PDA

View Full Version : New Space Vehicle Ideas

Thanatoast
Jan 15, 2004, 03:53 PM
Okay, so we've got this proposal to scrap the shuttle and build something new. What should this new vehicle look like? What should it do? Just crew? Crew and cargo? A plane, a rocket? Should it run OSX? What are your thoughts and ideas?

edesignuk
Jan 15, 2004, 04:02 PM
Would this do?

http://mario.lapam.mo.it/enterpri/gifs/Ent-D04.jpg

Thanatoast
Jan 15, 2004, 04:50 PM
personally, i'd prefer a soveriegn class. but if you wanna fly around in the 24th century version of a GMC Yukon Eddie Bauer Edition, i suppose you can.... :p

But seriously, one of the proposals I've heard is to split the tasks of cargo and crew, and I think this sounds like a good idea. One craft to deliver crew to orbit, another to fly cargo. Both separate would probably be cheaper than the shuttle, because each is only designed for one purpose.

I think in the politics thread, someone mentioned leaving a shuttle in orbit with the ISS to, ironically, perform shuttle duty, hauling people back and forth around the planet fixing satellites. The ISS could still be integrated into the new space plan as a staging area.

MoparShaha
Jan 15, 2004, 07:38 PM
Galaxy class all the way! :D

I like the idea of keeping a space vehicle in orbit. Reminds me of the liitle golf cart things we've got running around our University to do errands. It's just what the astronauts need. I imagine it's also a good contingency plan incase of a disaster aboard the ISS.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 15, 2004, 10:25 PM
Single stage to orbit :D

D