTINY! MUTINY!

jelloshotsrule
May 27, 2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
can i say that this new idea of staying on topic BLOWS!

what we get are a series of "i do this" & "i do that" without any interaction. its killed the discussion.

the unmitigated egotistical gall...

well... there's always pm and whatnot.... as i've recently discovered.... ha

i agree, it's not much fun. not much spontaneity. excitement. joking. etc.

as for the last line.... what? (i'm dumb, i know)

bowl me a turkey!

AlphaTech
May 27, 2002, 12:16 AM
As the immortal bard (Bart Simpson) once said... 'eat my shorts' :D

I would start something, but since I am about to hit the sack it would be a wee bit difficult. Add to that the fact that I won't be home most of the day and it becomes pointless (more then a bit like 3rdpath's last post). :D

There will be time enough for that tomorrow night, and Tuesday, since they are talking rain here... I hate weather men, they rarely get it right, but when they do, it's on days where I want them to be wrong. They should be the second set up against the wall when the revolution comes. Right after lawyers and tax attorneys. :D

Centris Fan
May 27, 2002, 01:03 AM
Originally it was in rememberance of those who died in the Civil War, where more Americans died than in any other war. Veterans Day, or Armistace Day every where else, was for those who died in World War I. Unfortunately, because so many soldiers died in so many wars, it became hard to have a day for each war. It's too bad that the day has become more about barbeques and less about remembering those who died for all the freedoms we enjoy in this country today.

eyelikeart
May 27, 2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
And a chant begins to rise up from the ranks of MacRumors members. It can be heard just barely drifting on the breeze, but it slowly increases in volume and pitch:

MUTINY! MUTINY! MUTINY! MUTINY! MUTINY! MUTINY!

he he he....well if it's gotta get off topic....then by all means go for it!!!

I'd feel honored to have a highly-posted thread with my name as the starter...:D

King Cobra
May 27, 2002, 07:44 AM
All right. Why don't I digress a little... :)

FYI, Alpha, I just checked weather.com and it looks like you may see thunderstorms during the night hours.

And would someone tell me what types of eggs he is talking about:

I will be making my world famous deviled eggs for the party (when I get up there).

That would be some party. The best of luck on the weather. Besides, how often has The Weather Channel been accurate anyways? :)

Fear the King.

AlphaTech
May 27, 2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by King Cobra
That would be some party. The best of luck on the weather. Besides, how often has The Weather Channel been accurate anyways? :)

Too often when I want nice weather and they predict the opposite. If I was staying local it wouldn't be a problem, but since I am going about an hour, I don't feel like risking it.

Look up deviled eggs on www.foodtv.com that will give you an idea.

eyelikeart
May 27, 2002, 11:25 AM
too bad I don't like deviled eggs...everything else Alpha cooks up sounds so damned good...:D

well I'm about to head out for some grilled goods with my family...

I've already got the bike loaded up in the car...I'll be at the lake later this afternoon on the bike trail...

have a great day guys and see u later... :D

Backtothemac
May 27, 2002, 11:44 AM
Well, lets see, so far today I have created an instruction set for a user on how to access root in Terminal. I am reinstalling an Exchange Server in Minn. I have had three viruses show up at one of our sites. SirCam, Nimda, and BadTrans. All in all it has been a very sucky day, and I am jealous of you guys that are off today. Enjoy your day with your family.

Mr. Anderson
May 27, 2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Well, lets see, so far today....

Ouch, sorry you had to work. I spent most of my day doing yard work intermixed with rendering a project. One sad note, I use to cut trees down as a summer job back in Connecticut, still have all my climbing gear and saws. So when a coworker asked me last fall to cut down a 70' dead hickory tree in his back yard I was excited because it solved my firewood problem for the coming winter. The wood was already aged and ready to burn. So I climbed up, put a rope in it at around 50', repelled down and had some friends pull it over as I did a back cut. Spent two days and four truck loads collecting the wood and dropping it off in my backyard. I then spent the next 3 weeks chopping it all up for fire wood, gave a bunch away to friends and was still left with almost a cord of wood. Can't get too much better than hickory, burns long and hot. Well, ends up the winter totally sucked for fires, should have burnt more, but that's just hindsight, it just wasn't cold enough.

I go out today and start looking at all that stacked wood and think it will be good through the summer and I can use it again next year. Well, after deciding to clean it up, restack it and make more room, I find out that all the bugs that had been dormant all fall and winter had been at it over the past couple of months there was so much sawdust (done by the termites) that it was a total dissaster. Not wanting those termites to get tired of hickory and come looking at the house, I've had a fire going in an old washing machine tub (perfect for portable bonfires) all day and I still have 3/4 of it to go. Damn, such a waste. And it been 85 degrees, so all that fire is just making things hotter on the patio. On a side note, I had things so hot at one point that the old brass fireplace shovel I was using to clear out the ash from under the barrel broke off and as I pulled out the shovel piece it bent from the heat. I could have molded it to something.

I have been using the hose to cool things off every 30 minutes or so.

Well that was my fun for the day!

AlphaTech
May 27, 2002, 06:40 PM
My day would have been perfect except for the rain storm I got caught in on the way home. Needless to say that my jeans were soaked from mid-thigh down. I hope my boots don't take too long to dry out, so that I can ride by Wednesday.

The family gathering was good, and my eggs went fast, as they usually do. :D

King Cobra
May 27, 2002, 06:44 PM
That lousy Weather Channel. It seems as if these guys get paid 6 or 7 digits to not only be accurate only 33% of the time, but also only be accurate to dampen someone's day!

Shoot, I shouldn't have used the word dampen... :)

So, Alpha, did you ride the bike in the rain? Or were you expecting, at the very least, a cloudy day?

Fear the King.

AlphaTech
May 27, 2002, 06:44 PM
Another thing... when I got home today, my landlord had pulled all the metal screening out of the front porch. This gives me more room to use my gas grille, which I will be doing more since it is getting to be summer time. You can't beat a filet done on a grille :D...

It's nice to have a landlord that is cool, lives below you in a two family house, and makes improvements on the place. Considering how many bad landlords I have had in the past, it's nice to have a good one.

AlphaTech
May 27, 2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
That lousy Weather Channel. It seems as if these guys get paid 6 or 7 digits to not only be accurate only 33% of the time, but also only be accurate to dampen someone's day!

Shoot, I shouldn't have used the word dampen... :)

So, Alpha, did you ride the bike in the rain? Or were you expecting, at the very least, a cloudy day?

I got caught on the motorcycle on the way home... It was nice when I left my place before noon, so I decided 'what the hell' and rode. It was good almost all the way home. About 15 minutes from home, the sky opened up on me.

I agree... the weather men get paid way too much to be acurate as infrequently as they are.

3rdpath
May 27, 2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
the weather men get paid way too much to be acurate as infrequently as they are.

tv stations could save a lot of money if they just let local elementary school kids take a daily crack at it. they couldn't be any less accurate.....

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 09:07 AM
You all complain about weather prediction now, with all the satellites and scientific calculations that go into making a best guess. Imagine what it was like before we had all this great tech, or even before we had telegraph, so you didn't even know what was going to happen day to day. At least now we have some idea of what the weather is going to be like, even if it misses a rain shower now and again.

Look at what happened in Texas at the turn of the century when a hurricaine ripped through Galvaston - no preparation and thousands of people died.

Macmaniac
May 28, 2002, 10:51 AM
I spent most of my memorial day on the road heading back from the Aderondacks!

jelloshotsrule
May 28, 2002, 10:56 AM
well my day was good. i golfed well (backdawg... 86, but 39 on the front!- best ever on that course i think for 9...)

and i had some good dinner. eggplant parmigian.

and i spent the day with my girlfriend....

only bad thing is now she's gone and i'm back to finding a job.... blah

eyelikeart
May 28, 2002, 11:00 AM
I had some great bbq at my mother's house....then I went for a great bike ride...out by the lake...not too many people out...

after I popped open the hatch on my car and laid out drinking a bottle of water & had a powerbar...was great to relax & watch cars & people go by...

lot of hotties out too...he he he...

I did manage to crash really early last night...10:30....I got worn out...I haven't been into my bike in nearly 6 months...so I'm working it back... ;)

3rdpath
May 28, 2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Look at what happened in Texas at the turn of the century when a hurricaine ripped through Galvaston - no preparation and thousands of people died.

there was actually an amateur weather guy in galveston who saw the signs of it...the barometric pressure was going nuts. he went thru town telling everyone but no-one would believe him. theres a book "death from the sea" (i think its called) that has many personal accounts of the storm. the whole island was under 20 feet of water and the amateur calculations of wind speed were over 300 mph.....it was truly a monster-huge storm. i was always a weather nut and really enjoyed those texas storms-nothing like em.