Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
anybody know if this is possible?

i'd like to use dreamweaver mx to create some php pages on my mac...but...is there a way to setup and edit a mysql database on a mac? anybody know of some utility or something for this? can i just use filemaker to create the database?

i know i can create php stuff on the mac (although i've done it in the past with asp)...but i don't think i can test it on my machine...i'll have to upload (tediously) to do that...unless somebody knows something i don't...

thanks for any thought...comments...people telling me i'm stupid...jv

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
PHP

OS X has apache built in, even on the client version. PHP is already there, waiting to be enabled via the Apache config file.

Just turn on Web Sharing and place your files in the /Library/Webserver/Documents folder and test them out in a browser.

I don't know of any mysql tools. I've only dabbled with it enough to create databases and tables and update them with calls from PHP.

You can get great info for all these topics over at http://www.oreillynet.com

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by firewire2001
heh.. dont you mean ;), ;), ::nudge::, ::nudge::

Well, since he actually says the words...I don't know...maybe.

I'm glad there are a few people out there who get the reference...especially someone in SoCal. :D

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
my linux friend helped me setup the php & mysql servers on OS X

he also helped me install a nice server called webmin... it looked relatively easy to do (just basically type install/setup in the terminal after unpackaging it)

webmin lets me edit the mysql databases & tables without having to type the sql manually; although the terminal can be just as nice

i'll look for links on setting up these servers tomorrow and post them up here if you guys are still interested

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
oh, by the way, i almost forgot to mention that of the OS's i've used within the last few months during the construction of a web site for a competition, mac os x was PERFECT for working with php & mysql

bbedit offers really nice code-highlighting and nifty find/replace features... also, when you double click near parentheses it will select the text between them (useful when look for missing (),{},[],etc)

i'm beginning to think that apple has transformed their os from one that couldn't edit code or serve worth a darn to the choice platform for both (bbedit & photoshop also put X over linux/windows for web design)

apple's really got one great package...

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by kishba
my linux friend helped me setup the php & mysql servers on OS X

he also helped me install a nice server called webmin... it looked relatively easy to do (just basically type install/setup in the terminal after unpackaging it)

webmin lets me edit the mysql databases & tables without having to type the sql manually; although the terminal can be just as nice

i'll look for links on setting up these servers tomorrow and post them up here if you guys are still interested

I'll have to check out webmin, sounds interesting.

O'reilly has all the documentation I used for setting up PHP. It's simply a matter of uncommenting a couple of lines in the httpd.conf file for Apache.

And O'reilly is also nice enough to provide links to a double-clickable installer for mysql, as well as a patch to make it start on system start.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
ok...next questions guys...

DO I DARE INSTALL OS X ON MY G4/400?

geezus...i didn't think i would need it this soon...but wow! if i could do php and mysql stuff...

oh yes...a linux buddy of mine did tell me that i could use filemaker pro to do some database stuff...i'm just not sure how much...it might be possible...maybe...

thanks for the info...this is really great!!!!

jv

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
On a G4...absolutely!

I've even been able to do work on a G3 with OS X.

My TiBook has only a 400MHz G4, but that's plenty good for OS X. My one caveat is that if you're going to be using Classic as well, make sure you have plenty of RAM or else you'lll be paging out all day...not pretty.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
how much is plenty?

i didn't think i would touch OS X for another year...but holllllllllyyyyyyyyy...

my brain is on fire with this revelation...i just haven't really been paying attention to things...

yo!...jv

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
cool...i'm more than ready to go then...

yeah...post those links you mentioned please...i'd like to know more!

jv

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
hmmm...it's funny...i've done this stuff before...but i never had to know these things until now...very strange...

is mysql the same thing as microsoft sql?

filemaker can do the latter...but i'm not sure if it's the same...and/or...if they will work together...i'm not sure how else i could create the database if this won't work...the last time i did and database stuff it was on a pc...but i'm completely fed up with using them...

jv

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
yeah...i was just tinkering...

looks like i'll be using the pc to make the database...

they must have something a mac can use to do that?

i looked through that link already...good info...

thanks much!...jv

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
yeah...but...i found this thing called MACSQL...i think it makes things possible...think i can do this...ALLLLLLLL mac...no pc...

jv

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
i believe that macsql is an app for doing mysql db management in OS 9

you should also be able to run PHPmyAdmin on OS X for that mysql management, no?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Choppaface
i believe that macsql is an app for doing mysql db management in OS 9

you should also be able to run PHPmyAdmin on OS X for that mysql management, no?

I'm not familiar with PHPmyAdmin, and I looked on Versiontracker and didn't see it. Could you give us some more info?

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
I've never used it, but from what I read it's a very helpful tool....written in PHP so it shouldnt need to be ported to work on OS X

as always, google.com search for phpmyadmin reveals:

http://www.phpwizard.net/projects/phpMyAdmin/

as the home page for it

BTW, isn't mysql supposed to be installed as its own user (for security reasons)?

not that security is a big issue here because 1) we're mainly doing site dev not server dev and 2)we're privately testing
but I was wondering since I read it somewhere that it should have its own user.

also does anybody have a link to that 'double clickable' installer for mysql? I installed it a while ago to OS X and got lots of config warnings, but i never ran it so I never knew if it made a difference. i was wondering cuz this installer in question might have an OSX friendly config or something

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
my webhost has phpmyadmin installed on their server and it's very similar to webmin, except a little better in some aspects

either is nice for managing myself databases

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.