PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Panics Please Help!

RiseAgainst
Jan 15, 2004, 03:01 PM
Ok, recently I have been getting an extraordinary amout of Kernel Panics. I am running 10.3.2 on a 1 Ghz 17" PB. Most of the time the panic will happen when i start up. Not always at the same point though. Sometimes it is at the circle loading thing, sometimes at the login screen and sometime when its finished logging on. And sometimes it happens just for no reason in the middle of something. However, when it does happen i will have to restart like 10 times casue it just keeps happening time after time.

I only have one stick of 512 Apple RAM that came with the PB and no peropherals are attched when it happens.

I've repiared permissions, ran all of Cocktails maintence stuff, ran fsck, reset the PRAM and reset the PMU.

Nothing has worked.

Any suggestions other than a clean intall of panther? Cause thats what im fealing im gunna have to do.

Thanks

pncc
Jan 15, 2004, 03:21 PM
This is probably a hardware problem. I would:
- reseat the RAM and Airport card.

- Run Apple hardware test CD

Also:
- Startup in Single User mode by holding S at startup and see if it panics.
- Add new User or login to another one if you have one and see if it panics. If it does you know you have a corrupt preference or kernel extension that needs removing.

RiseAgainst
Jan 15, 2004, 03:26 PM
I've ran the Hardware test and nothing failed.

I can boot into single user mode but it has Paniced in single user mode. Its kinda of a dice roll if it works.

And how would i know what Pref. file might be corrupted?

Im gunna try to reseat the RAM now. But the Airport card is built in so i cant reset that.

Thanks.

MoparShaha
Jan 15, 2004, 05:44 PM
Actually, the AirPort card is not built-in. It is removeable, and is often the cause of kernal panics. I'm not sure where the card is on the 17", I think it's in the battery compartment. Look in your instruction book that came with the machine, it will tell you how to remove and install the card. Make sure it is seated firmly. If that doesn't work, I'd say just do a clean install.

Superdrive
Jan 20, 2004, 05:46 AM
I'm running into the same problem with my iMac 800 Superdrive. 10.3.2 is killing me. It goes 3-4 times a day! I tried a fresh install, checked the disks, and no avail. We will see what happens as time goes on. I have a thread in the hardware discussions that I just started about this. Thanks.
__TJ__