Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justanothernerd

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Hey,

So I've been reading about jailbreaking for the past few days, and I think I'm ready (well, almost ready ;) ) to take the plunge. I'm in the US with a 3g iPhone and I want to jailbreak my phone so I can tether it to my new netbook when I'm on the go and need some tubes.

How would you guys go about jailbreaking? As a windows user, it seems that my choices are either QuickPwn or WinPwn...what is the difference between using either? I've read stuff about it, but I'm still confused. I read this on the forums, but it doesn't make sense to me:
Quickpwn is fast because it doesn't require a ipsw restore, but it will not let you customize your ipsw. Winpwn is powerful but will take longer to install because of the additional ipsw restore.

Also, realistically speaking, is there a high chance that I'll brick my phone? I've read of "bricking" happening to some people, but it seems both rare and most of the time, fixable. Also, in case I ever need to take my iPhone to apple to get repaired, is jailbreaking totally reversible?

Edit: One last thing, is bluetooth required for tethering? My Asus Aspire One doesn't have bluetooth, so I'm hoping it's not required...the iPhone just creates an ad-hoc WiFi network, right? Also, has anyone here been successful tethering to a Linux machine?

raziiq

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
If you follow all the instructions there are very minor chances that you ll brick your iPhone, Just follow the instruction given in the thread below

HTML:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/550964/

As far as QuickPWN and WinPWN is concerned, i ll recommend WINPWN as it gives you the option of activation/No Activation.

Happy Jailbreaking
Best of Luck :)

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Yes, I would also suggest using WinPwn. Its a little more complicated, but not much at all in the first place and much more powerful. Start with simple mode, follow the instructions in the sticky at the top of this forum and once you get to know the program and what everything does and how it works you can go back and use expert mode if you do not like something

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.