PDA

View Full Version : iPhone will not charge when GPS is in use - it's a huge battery drain!

Rybold
Sep 3, 2008, 03:09 AM
Yesterday, I charged my iPhone3G from "10%" until completely full using my car charger. No problems at all. Today, I was on a "mini road trip," and I was using my GPS, yet even though I had it plugged in, the battery kept getting lower and lower, and then the "20%" and then "10%" warnings popped up. Upon seeing 10%, I looked more closely, and noticed that instead of the usual "lightning bolt" in the battery indicator, it had an image of the power plug but the battery was at 10% and not full. I disconnected my phone and then reconnected it several times. Nothing. Then I exited the GPS application and turned "location services" to off, and WHAALAA!!!, my phone began charging. About 30min later, I turned Google Maps back on but kept the location/GPS off. My phone kept charging. As soon as I clicked on the bottom left corner for the GPS and it asked me if it was "OK" and I tapped "OK," I then noticed the battery stop charging. I'm guessing that the GPS is such a battery drain, that trying to charge at the same time could harm the battery, and so the iPhone is programmed to not charge when the GPS and 3G are both running.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

dpierre
Sep 3, 2008, 03:52 AM
I thought I was losing my mind. This has been happening to me since day one.

jmmo20
Sep 3, 2008, 04:40 AM
Maybe the car charger isn't drawing enough power?

alFR
Sep 3, 2008, 04:43 AM
I'm guessing your car charger doesn't deliver the full 4.75-5.25v 500mA required for a USB2 high bus powered device. If you've got a multimeter it'd be interesting to test it and see.

mavis
Sep 3, 2008, 04:59 AM
I'm guessing your car charger doesn't deliver the full 4.75-5.25v 500mA required for a USB2 high bus powered device. If you've got a multimeter it'd be interesting to test it and see.Wouldn't it be great if the iPhone 3G only required 500mA? It actually needs 1000. ;)

For the OP, this is a known problem. In certain situations, the iPhone 3G uses more power than a charger can provide: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=552317

alFR
Sep 3, 2008, 05:03 AM
Wouldn't it be great if the iPhone 3G only required 500mA? It actually needs 1000. ;)

What, you mean 1A? ;)

Interesting if true - the iPhone power adapter is rated at 5v 1A, yes (the original iPhone one is the same) but the max power spec for USB2 is supposedly 500mA. If it does need 1A, how come it'll charge from a standard USB2 port then?

Bye Bye Baby
Sep 3, 2008, 05:10 AM
I have noticed that the phone draws more power than it can take from the charger- both in the car and plugged into the wall.

I have noticed it with GPS and with Netshare.

When plugged in, you get longer, it slows down the drain, but it will not keep your phone charged.

mavis
Sep 3, 2008, 08:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Wouldn't it be great if the iPhone 3G only required 500mA? It actually needs 1000. ;)

What, you mean 1A? ;)

Interesting if true - the iPhone power adapter is rated at 5v 1A, yes (the original iPhone one is the same) but the max power spec for USB2 is supposedly 500mA. If it does need 1A, how come it'll charge from a standard USB2 port then?

Yeah, that's what I mean. :)

As for your question, I don't know - I use a powered USB hub, which I had assumed was the reason my iPhone 3G was charging while plugged in. But I actually had trouble with a 3600mAh external battery pack rated at 800mA output (@5v) - it charged my iPod touch just fine, but not my iPhone. I had to buy the UPB10 (rated at either 1.5 or 2A, IIRC) to get it to charge ... The iPhone 3G definitely has more demanding charging requirements than its predecessor.

rywat
Sep 3, 2008, 09:08 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I think you mean "voilą!"

animenick65
Sep 3, 2008, 09:34 AM
I have this problem with my car charger as well. Although I think the problem is that the GPS is draining the power faster than your car charger can charge, hence why it probably gets very hot while charging and using GPS at the same time.

Rybold
Sep 3, 2008, 02:10 PM
I have noticed that the phone draws more power than it can take from the charger- both in the car and plugged into the wall.

When I have my phone plugged into an AC wall socket, it charges VERY FAST! Even when I'm using it, it still charges up. (and obviously, I have the GPS turned off when I'm charging it at my house or office) I turn the "location services" to OFF in the settings unless I'm actually using the GPS. This also makes using the camera faster; if location services are set to Off, it will Not ask you the annoying question of whether it is okay if the camera uses the GPS.

I have this problem with my car charger as well. Although I think the problem is that the GPS is draining the power faster than your car charger can charge, hence why it probably gets very hot while charging and using GPS at the same time.

The back of my phone did get very warm (not in the sun). In fact, I even removed my rubber InCase so that the phone could dissipate heat more quickly. That's the only drawback to cases; they impede thermal cooling, and when using the GPS or constant 3G, the battery gets hot. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the protective case on my phone.

Conclusion: GPS on the iPhone is not sustainable for extended periods of time.

ajthomason
Sep 3, 2008, 02:16 PM
I've had this problem, but I put it down to the phone overheating and shutting off the charging circuits. It will happily charge if you only listen to music, but when you use GPS for a while with the screen on, it gets very hot and refuses to charge to prevent damaging the battery (hence why the 'full' indicator shows)

cdesigns
Sep 3, 2008, 02:26 PM
Mine does charge while using GPS, but I have mine connect to the computer via the USB cable. Maybe you car adapter doesn't have enought mAh to charge the iphone.

I'm inside a building and the GPS use more power to fix the position and still is charging.

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/6745/phone003mediumkg0.jpg

Rybold
Sep 3, 2008, 02:39 PM
I've had this problem, but I put it down to the phone overheating and shutting off the charging circuits. It will happily charge if you only listen to music, but when you use GPS for a while with the screen on, it gets very hot and refuses to charge to prevent damaging the battery (hence why the 'full' indicator shows)

Mine does charge while using GPS, but I have mine connect to the computer via the USB cable. Maybe you car adapter doesn't have enought mAh to charge the iphone.

Hmmmm. Interesting. I'll have to do some experimenting then and see if it's overheating instead of the GPS that is causing the charging to shut down. Thank you for the info.
(I'm going to turn my GPS on next time I am in my car, and observe whether the charging shuts down immediately or whether the phone needs to heat up for the charging to shut down. Then I'll do a separate experiment with the GPS turned off and I'll just keep loading 3G websites over and over and get it to heat up, and then see if the charging automatically turns off.)

AC charger: "1Amp" ____ DC car charger: "500mAh"

ajthomason
Sep 3, 2008, 02:54 PM
(I'm going to turn my GPS on next time I am in my car, and observe whether the charging shuts down immediately or whether the phone needs to heat up for the charging to shut down. Then I'll do a separate experiment with the GPS turned off and I'll just keep loading 3G websites over and over and get it to heat up, and then see if the charging automatically turns off.)

Please don't do it while driving ;)

cjandnw
Sep 3, 2008, 02:59 PM
...thought my charger was broke and threw it away :mad:

Rybold
Sep 3, 2008, 02:59 PM
Please don't do it while driving ;)

That's what stop lights are for. ;) You know it's green when the person behind you honks. :D

NT1440
Sep 3, 2008, 03:00 PM

the iphone automatically stops charging once it hits a certain temp as a safety feature...

has anyone tried seeing if when cooled (yes its a hassle) if it will charge when running gps/3g?

Excellerator
Sep 3, 2008, 03:35 PM
the iphone automatically stops charging once it hits a certain temp as a safety feature...

has anyone tried seeing if when cooled (yes its a hassle) if it will charge when running gps/3g?

Try putting the phone in the direct path of the air conditioner vent. That may cool it down.

Rybold
Sep 4, 2008, 08:43 PM
Both yesterday and today, I conducted both experiments.
Experiment one: I used the GPS when the phone was not hot, and I plugged the phone in and it charged. As soon as the phone got too hot (about 15min later), the charging shut off. I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in and it would not charge. I turned my phone off and let it cool down. I used GPS while charging and it worked fine until it again got too hot.
Experiment two: While using my phone with location services turned Off, I noticed my phone was getting hot. I plugged it into my car charger (I was sitting in a parking lot) and started downloading internet pages back to back on 3G, and within 5 minutes my phone got really hot and the charging shut off. I let it cool down and repeated. Same result.

Conclusion: GPS is not the cause; overheating is the cause of the phone automatically disabling battery charging. In other words, when the phone has reached a hot enough temperature, it will not allow you to charge it. In the Future, whenever charging my phone in my car and using GPS or a lot of 3G at the same time, I will be sure to remove the rubber case from my iPhone3G to allow more efficient cooling.

equlizer
Sep 4, 2008, 09:36 PM
(knock on wood) I've never experienced anything like this before with my iphone. I'm not sure what to say here. you guys must have bad phones or something?

jmmo20
Sep 5, 2008, 02:31 AM
What, you mean 1A? ;)

1000 mA is the same as 1A so what's the issue here then? :D

Dr. Cabrera
Sep 5, 2008, 02:52 AM
Please refer to this thread, I have already covered all the details about this situation

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=552317&page=2

Good detective work though OP

Moderators please close thread

alFR
Sep 5, 2008, 03:00 AM
1000 mA is the same as 1A so what's the issue here then? :D

Unit-based pedantry on my part. :)

ajthomason
Sep 5, 2008, 10:16 AM
Conclusion: GPS is not the cause; overheating is the cause of the phone automatically disabling battery charging. In other words, when the phone has reached a hot enough temperature, it will not allow you to charge it. In the Future, whenever charging my phone in my car and using GPS or a lot of 3G at the same time, I will be sure to remove the rubber case from my iPhone3G to allow more efficient cooling.

My prediction was right it seems - good to have it confirmed. At first, I thought it was my charger then noticed it would happily charge after I just locked it at left it for a while.

Rybold
Sep 7, 2008, 12:28 AM
My prediction was right it seems - good to have it confirmed. At first, I thought it was my charger then noticed it would happily charge after I just locked it at left it for a while.

I'm glad we now know the cause. I almost panicked when it first happened because I was driving somewhere important, and I needed both my GPS and my phone! and the 10% battery warning had come on and it wouldn't charge! :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:
It's nice to now know the cause of this in case it happens again. :cool:

danielspencer2
Nov 2, 2008, 06:19 PM
you should submit this iphone gps bug to apple via their website.

TheSpaz
Nov 2, 2008, 07:31 PM
Okay. It might be the chargers you guys are using. I have the Griffin AutoPilot and today I used GPS on my way home and my iPhone charged fine and got to 100% and stayed that way even while I was using GPS the whole time in Maps.

Dr. Cabrera
Nov 3, 2008, 05:00 AM
apparently you guys are too lazy to click the link i provided... so ill just post the information on this thread -___-

Guys stop posting and read what has been stated already... here are the facts

- USB output = 5v 500mah ( maximum allowed spec)
- AC output = 5v 1000mah ( maximum allowed spec)

- Car chargers 5v 500-2000mah ( maximum allowed specs)

The thing you guys don't seem to realize is that those ARE MAXIMUM allowed specs. I have a Belkin 5v 2000mah car charger that will STOP charging the iPhone if it overheats ( from using 3g, GPS + music all at the same time). When I realized this I was able to keep the back of the iPhone cool and was able to keep the phone charging for the whole trip.

Do I know the exact amperage draw of the phone ? NO, but I do know that it was less than 2000 mah ( otherwise the internal 2 amp fuse, which I verified was still intact) would have blown out.

The maximum draw the iPhone was designed for was 2.6 amps.

The most broad answer then is that when all the radios are turned on we get a amperage draw of between 1000-2.6 amps. Realistically the draw must be below 2000amps

The older apple car chargers will not work if you try to max them out because most of those are spec'd to max out at 1000amps. I bought a cheap Chinese iPhone 2g charger for my iPhone 3g, and the fuse blew out ( it was a 1 amp fuse), so obviously when the all the radios are on, there is a larger than 1amp draw.

TheSpaz
Nov 3, 2008, 09:00 AM
apparently you guys are too lazy to click the link i provided... so ill just post the information on this thread -___-

Thank you. My iPhone charges correctly because it's not in a case then?

Rob Mclovin
Nov 3, 2008, 10:10 AM
Ya it seems that it won't charge if it's taking to much power. Like sometimes I will be using safari pretty heavely, I'll plug it into the wall, and then it will show the power plug, I'll unplug it, and it would be a low battery. So then I would have to restart the phone and wait like 5 minutes for it to actually charge.

Mad Mac Maniac
Nov 3, 2008, 10:31 AM
awesome work!

So then the moral of the story is, if you want to use gps in the car remove the case and/or blow the AC on it!

firewood
Nov 3, 2008, 01:08 PM
GPS is not the cause; overheating is the cause of the phone automatically disabling battery charging. In other words, when the phone has reached a hot enough temperature, it will not allow you to charge it.

Interesting. I'll have to test this on a long drive by resting my iPhone on one of those frozen ice packs, while simultaneously charging and running a GPS app.

I wonder if it's the iPhone that overheats and stops charging, or the car charger adapter?

Dr. Cabrera
Nov 18, 2008, 04:05 AM
Thank you. My iPhone charges correctly because it's not in a case then?

Yup, your case is working like a sweater. I would try to cool it from the back.

awesome work!

So then the moral of the story is, if you want to use gps in the car remove the case and/or blow the AC on it!

AC or just any air will cool it ( if you are saving gas ;P )

I wonder if it's the iPhone that overheats and stops charging, or the car charger adapter?

It would be hard to test this out without opening the Iphone and testing precisely how much charge is being drawn, but since the 2amp fuse in my charger did not blow it must be the iPhone that stops charging once it overheats.

eelpout
Jun 23, 2010, 07:15 PM
Holy crap... I would not believe this had I not experienced it myself yesterday while using GPS and data simultaneously on a 3G (using Waze). I watched the battery percentage tick down in the car about a point every other minute, while plugged in!!

I've never seen that happen in any GPS equipped phone or PDA before *ever*.

Man, Apple gets away with a lot. ;)

I was using a 5v, 1000ma charger in the car... I thought that was suppose to be enough to prevent this? Obviously not. What charger out there pumps out enough to do GPS and data simultaneously in the car? Maybe I need one that does 5.2v...

(and just to be clear, WiFi: off, BT: off, 3G: off; it was NOT in any case so no heat issues. Using 4.0 with no other apps running but Phone and Settings)

mbaran
Jun 23, 2010, 07:26 PM
holy old thread batman