PDA

View Full Version : How many Aussies?

sluthy
May 26, 2002, 07:25 PM
I've been surprised to notice a fair share of Australian posters on these pages. For a while I felt like I was the only Mac fan in Australia, but this site has given me hope. :)

So how many Aussies are there? I know a couple, please tell me if I miss out on you (don't be harsh please, this is off the top of my head).

mac15
Beej
j763

sluthy
May 26, 2002, 07:35 PM
I forgot mmmdreg. Sorry.

sluthy
May 26, 2002, 07:45 PM
Beej is in Melbourne...

mac15 is in Sydney (where else would he be)...

mmmdreg is in Sydney...

j763 is in Melbourne.

So more specifically, anyone from Queensland?

britboy
May 26, 2002, 07:47 PM
Are you having a nice chat here sluthy? :p

You'll probably have to wait a while for responses from your fellow ozzies.

Macette
May 26, 2002, 08:24 PM
macette

melbourne

pleased t'meetcha

jipper
May 26, 2002, 08:29 PM
right here.
melbourne.

MR Lurker
May 26, 2002, 10:51 PM
Ozzie! Ozzie! Ozzie! Oi! Oi! Oi!

Ah, brings a tear to the eye.

MR Lurker - Adelaide

Beej
May 26, 2002, 11:08 PM
Look at us all come from out of the woodwork!

Before I came here, I too felt that I was the only Mac fan in Australia. Apple Aus does nothing good for the Apple brand. A lot of people don't think Macs even exist amy more...

mac15
May 27, 2002, 02:16 AM
more the merrier
and they did play the imac ad on TV the other night which was cool

sluthy
May 27, 2002, 05:06 AM
There are a lot of us!

So there's also Macette, Jipper and MR Lurker. Cool.

I also agree with Beej, Apple Australia needs a kick in the a*** to get more shops and supplies out there. The one out here is a pretty backyard job, but it does the job - with a waiting list.

Anyone else? From Queensland?

j763
May 27, 2002, 06:20 AM
Hey,

i also saw the apple ad -- i just caught the very end of it during 7's Alias. In the other week's episode, Alias featured transperant Mac OS X terminal windows too :D

Anyways, on the subject of Apple Australia, you guys have to remember that they sell less macs in Australia & N.Z. combined than they do in San Francisco metro (excl. bay area) -- i.e. not many. So that's probably why there isn't so much cash floating around in Apple Aus.

Beej
May 27, 2002, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by j763
Anyways, on the subject of Apple Australia, you guys have to remember that they sell less macs in Australia & N.Z. combined than they do in San Francisco metro (excl. bay area)...and why do you think that is?

j763
May 27, 2002, 07:18 AM
beej, i hear what you're saying but the guys at apple usa probably couldn't care less about australia... because even if apple australia had loads of cash, it still would be a tiny market here... and i can't see apple usa bothering to get involved all the way down here, as depressing as that is...

MR Lurker
May 27, 2002, 09:13 PM
Hello, fellow Aussies

I have a quick question about the pricing of Macs in Australia in relation to international currency conversion. For example, the low-end FP iMac is $US1399 and $AUS3199 (incl. GST). Now, assuming there's currently $AUS0.56 to the $US1.00, by my calculations the low-end Mac should be priced roughly:

$US1399 / 0.56 = 2498 + 249.80 (GST) = $AUS2748

My point is, even taking into account shipping and GST, the Macs in Australia appear to be several hundred dollars overpriced comparatively speaking to the US market.

Of course, I have no experience in these matters, so there may be a legitimate reason for all this.

Macette
May 27, 2002, 11:16 PM
yep - overpriced. try 1100 for an ipod... ouch.

it's because they suck and we're suckers.

xc
x

mac15
May 28, 2002, 12:10 AM
If the aussie dollare was a bit stronger then I wouldn't of had to pay $3900 for my imac.....:(

But macs are on heaps and heaps of aussie TV
Every person on the 'Secret life of us' has one, and they were in 2 commercials I saw yesterday
Colgate ad:Cinema display in background
Lean Cuisean ad: Cinema dispays, newG4 imac (it looks awesome) a few ti-books

so it ain't that bad;)

aafuss1
May 28, 2002, 03:15 AM
QLD
Even Verisign sign bills are costl.y here-Styardiock software. For example Harvey Norman has a Canon printer (S200-does it work with macs?) for $159 while other stores eg. Myer have it for $190. I have a imac brochure- tyhe iphgoto page is misleading. Why- Apple does not know of consumer image editors for PC.

And Sunberam owns the rights fopr the "Classic" word- not to desvcrbe a osx feature, but a appliance.

kiwi_the_iwik
May 28, 2002, 04:23 AM
Do Kiwis count, then? I'm from Auckland originally - but, like so many of my countrymen, moved to Australia when I was 21 (what we NZers refer to as the West Island! Ha!). I lived in Sydney for about 6 years (the Big Smoke), where I met my future wife. A week after we got married, we moved to London - and have more-or-less been here ever since, and have got a little 2 year old boy called Oscar (lucky bugger's got a U.K. AND an Aussie passport, so he's set for life!). Apparently, he's going to be some great Aussie cricketer one day, according to one of my wife's wierd clairvoyant friends.

Hmmm...

However, "I still call Australia home...";)

ntg
May 28, 2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by MR Lurker
Ozzie! Ozzie! Ozzie! Oi! Oi! Oi!

Ah, brings a tear to the eye.

MR Lurker - Adelaide
Yes - it brings a tear to mine, too!! (I was out there for the Olympics, and the noise was as loud as the hospitality was good)

Thanks.:cool: :D

britboy
May 28, 2002, 08:15 AM
Did you know you're all descended from british criminals? Australia was used as a prison for the the perpetrators of the worst crimes in the UK.

That's probably why Australians do so well in the track events in the olympics ;) :D

Beej
May 28, 2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by britboy
That's probably why Australians do so well in the track events in the olympics ;) :D But we don't! We suck at track. We're good at swimming... heh - we got good a that from trying to swim back 'home' to England! :p

Oh, and thanks for the history lesson :p

But what about all the people who moved out here for the gold? Australia was good for more than just English criminals (and still is :D)

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2002, 08:45 AM
It started out as a penal colony, but beej is right, Australia had plenty if imigration that was voluntary.

My grandmother on my mother's side was from Australia - not sure where, but her familly moved there from Ireland. She moved to South Africa later and met my grandfather, so I'm partially Australian, bet you didn't figure that, eh beej?

I was born in South Africa, but my dad was American, so I was a US citizen from the start. And I only spent 3 years there and have no memories, just some pictures.

So does that make me an honorary Aussie?

Beej
May 29, 2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I'm partially Australian, bet you didn't figure that, eh beej?Ahhh, everyone has a bit of the Aussie spirit somewhere deep inside!

mac15
May 29, 2002, 02:11 AM
yeah a littrle bit of layied back lazyness in all of us:D

Beej
May 29, 2002, 03:26 AM
Heh... laziness, larrikinism, and uh... laid backness!

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Beej
larrikinism

That one escapes me.

And I don't think I have much of the layed backism, I'm a little more active and first to jump up to go do something.

However, there's also nothing wrong with a nap, now and again....

Beej
May 29, 2002, 06:17 PM

That one escapes me. 'Larrikin' is a colloquial Aussie term, meaning "a person given to comical or outlandish behavior." (according to dictionary.com)

It just means you're a funny bloke.

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 06:30 PM
It just means you're a funny bloke.

Well I've been called that, for more than one reason.....

:p

Beej
May 30, 2002, 06:37 PM

Well I've been called that, for more than one reason.....

:p Right. Well you must be part Australian! :D

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2002, 07:12 PM
Right. Well you must be part Australian! :D

And you never know beej, we might be related.......

Does that scare you?:D

Beej
Jun 1, 2002, 05:36 PM
Does that scare you?:D More than you could possibly imagine! :p

mac15
Jun 1, 2002, 11:54 PM
and I might ad beerdrinkinism
americans have to wait until they are 21 before they can drink.....hehe
but aussies canstart when they are 18 or earlier........;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 2, 2002, 03:04 PM
If waiting for the 21 stopped anyone from getting a beer, that's their own fault (or you're like jello and think beer tastes like piss). I know it never stopped me, especially when I was in college, beer flowed quite easily.

Beej
Jun 2, 2002, 05:16 PM
I'm going to have to agree with jello there... beer tastes like piss. Does this make me any less of an Aussie? :(

Mr. Anderson
Jun 2, 2002, 06:40 PM
Well, it all depends on what you've been drinking. Its like wine or even olive oil, by generalizing it on one or two types you're making a misinformed opinion. There are so many types of beer, and I'm not all that keen on the 5 or so I've had from Australia. I know there are more, so don't bash me on what types of Aussie beer you have.

What types have you tried beej?

RowdyFROG
Jun 2, 2002, 08:22 PM
Ah, I get back from the bush and find all these posts about the centre of the known universe.

Tremendous. A few points:

-Apple Aus does suck. The market could be much bigger if they tried just a little

-The price thing sucks most. We even get the short end of the stick on special deals and we get taken for a ride in that Apple's policy doesn't allow international orders. Otherwise we could order from the US and ship the stuff out for cheaper than we can buy from a reseller here. More fool us!

-We aren't all descended from British crims, and those who were saw the light when they finally reached God's own country. Who wouldn't turn to crime living in a dull, smelly, dirty, wet, cold place like the UK? I'm sure those who go back there to live have a screw loose:D

-Only Queensland beer and Fosters tastes like piss. If you think otherwise you must have actually been drinking piss.

-Don't get me started on that devil spawn called Bundy - you call that rum?!;)

-Light beer...WHY?

-We spell things correctly here

-Few things satisfy the soul as much as beating the yanks at sport (or at anything else for that matter) but at least they take it well. Beating the poms and the kiwis comes close - they don't take it so well

Now that I've made so many friends, you should all come here and see what a great country this really is. Party at my place, anytime. Fremantle, Western Australia is my place, and you will all succumb to the fervour and swear allegiance to the mighty imperial purple of the Freo Dockers.

Time to pull up stumps. Be well, Rowdy

jelloshotsrule
Jun 2, 2002, 08:38 PM
If waiting for the 21 stopped anyone from getting a beer, that's their own fault (or you're like jello and think beer tastes like piss). I know it never stopped me, especially when I was in college, beer flowed quite easily.

it's less that i think beer tastes like piss and more that i think drinking to get drunk is dumb and pointless, and drinking not to get drunk is dumb and pointless.... the first because i don't need to be drunk to have fun. the second because if you're not gonna get drunk, why not just drink something that tastes better.

and if beer is an acquired taste, at some point one has to drink it to get drunk in order to get to the point where they "like" it.

i believe there are decent tasting beers. but for the reasons i pointed out, i'll pass.

word up.

Beej
Jun 2, 2002, 09:44 PM
You da man, frog! :D Except for the dockers bit.. the mighty don's all the way!

I've tasted a lot of beer from all round Aus and all round the world. Aussie beer is by far the most un-piss-like beer, but it still tastes like piss.

Give me a bourbon & coke any day!

Cheers!

RowdyFROG
Jun 2, 2002, 11:06 PM
See you under the roof on 25th August, my friend, for some more skull splittin' action. :eek: Ouch!

Is there nothing we can do to get Aussie mac prices in line with the rest of the world?

Macette
Jun 3, 2002, 12:35 AM
up the mighty Catters!

(ps beer is horrible. you WA kids have some nice wines tho'..;) )

benipk
Jun 3, 2002, 03:51 AM
Good to see a few aussies - Darling 'scarp, in perth, WA is where I'm based:) . And like everyone else I'm pissed at Mac prices, even when thre dollar was high ~80 cents to the US dollar macs were still too expensive - the retailers think that no-one will notice and just keep pricing high and enjoy ripping mac users off.

Beej
Jun 3, 2002, 04:17 AM
Hey rowdy, I like your location... Freo - center of it all... heh, geographically speaking, could you be further from the truth? :p

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 06:50 AM
Nice 'tar beej,

Hard core bourne, ha, very nice.

Check your sig, though....

Beej
Jun 3, 2002, 06:59 AM
Check your sig, though.... OK, it's late, and I've just handed in a huge assignment. What's wrong with my sig?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 3, 2002, 07:20 AM
It had hardcore horn earlier, just thought you'd like to know to change it if you forgot. Its fixed, so don't worry......

Beej
Jun 3, 2002, 08:47 AM
It had hardcore horn earlier, just thought you'd like to know to change it if you forgot. Its fixed, so don't worry...... You must have seen it in the 30 second gap between when I changed my 'tar and when I changed my sig. :)

RowdyFROG
Jun 3, 2002, 06:38 PM
geographically speaking, could you be further from the truth?

Well, as far as conventional knowledge goes, my world revolves around Freo, therefore everyone elses should as well, and until SETI comes up with something plausible, Freo must also be the centre of the universe.

Simple, undisputable logic. (Yes, isolation does give us a slightly over-inflated opinion of ourselves!)

Freo, the axis of anti-evil

MR Lurker
Jun 3, 2002, 09:13 PM
Is it because Buzzle collapsed?

Beej
Jun 4, 2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by MR Lurker
Is it because Buzzle collapsed? No. Buzzle has nothing to do with it. Prices were still far to high when they were around.

Rowdy - LOL :D

mac15
Jun 5, 2002, 12:33 AM
Most beers taste like piss

but those who are from australia know of the delightful Crown Lagers
they have to be the nicest tasting beer out there

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by mac15
Most beers taste like piss

Am I going to have to start up a beer thread? Most beers don't taste like piss. And, btw, when was the last time you were drinking piss, mac15? I'll fly over there and we can do a taste test, and you can tell me which is the piss and which is the beer...

Beej
Jun 5, 2002, 06:07 PM

Am I going to have to start up a beer thread? Most beers don't taste like piss. And, btw, when was the last time you were drinking piss, mac15? I'll fly over there and we can do a taste test, and you can tell me which is the piss and which is the beer... Heh :) You can count me out of that one...

It's really only personal opinion. You can't tell someone their wrong about not liking something. If you could, we'd all be using peecees :(