Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Hey guys, I'm working on a self portrait assignment for a photo production class in university, and I was wondering if you have or have seen any great self portraits or have any ideas.

I already created this one, which took a few tries but I finally got it right:

img00132cd2.jpg

What do you guys think?

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
thats awesome! good work. but do you really make that face when you open the fridge? try to be yourself in your self portraits as much as possible.

Thanks! I tried that, but it just didn't seem to look right. I think I needed the strange expression just to make the concept work. It's only one of several that need to be handed in next week, but I don't want anything too ordinary.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would lose the face. I know you say that somehow it works but I need convincing.

I would steer clear of the lame ass shots where you're so deep in thought looking out yonder. They're lame and look like you're trying to set up a myspace page. I would also look past the typical face shots and maybe get a bit abstract.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
For a while I tried to do a Flickr '365 days', where you take a self portrait every day for a year. I got fed up and stopped, but it was fun while it lasted. I looked through them the other day and, to be honest and not braggy, really liked some of the ones I took.

665420177_b901bea12a.jpg

930390893_98289dcc3b.jpg

1129312987_485cd8fdb2.jpg

1224440700_acc3cea8b1.jpg

Be imaginative :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
For a while I tried to do a Flickr '365 days', where you take a self portrait every day for a year. I got fed up and stopped, but it was fun while it lasted. I looked through them the other day and, to be honest and not braggy, really liked some of the ones I took.

SNIP NICE PICS

I love them all for some ungodly reason. Call me weird...or don't, I won't mind.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I would lose the face. I know you say that somehow it works but I need convincing.

I would steer clear of the lame ass shots where you're so deep in thought looking out yonder. They're lame and look like you're trying to set up a myspace page. I would also look past the typical face shots and maybe get a bit abstract.

I don't know, for me the regular ones just weren't working. This probably won't end up as my first pick anyway. (We need a minimum of 6, one as 8x10 the rest just as 4x6's) The Prof just wants us to be creative and somewhat outlandish.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I love them all for some ungodly reason. Call me weird...or don't, I won't mind.

haha, do you want to be called weird?

Thanks though, I appreciate it.

I love doing the 365, but I wasn't dedicated enough. I'd continually miss days and rush to catch up, which led to a host of uninspired photos of hands or feet. When I was creative though, I think they turned out well :)

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007

-snip-

How odd, I took this one almost a year ago...

shoeza3.jpg

sorry for the small size, I didn't feel like mounting an external HDD for a larger one :p

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Hey guys, I'm working on a self portrait assignment for a photo production class in university, and I was wondering if you have or have seen any great self portraits or have any ideas.

What do you guys think?

I like it - people don't realise the funny faces they pull when they're trying to decide. This reminded me of my two year old son when he goes to the fridge and the faces he pulls trying to decide between the drinks there in the morning.
Yes it looks a little posed but - I guess its going to. Can we see the regular one too?

Holgapics

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
North Oregon Coast
You might also try something with a timed exposure, anywhere from 1/2 second to perhaps 4 seconds, where you're moving or something similar and then come to a stop. The effect would be to have your action smeared and then somewhat focused at the end. You might also try just a constant blur in your action.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2004
Epic, I like the ones with your feet. I don't like photos of men's feet but I find the perspective interesting. Nicely done.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Epic, I like the ones with your feet. I don't like photos of men's feet but I find the perspective interesting. Nicely done.

Thanks. I do like that photo almost everyone that sees it likes it, but unfortunately I can't use it because I took it before now. I guess I could do another one, but I don't have those shoes anymore, and the bottom of them was interesting hahaha.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I like it - people don't realise the funny faces they pull when they're trying to decide. This reminded me of my two year old son when he goes to the fridge and the faces he pulls trying to decide between the drinks there in the morning.
Yes it looks a little posed but - I guess its going to. Can we see the regular one too?

I couldn't get one with a regular face that was composed properly. Maybe I'll try later on tonight again with a regular face and post it, seeing as everyone seems to be agreeing on it, maybe they're right!

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007

What do you guys think?
I think the face is completely effective. The photo is pretty absurd, it being a view inside-out from a fridge, and the face really plays in that respect. Sure, it lacks a high seriousness, but that's obviously not what you're going for. Especially when you consider lighting, composition and color, this photo is pretty successful technically. The technical decisiveness, contrasted with the rather bumbling good nature of the subject matter is great.

I like this photo for the same reason I like some Coen Brothers' films or Wallace and Grommit. Great technical execution in looking at rather mundane, even clumsy characters.

If you identify with this as a self-portrait, I say submit it.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I think the face is completely effective. The photo is pretty absurd, it being a view inside-out from a fridge, and the face really plays in that respect. Sure, it lacks a high seriousness, but that's obviously not what you're going for. Especially when you consider lighting, composition and color, this photo is pretty successful technically. The technical decisiveness, contrasted with the rather bumbling good nature of the subject matter is great.

I like this photo for the same reason I like some Coen Brothers' films or Wallace and Grommit. Great technical execution in looking at rather mundane, even clumsy characters.

If you identify with this as a self-portrait, I say submit it.

Thanks! Finally someone sees it the way I do.

But for everyone else, here are 2 normal ones, but I can't decide which I like better...

img0018tq0.jpg

img0020vt3.jpg

I think I'm leaning more towards the second one.

Also, here's another one I took:

img0021nf6.jpg

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Thanks! Finally someone sees it the way I do.

But for everyone else, here are 2 normal ones, but I can't decide which I like better...

I think I'm leaning more towards the second one.

Also, here's another one I took:
I hope you're considering those two as additions-to, rather than replacements-for that first one you posted. Again, technically pretty nice, but they lack that irony the first one had. I think the first one is far more effective.

Compared to the first, the other two look as if someone sucked all the fun out of the fridge.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I hope you're considering those two as additions-to, rather than replacements-for that first one you posted. Again, technically pretty nice, but they lack that irony the first one had. I think the first one is far more effective.

Compared to the first, the other two look as if someone sucked all the fun out of the fridge.

Yeah I'll probably hand in the silly and the serious one (we need 6-8 total) just to see what the prof thinks. He's new to the school, so it will be good to see what he likes anyway.

PS can you suck fun out of a fridge? It's filled with pickles!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.