PDA

View Full Version : new display purchase?

nico_rep_nico
Jan 15, 2004, 12:17 PM
ok here is the deal.....i have a 17in sony crt that sucks....my brother just got a 17in imac....the cpu's are in the same room and in the corner of my eye i see that brilliant colorful vibrant 17in lcd everytime i am at my g4 dual 1.4....is it not the time to buy an apple display?
im thinking that the 20 cinema display would work for me ,,,,,,,but if new and better displays are only days or weeks away i would wait......what should i do....????????????

or what would you all do?

jrv3034
Jan 15, 2004, 01:20 PM
Man, you're in a tight spot. I'm not sure what to recommend. If you absolutely must have an Apple Cinema Display, then just go for it. The current styling will match your G4 perfectly, and your brother will be the one drooling.

HOWEVER, as you said, new ones might be just around the corner. But most likely they'll match the new G5 aluminum styling, which in turn won't match your G4 acrylic case. They might also have a price drop scheduled.

Of course, you can always buy it now, and if a better one shows up, just sell yours on eBay for almost what you paid for it.:)

nico_rep_nico
Jan 15, 2004, 01:29 PM
yea i know....but really, how much better can they make the apple display?

i know about the price drop and that is what is holding me back....if i can save 100 bucks from the display ill put that in another 512mb or another hard drive////////oh well thats for the reply/////

Sabbath
Jan 15, 2004, 03:30 PM
I have a 20" cinema and I adore the thing. I regard the display of a computer as far more important than anything else since Ive had it ok excluding the OS ;)

I bought it about 4 months ago now and there were rumors of display updates then. You really cant tell when Apple will update there displays as they do it so rarely. I think it depends on the sort of person you are as to whether you'll be really annoyed if your display goes "out of date" in a couple of months, or if you'll value that couple of months use. Price drops however are much more annoying than updates! :rolleyes:

And if youre just looking to save a few hundred dollars, maybe try looking for a refurbished one.