Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
My wife likes to keep up on her e-mail when we travel, but I hate dragging a laptop around just for a bit of e-mail every day. We've been using an old iBook G4, and it's fine, but more than I want to carry. With talk of a new iPod touch next week at a lower price, wondering if this would be suitable for checking e-mail at a hotel where wi-fi is available? Not interested in heavy duty use, just e-mail.

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
My wife likes to keep up on her e-mail when we travel, but I hate dragging a laptop around just for a bit of e-mail every day. We've been using an old iBook G4, and it's fine, but more than I want to carry. With talk of a new iPod touch next week at a lower price, wondering if this would be suitable for checking e-mail at a hotel where wi-fi is available? Not interested in heavy duty use, just e-mail.

That is basically the main use of my iPod Touch, for e-mail. I say get it. You can carry it anywhere and check e-mail within seconds where wifi is available.

Mickinator

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2008

It's perfect for that, and more!

Some hotels don't have wireless though. I think that you could get an Airport Express for that situation, but I'm not positive.

Funplex

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I don't even use the Touch for music-- only bought it to use the internet, email, and stuff like that.

The only pain in the butt is having a hard time connecting to free WiFi even though all the bars are full. I asked someone at an Apple store about this and they said it will happen sometimes.

Dudeman486

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
the touch is a great little device for checking email. if price is a concern to you, once the new touches come out on the 10th (assuming that there ARE new touches), the prev. generation refurbs should be cheaper. although the new ones might have goodies like GPS. it's unlikely, but keep your eyes open!

henchosbandito

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Somewhere between 10 and 11
so long as you are using an email address that can sync with mail. For example, i wasnt able to get hotmail working with mail (im not particularly whizzy at these things) so i now have MobileMe and it works perfectly on my touch. I would definitely recommend it. Also, just in case you have a hotmail address, i couldnt access the hotmail website through my touch either, wouldnt let me log in. I dont know if anyone else has this problem??

Luminator

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
. Also, just in case you have a hotmail address, i couldnt access the hotmail website through my touch either, wouldnt let me log in. I dont know if anyone else has this problem??

Free hotmail does not support pop3, however If you pay $20 a year you can get pop3 with a live account. As far as accessing your account through Safari should not be a problem, I'm logged in right now.

safetyobc

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
I have had my iPod Touch since they came out and love it for email. I use it a lot instead of firing up my MBP. I use the Touch to check my email. I use it with gmail and Yahoo Mail. Works great!

And it is a great iPod too! Especially for watching video. The apps make it fun too. I use the Touch to check my facebook, news, weather. It is a mini computer.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Thanks for all the comments. I went into the Apple store today and tried using the touch, and it seems there's a learning curve for the 'keyboard'. I suppose it's something you adjust to. I asked if I could use something like the old Palm stylus to touch the keys, but the Apple person said it depends on your fingers (electrical). I'll wait until the9th to see what comes up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.