Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
So I just recently purchased the new Canon Digital Rebel XS (also known as the 1000D). This is my first digital camera (though I've shot with an old film SLR before). Currently I'm having some trouble with how my photos are appearing online. Since iPhoto doesn't yet recognize the XS's RAW files I have to import them through Kodak's software. From there I've been using Adobe's Bridge and Raw Importer for Photoshop to do color tweaking. When I save out high quality JPEGs (and create subsequent smaller JPEGs) I'm ending up with pictures that look great in Photoshop, iPhoto, Safari, basically every Mac app... but terrible in Firefox or PC-based browsers.

I'm thinking this is a color profile issue, but I'm at a loss as to how to fix it. How can I make sure that I'm seeing un-adjusted, un-molested color throughout the process so I can be sure to create files that will look good everywhere?

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
have you changed the colour profile on the camera from sRGB to Adobe RGB?

please do this it's the first thing you should do on a DSLR, it might help. The Adobe RGB gives much nicer, richer colours imho

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC

please do this it's the first thing you should do on a DSLR, it might help. The Adobe RGB gives much nicer, richer colours imho

Hmm. I'll try that when I get home.

I guess my real question is, what can I do to the files I've already brought over and adjusted in Adobe Camera Raw? Is there something I can do to flatten down whatever color profile is being applied on my Mac in Apple's application so that those nice saturated colors persist on PCs?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

He said he is shooting RAW. If true the above does not apply. An image is not yet in any color space until it is converted from raw to jpg, or tiff. If he is using some third party software to do the raw-->jpg converson then he has to tell that software what color space to use.

So? What color space are your JPG files in? non color manged displays are mostly built to assume all files are in sRGB. So if your jpg files are in sRGB the dumb Windows browsers will be making the correct guess. But if your files are in Adobe RGB or any space other then sRGB then the dumb browser is guessing wrong. Bottom line is that anything you put on the web had best be in sRGB.

What you your self use for your own work can be anything. Use Adobe RGB if you like. It has a wider range. Of course wider range means bigger jumps between steps. So you decide. I use raw as my archive format mostly so I don't have to decide. But I do use PS CS3 to edit some images. My workspace is set to aRGB but I convert when I export from .psd to .jpg All the jpg files I send to the web, email or to a printer are sRGB

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
By default firefox does not turn colour profiles on.
To check or put it on read this blog it tells you how......

You are correct. But the problem is that you'd have to get every Firefox user to turn on color profiles. That would be hard. When you put your files on the web it's best to just assume that people will be looking at them without color management enabled. Also 99% of the screens out there are un-calibrated. So it's best to just make the file so they will look good on these un-mangaged screens. The best you can do is convert whatever you publish to sRGB from whatever you like to use yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.