Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Touchy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Cape Breton
I created playlists from the library of iTunes then loaded the lists on the iPT. Many of the songs would not "play", that is the time indicator moved but there was no sound. I checked the properties and they are "protected AAC" files vs "purchased AAC" or MPEG which both play OK.
What can be done to correct this.
This is new iPT with 2.0.2 update as of last week.
Songs which I have copied to iTunes from my CD's play OK and the iTunes is set to import CD's with "MP3 Encoder". Is there a similar setting for acquiring songs from Apple into iTunes.
What can be done with the songs already downloaded from iTunes that are "protected" so that I can play them on the iPT?

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Ah, copy protection. You've no doubt run into the tendancy of protected AAC files to only run on your iTunes or one iPod, but not another iPod added at a later time. Now you know why I don't don't buy songs with copy protection. Period. Your best bet is to burn those songs to a CD on your PC, then re-rip them as MP3 files.

Touchy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Cape Breton
Well I only have the one iPod Touch and only synced to that unit. So I don't know. Will try burning to a CD etc. However, when I downloaded the songs from Apple iTunes I had no idea they were "protected AAC". I have tried to find out how to determine this before I download anymore, and if they are "protected" is there a way to change this before downloading? I must say it looks like all the songs I purchased from iTunes are "protected", but if so how do people buy from iTunes, put it on their computer and then synch them to the iPod Touch or iPod?

Touchy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Cape Breton
In reviewing my account I see I have only 2 machines authorized. I presume this is my PC and HP laptop. Therefore, would I have to authorize the iPT in order for it to play the "protected AAC" tracts? Is the solution as simple as this??

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
In reviewing my account I see I have only 2 machines authorized. I presume this is my PC and HP laptop. Therefore, would I have to authorize the iPT in order for it to play the "protected AAC" tracts? Is the solution as simple as this??

I don't think you authorize the iPod Touch like the machines and it doesn't show up in the count of machines authorized.

I think you just need to ensure that the machine you are syncing from is (a) Authorized to play the tracks and (b) is connected to the internet when you sync. The internet is needed I think as I have seen iTunes contacting the store while I sync we iPods with DRM'ed tracks.

Touchy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Cape Breton
OK, the "protected AAC" tracks play on the PC and thus it must be authorized. I was connected to the internet when I synched the playlist from the PC to the iPT!! Where to go from here??

Touchy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Cape Breton
Well thanks for the info and link. I have iTunes version # 7.7.1.11 and will try the restore. Otherwise I am baffled.
As a general question: Given the number of people who download from iTunes to iPods it seems curious that I have this problem and apparently most of the rest of the world can download and play their iTunes selections. I am not "poor me" but just wonder if that is really the case. Could someone walk thru the steps of: 1) you have iTunes on a PC, 2) you have created playlists, 3) you get a new iPod and connect it to the USB, 4) iTunes detects the iPod and the sync screen comes up, 5) you then make your selection of what and how you want to sync, push apply and sync and that is all done automatically. As far as I know that is all that is required. Could someone review this and advise if I am missing a step or not interpreting the sync directions correctly.

thanks

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
Well thanks for the info and link. I have iTunes version # 7.7.1.11 and will try the restore. Otherwise I am baffled.
As a general question: Given the number of people who download from iTunes to iPods it seems curious that I have this problem and apparently most of the rest of the world can download and play their iTunes selections. I am not "poor me" but just wonder if that is really the case. Could someone walk thru the steps of: 1) you have iTunes on a PC, 2) you have created playlists, 3) you get a new iPod and connect it to the USB, 4) iTunes detects the iPod and the sync screen comes up, 5) you then make your selection of what and how you want to sync, push apply and sync and that is all done automatically. As far as I know that is all that is required. Could someone review this and advise if I am missing a step or not interpreting the sync directions correctly.

thanks

That's exactly what I did! It worked for all my iPods, I did have a similar issue with my 1st Gen iPod Nano and I just restored it to factory setting and started again......... then it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.