PDA

View Full Version : Pro Audio Switcher

lessthandmb
Jan 15, 2004, 04:49 PM
When my home studio opened in 2000 i was running a pentium 3 1 ghz system with 512mb ram and a 60-gig hd. In 2002 i updated to XP and had no problems from then on. I was using cubase sx on pc and was having very little problems maybe 1 crash every 2 months. The main problem was speed... wasn't able to run many tracks with the plugins I had. So this Oct. I purchased a brand new dual2.0ghz g5 with 512mb ram and a 160-gig hd. I purchased motu Digital Performer 4 and the g5 came with panther. Now in January I'm beginning to regret this decision. First of all i must say OSX is flawless. It's a pleasure to work with everyday. Now on the hardware side. The speed is very good but I'm an audio engineer and obviously the control room must be as quiet as possible. The system itself...pretty silent. Now the crunching squeaking and chirping that is coming out of my speakers and headphones is far form silent. My clients complain almost everytime about the noise that is coming from their headphones in between takes. Digital Performer is awful. I have never used a program that loves to randomly quit to often. My recommendation for any audio engineer or musician/engineer stay away from the first generation g5' and digital performer. The combination of the two has all but ruined my mac experience.

Edot
Jan 15, 2004, 05:46 PM
Why did you not purchase Logic? It is owned by Apple and optimized for the G5 Processor! Does Digital Performer do things that Logic doesn't? I am not familiar with either program, but at a glance they look like similar applications. I think Logic would have been a better choice. Now with it being at version 6 I would think it would be a no brainer. However, I have no real authority on Audio apps.

cpjakes
Jan 15, 2004, 06:51 PM
What interface are you using with your G5 and DP? You didn't mention it, but I can't imagine that you're using your built-in analog connections on the G5, so what are you using for your external gear? And did you switch anything else when making the Windows -> Mac transition?

I have had little problems with Performer on my DP 450 G4 (an almost 3.5 year old machine). While I don't totally push the system, it is very stable and clean.

cpjakes

lessthandmb
Jan 16, 2004, 03:00 PM
Still using my trusty tascam-us428...same as on my pc. I heard logic isnt too great for audio so maybe one of you could change my mind.