Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rich1963

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
I would like to know the correct method for using metax on movies already in iTunes. I tried it on one, but it resulted in two copies in iTunes. The problem is, the copy in iTunes that supposedly had the tags written had no film behind it, and when I deleted the other movie in iTunes, the movie could not be found anymore when clicking on the title that supposedly was tagged. Make sense? Do I have to remove the movie itself from the iTunes library folder, delete the entry in iTunes, run metax and allow it copy the new file into iTunes again? Help me out here. Thanks in advance. :D

tomd51

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Assuming you're not running into any disk space issue or any other problems during the Metax tagging process, Metax should be creating a duplicate of your original file, but with the new tags, then when the process has completed, the original is deleted (or retained if chosen in the Metax settings, IIRC). Once this process has completed, the next time the file is selected or info is requested in iTunes, the updated tag information should be there. If not, try quitting and relaunching iTunes to make sure.

I've never experienced the problem you've encountered, but typically I will tag a movie before adding it to iTunes. However, I have had to update preexisting movies with new/additional info and the process I mentioned above allows for the updated file to be shown with the new information.

You may also want to make sure that you're using the latest version of Metax, depending upon whether you're on Leopard, Tiger or an earlier release... -TD

Rich1963

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Interesting. I'm running the latest version of MetaX, and I have a Drobo with 4TB of disk space, so space isn't an issue. What is the setting to have MetaX discard the old file? I am aware of the 'copy file to trash' option, but not that one. Thanks.

gadabout

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
doesn't metax have a way of tagging things within itunes? i know lostify does, and i think i remember metax doing it too... if you right-click on something in itunes, is "edit tags in metax" an option? it may not be those words, but that message... you may have to enable it within metaX first.

emegmac

macrumors regular
May 19, 2007
I had this problem f I tried to open the movie before I used the itunes plug in. If i just import the movie then send it to metax it does not do this.

tomd51

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Interesting. I'm running the latest version of MetaX, and I have a Drobo with 4TB of disk space, so space isn't an issue. What is the setting to have MetaX discard the old file? I am aware of the 'copy file to trash' option, but not that one. Thanks.

Sorry, my bad, it is the 'copy file to trash' option I was thinking of, I was on my laptop at the time I replied to you and couldn't remember the setting. I don't have that option enabled, so when the process runs, Metax creates a temporary file w/the same name in the same directory the file exists (you can see this while the process occurs), then when the tagging is complete and the new file is created, the old one is automatically deleted. iTunes recognizes the symbolic link to the file, so the information is updated the next time you view it within iTunes. One thing you may want to check is that if you have the 'send to iTunes' when finished

Out of curiosity, I decided to re-tag a couple of movies; two with a few changes, two with whole tag updates. All of them were correctly updated within iTunes and did not require any delete and re-add process. The only options I have enabled in Metax are the 'get data' options, everything else I choose to do manually... -TD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.