Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I need a powerful computer ASAP but the new MacPro should be out by next January. As my dad also needs a computer now, I plan to buy the MacPro to share with him now and when the next generation comes out, get the new machine myself and give the MacPro to him. The problem is that he does not like Mac OS and he is not technically oriented. If I set up bootcamp for him, he will not be able to fix any problem by himself if something goes wrong. My questions is: Can I put a Windows Vista installed HD and turns the MacPro into a normal PC without bootcamp/dual boot?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You can run Windows without OS X installed but I wouldn't recommend it. You can't run hardware updates without OS X.

bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach
if you use bootcamp to set up the partition and then put vista on the machine, you can just choose windows as your startup disk and it'll start up in vista everytime you turn it on just like a windows machine. bootcamp is your friend...not your enemy.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
if you use bootcamp to set up the partition and then put vista on the machine, you can just choose windows as your startup disk and it'll start up in vista everytime you turn it on just like a windows machine. bootcamp is your friend...not your enemy.

I know. I have been doing this on my MBP and found it very useful. However, my dad does not like Macs. I guess actually he does not like the OS. If I can show him that it can run like a normal PC without bootcamp, he may be more willing to use it.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
You can run Windows without OS X installed but I wouldn't recommend it. You can't run hardware updates without OS X.

Do you mean without bootcamp, I cannot install nor update the drivers to run Vista on MacPro?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I know. I have been doing this on my MBP and found it very useful. However, my dad does not like Macs. I guess actually he does not like the OS. If I can show him that it can run like a normal PC without bootcamp, he may be more willing to use it.

Parents and computers are delicate things, so I recommend doing what I do.
Tell them only what they need to know.

"Hey Dad I setup this computer and erased all of the Mac stuff on it, so it only runs Windows."

Dad doesn't need to know if BootCamp exists or even how it works. You just need to provide him peace of mind that he won't have to deal with OS X.

bootedbear

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
Austin, TX
Still not getting the question: why does it matter if bootcamp is there or not if it's set up to just boot into Windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.