Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psg0

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Lets say hypothetically that Apple releases a new iPod Nano on September 9th, and I don't happen to like the new, larger, longer, "easier-to-grip" form factor. I know that Apple sells the previous generation model through the refurbished section of the Apple Store, through the Clearance Items. Here's the question:

What's the typical price break that they do for the clearance models? About 25%? Should I expect a new, clearance 8 GB Nano 3G to go for about $150 through the Apple Store?

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Lets say hypothetically that Apple releases a new iPod Nano on September 9th, and I don't happen to like the new, larger, longer, "easier-to-grip" form factor. I know that Apple sells the previous generation model through the refurbished section of the Apple Store, through the Clearance Items. Here's the question:

What's the typical price break that they do for the clearance models? About 25%? Should I expect a new, clearance 8 GB Nano 3G to go for about $150 through the Apple Store?

Refurb 8GB Nano's (in the US store) current gen fatties are currently $149/26% off. I highly suspect for the new generation, along with the design change, they'll double the capacity you get for your money, so 8/16GB rather than 4/8GB will be available. In which case an old 8GB will probably be a fair whack less than a redesigned 8GB, possibly even $100.

AFAIK they don't do "clearance", correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they just put the old stock up in the refurb store. So if you buy a refurb, you may get a brand you one or you may get a proper refurb... if you don't want that risk, all your retail stores should discount the old ones if they have stock left.

mattniles007

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
Michigan
I would guess 25 % or more if they add GB to the pricepoint. If you budget a 25% price cut then anything more than that will be like a gift.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.