PDA

View Full Version : insider news on the next coming months - transition to "TouchBook"

SphericalPear
Sep 4, 2008, 10:13 AM
ok, let's stop with these guessing games.

a friend of mine let me know about what apple's strategy will look like for the transition to the (what you refer to as the) "touchbooks":

- to empty their stocks, Apple will try to sell off as many of the remaining MBs and MPs and MPAs as possible. the MPA was apparently a major investment which will be *replaced* by the "TouchBook" - do NOT expect any further MBA upgrades. (i guess that this explains also the unusually long period of non-updates to the MBA - and remember that while having been something of a marketing gag, Apple never focused on the MBAs again really. the future for *both* the iPod/Phone series AND the laptops will be the TouchBook series eventually.
-> thus, expect minor upgrades to the MB and MBP series, but the MBA won't get much of a boost other than some changes to get people to buy it (it's a highly profitable deal for Apple as it's overpriced even in comparison to the MBP series. with that (as with the first-generation iPods), Apple harvests the surplus from the high-spending-power people.

- the TouchBook will come in 01/01/09, kind of ending the seperate lines of Apple products. what you'll buy is different "sizes" of the TouchBook. nano, normal (current touch/phone sizes), 12" (one-screen) and, the most exciting innovation seems to be what Apple is up to with the prior conventional models, say the MB. Basically, the "screen" will be the primary screen, but Apple will make what was formerly known as a keyboard an interactive interface - effectively, it's a secondary touch screen, which for most users will remain a conventional keyboard, but you can use the whole thing as one big screen (both of them). it seems that Apple's AppStore approach will be even bigger on that, i.e. developers will end up exploiting the whole range of possibilities with these TouchBooks. Needless to say, they'll come in different SIZES, which will make most of the price differences. YOu'll be able to play "board games" on them, or you'll be able to do advanced graphics on them (A is currently filing further patents for that use), or the secondary touch screen can become an instrument (say, a piano keyboard) etc etc

- Apparently (but I have no clear insight into this, as it's all in the making), the most innovative system bon will be the interaction *between* TouchBooks. You'll end up using your smaller units to communicate the bigger ones (say, using the bigger one as a TV or jukebox, and the smaller one as a remote control), or there'll be endless opportunities to have multiplayer games - each TouchBook (not the name I hope) nano will be a controler, and a upper-size TB will be a common board-game screen, but each of you has the nano as an individual screen. Scrabble is just the beginning. Video conferences (using Wifi rather than Bluetooth) will become much simpler and more interactive (you can drag and drop documents or photos into a video - not that that's special).

- The AppStore for the iPhone is just the beginning - Apple will go back to focusing on the basic skeleton of the system (OS, some basic apps), but the real benefit of the TBs will come from the non-A developers.

Anyway, much of this is obvious, but I wanted to let you know what I've heard.

-B

SphericalPear
Sep 4, 2008, 10:28 AM
sorry, that's all i know for now. most of this prob has been rumored already, but it's nice to have some sort of credible confirmation...

tMac85
Sep 4, 2008, 10:28 AM
yep. they are dropping the air. no more MACBOOK AIR. GONE . DONE. BANG FLASH GONE.

give me a break. why would they spend that much money only to let it run for a year.

SphericalPear
Sep 4, 2008, 10:30 AM
well, i found it kind of big news and thought people would be interested. it's a major (though expected) strategy turn to have the different iXs converge to a common series.

Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for an one-time transition - you never know with Apple, but I'll keep you posted on news regarding time frame.

Pak^Man
Sep 4, 2008, 10:30 AM
(A) I'm foaming at the mouth and will DEFINITELY be buying a couple when they are out.

(B) While I buy the idea of Apple revolutionizing the way we interact with our notebooks, etc... the idea that they will completely do away with a convention, physical keyboards on MB, MBP for a pie-in-the-sky that might or might not work.... hmmmm unlikely or even impossible.

(C) But always up for new toys!

rdowns
Sep 4, 2008, 10:31 AM
Credible confirmation? - ROFL

bertpalmer
Sep 4, 2008, 10:32 AM
Good one!!!!... Tell me another...

Sorry don't see this happening for some time...

NC MacGuy
Sep 4, 2008, 10:33 AM
I can't wait.:rolleyes:

r.j.s
Sep 4, 2008, 10:36 AM
Gotta love the newbs with the insider info ...

SphericalPear
Sep 4, 2008, 10:36 AM
here's the thing: the macbook air was an exercise in exploration - dropping the optical drives etc, and pressing everything into little space. but in the end, all they did with the air is drop the optical drive from the MB, it's a side product in the transition from the conventional laptop to the "TB". once you have the TBs,it's about extending the iPhone touchscreens (the commercial viability of which needs extending to the 13" scale etc) and double them... well, kind of (sorry, i'm not an engineer)

SphericalPear
Sep 4, 2008, 10:37 AM
please, guys, let's stay peaceful... we're all part of the Apple family ;)

DaleMassey
Sep 4, 2008, 10:38 AM
sorry, that's all i know for now. most of this prob has been rumored already, but it's nice to have some sort of credible confirmation...

:D

Oh dear!

SphericalPear
Sep 4, 2008, 10:40 AM
i haven't seen a question.

of course, if you ask me some, i can't guarantee a satisfying answer - you gotta ask jobs himself :)

Drumjim85
Sep 4, 2008, 10:41 AM
nothing is going to be released on 01/01/09 ... if anything like this comes out, it will be announced at MW and probably for sale a few weeks after.

tMac85
Sep 4, 2008, 10:42 AM
i haven't seen a question.

of course, if you ask me some, i can't guarantee a satisfying answer - you gotta ask jobs himself :)

well at least we know you have VERY high self-esteem.

GoCubsGo
Sep 4, 2008, 10:43 AM
I do not get why people even want a "touch book" I just doesn't seem to appeal to me personally, but whatever.

Thanks for the information, I'm sure I can take it to the bank. Now can you give me some advice on which stock to buy? :rolleyes:

SphericalPear
Sep 4, 2008, 10:43 AM
anyway, i'm just passing on what i know/have heard. i can't guarantee the time frame exactly, but they anticipate january.

to answer that one guy's question: corporations like apple don't sell products only, they reap surplus by being ahead of other systems one step. the creation of the iphone is not the end up will underlie future innovations of full-sized laptop scope.

i better get back to work!

(oh,i wish i still were 13...)

sanPietro98
Sep 4, 2008, 10:44 AM
ok, let's stop with these guessing games.

a friend of mine let me know about what apple's strategy

Whenever someone says "a friend of mine", you can bet its still a guessing game.

Brien
Sep 4, 2008, 10:45 AM
I could see this happening in ~10 years. They won't drop the MBA but they will definitely start doing forced obsolescence of keyboards as the technology comes down in price.

m1stake
Sep 4, 2008, 10:51 AM
Hello my frend! I am the son of a recently dethroned African King and I want sand yuo money! All that is needed is you're bank acount numbor!

Not the most reliable souce, not to mention several of the concepts presented lack historical background. For example, the MacBook Air has not been forgotten, there has been nothing to upgrade to until recently. The same is true for the Mac Pro, it's updated once a year, not retired.

the name touchBook itself doesn't sound so off though, but that's not a leap of faith by any means.

tom burns
Sep 4, 2008, 11:01 AM
This scenario does not sound like apple.

Hls811
Sep 4, 2008, 11:01 AM
here's the thing: the macbook air was an exercise in exploration - dropping the optical drives etc, and pressing everything into little space. but in the end, all they did with the air is drop the optical drive from the MB, it's a side product in the transition from the conventional laptop to the "TB". once you have the TBs,it's about extending the iPhone touchscreens (the commercial viability of which needs extending to the 13" scale etc) and double them... well, kind of (sorry, i'm not an engineer)

Really?? "all they did with the air is drop the optical drive from the MB" - what about working with Intel on an exclusive (at the time) CPU? How about the introduction of the MultiTouch? How about the inclusion of an SSD? How about the backlight keyboard - that wasn't listed from the MB?

If you're going to make statements as silly as "all they did with the air is drop the optical drive from the MB" then you've got to be ready for people to doubt your credibility.

DaveTheGrey
Sep 4, 2008, 11:02 AM
SphericalPear
macrumors newbie

that says it all :cool:

Peace
Sep 4, 2008, 11:06 AM
Wasteland here we come

Hls811
Sep 4, 2008, 11:08 AM
- to empty their stocks, Apple will try to sell off as many of the remaining MBs and MPs and MPAs as possible. the MPA was apparently a major investment which will be *replaced* by the "TouchBook" - do NOT expect any further MBA upgrades. (i guess that this explains also the unusually long period of non-updates to the MBA - and remember that while having been something of a marketing gag, Apple never focused on the MBAs again really. the future for *both* the iPod/Phone series AND the laptops will be the TouchBook series eventually.

And when was the last time that Apple developed a product, put it out to the market and then stopped it after that one initial revision?? Even the Mini - which many people have speculated wasn't one of Steves favorite products - has been out there for years and gotten revisions (albeit slow at times). If they just wanted to use the Air as a "side product in the transition from the conventional laptop to the "TB"" as you put it, then they could have done that internally... they aren't going to use the general public to stress test their hardware and then throw it away for newer technology after a year. I'm quite sure there's revision after revision of the <enter your favorite Apple Hardware here" floating around throughout Apples offices that the public has never seen.

glitch44
Sep 4, 2008, 11:09 AM
Whenever someone says "a friend of mine", you can bet its still a guessing game.

supposedly, apple often times releases fake info into its groups to see which rumors get leaked. either that's happened or someone's just playing a lame joke.

Apple sells millions upon millions of macbooks each quarter. do you think they'd jeopardize that by dropping the keyboard?

modelbehaviour
Sep 4, 2008, 11:14 AM
This thread makes me LOL. Literally.

GGJstudios
Sep 4, 2008, 11:20 AM
... (sorry, i'm not an engineer)
... or a marketer, or a business leader, or anyone who understands research, development, tooling, manufacturing, inventory, cost analysis, sales, marketing, competitive strategy or technology.

Maybe you believe your own BS, but no one with a clue about business would believe the nonsense you posted.

fluidedge
Sep 4, 2008, 11:24 AM
whoever's moderating this thread can you stop deleting my posts please.

This is an obvious troll who is going to just cause trouble. Ban him and banish this thread to the wasteland please

r.j.s
Sep 4, 2008, 11:28 AM
Wow.

SphericalPear
Sep 4, 2008, 01:22 PM
thanks for your comments. also, sorry for the triple-posting, but i am not a frequent visitor of this site, so i apologize for apparently posting in the wrong fora.

1) all MBA 'innovations' (SSD, the Intel stuff...) could direclty pertain to the TB series.

2) i worried about the feasibility concerns, too (expert users, etc... how will these "virtual keyboards" serve our needs etc...). i trust apple here - they clearly will address these issues, either with the help of external keyboards, or by some physical feedback systems (Say, in teh secondary screen, they have finger-guiding frictions etc). i think that'd be possible, but it's certainly a trade-off between innovative user interfaces and the conventional nonvirtual keyboards

3) as for the corporate decision making, none of us has a clue :) however, such a major transition certainly won't be made that abruptly, i.e. without any gradual upgrades of the existing systems on the way. to the person to put forth that fear, i think Apple - in the scenario of zero innovation for, say, the intermediate months (since the first iPhone!) - would first of all die of lackof sales, and secondly it wouldn't prepare the public/costumors for what would otherwise be perceived as too radical. don't quote me on that, i am an academic economist, not a business practioner, and i am filling in the holes in my argument with guess work.

4) anyway, i'll try to squeeze out some further details in the coming weeks, but i can't guarantee anything.

-B

fluidedge
Sep 4, 2008, 01:35 PM
you joined today. You come up with this wild claims with no proof to back them up. Put yourself in our position - what would you think about all this?

SphericalPear
Sep 4, 2008, 01:58 PM
i see, i see. however, i don't think that being an established forum user would qualify me to "leak" Apple insider rumors...

anyway, take it or leave it, but i'd be interested in any feedback or reactions from your side.

-B

mbleopard
Sep 8, 2008, 08:24 PM

Unfortunately I do believe it was just a little more complex to design the MBA, they didnt just drop the optical drive and throw it in a new enclosure, look at the specs and you can see that

as for creating a "TB", its not just about extending the iPhone touchscreens, if I remember correctly I thought the iPhone OS is a modified version of Leopard, while this wouldnt be terribly hard for a company like Apple to create a touchscreen mac, its not exactly about slapping a capacitive touchscreen in place of a normal screen and calling it a day.