PDA

View Full Version : Blogging about iPhone development/NDA

Luke Redpath
Sep 5, 2008, 06:27 AM
I was just wondering what other people's opinions here are about writing blog posts on iPhone development, specifically techniques and tutorials.

I had a problem that I mentioned in another thread[1] which with a bit of work and some pointers from others on here I was able to get working - I think the technique is generally useful and would like to write a blog post about it which would be my normal behavior with my other dev work.

The thing is though, there is a chance this violates the NDA. Should I be bothered? Does it really matter? Couldn't you argue that our discussions in this forum are equally in violation of the NDA?

Any opinions?

[1]http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=553870

robbieduncan
Sep 5, 2008, 07:03 AM
The thing is though, there is a chance this violates the NDA.

As I posted in the other thread there is a lot of crossover between the general foundation of the iPhone SDK and the standard Mac SDK. As a rule of thumb as long as you don't talk about anything starting with UI it's on OSX and is fair game to blog about

Should I be bothered? Does it really matter?

Yes. If/when Apple start chasing people on this they could sue you for a lot of money. Or just kick you and your apps out. As you've spent a lot of time and effort on them that would be quite upsetting.

Couldn't you argue that our discussions in this forum are equally in violation of the NDA?

Often, yes. And as others have pointed out we should all be considering exactly what we post...