Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevepeck

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
HULL-Yorkshire-UK
Just purchased Spore, all installed but when it comes to run it comes up with the following...
There seems to be a problem contacting your licence server. make sure your internet connection is active.

I've tried all but to no joy, no probs with internet etc..installed it on a windows machine with no probs.
Hope someyone can help little boy will kill me if this dont work on my Imac dual core.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Just purchased Spore, all installed but when it comes to run it comes up with the following...
There seems to be a problem contacting your licence server. make sure your internet connection is active.

I've tried all but to no joy, no probs with internet etc..installed it on a windows machine with no probs.
Hope someyone can help little boy will kill me if this dont work on my Imac dual core.

Since the US release date is still days away, I'd imagine some people might not be that much help (myself included) but it might be just a 'Release' issue that will resolve itself over the next few days.

Think about this, the game is very highly anticipated and the servers will be and probably are (in your area) bombarded heavily there might be issues with connecting with the licensing server.

All I can say is be patient. I'm sure after the US release, people here will be flooding the forums with "Won't connect", "This game sucks it can't connect" etc which is typical during a release mainly due to not enough hardware or what not to support the massive influx of players trying to register.

Hutchy

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2007
I have the answer.

If this works please someone try and post it on the EA forums as there are A LOT of people having this problem and it totally stops you playing the game at all.

Some people (naming no names..!) may have used a leaked version of the Spore Creature Creator. This installs a line of code in your hosts file which disables this (or all EA?) games accessing the internet. To remove this you have to edit the etc/hosts file via the terminal. Its not hard but be careful and this DOES work, I just done it.

I am not sure where the hosts file it is located but this is how I managed to remove the offending line of code:

----------------------------------

Open TERMINAL

paste: cd /private/etc; sudo nano hosts

enter admin password

-NOW BE CAREFUL!-

remove the last line of the hosts file which should mention EA and an I.P. number by using the cursor and the delete/backspace keys. (Remember, only remove this one line as i do not know how to restore if it all goes wrong! (It wont- I have faith in you!))

Save by pressing Control and 'O' (the edited file will be saved minus the EA information)

Exit by pressing Control and "W"

-----------------------------------------

Now, Play Spore!!

As i said before, if anyone is registered on the EA forums, and this works, please pass the message on as I cannot register and there must be some very sad bunnies out there.

Fancy getting your fingers burnt downloading a leaked game eh!?

IanC

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2005
Essex
Utter bull. That would mean nearly EVERY person in Europe had downloaded the leaked version.

It was a server problem, it is working now.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Utter bull. That would mean nearly EVERY person in Europe had downloaded the leaked version.

It was a server problem, it is working now.

I agree, the issue above had nothing to do with a 'leaked' version of the game.

It WAS a server issue as posted by previous poster where EA acknowledges the issue.

Besides the entry that any of the spore games install is for their DRM so that the game accesses the license server to ensure you either have a legit copy and you have not exceeded the limit. If you remove it it'll add it and still recheck and shut the game down eventually.

Reading all the threads would eliminate the need to post a method of attempting to circumvent the DRM.

Hutchy

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2007
Well, it worked for me. My Spore was failing just after inputting the serial number, before the game even runs.

gavriels

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
Besides the entry that any of the spore games install is for their DRM so that the game accesses the license server to ensure you either have a legit copy and you have not exceeded the limit. If you remove it it'll add it and still recheck and shut the game down eventually.

The game does *not* change anything in the /etc/hosts file. If you have a redirect in your /etc/hosts file, it's from a pirated version.

milton313

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
Help!!

I have the answer.

If this works please someone try and post it on the EA forums as there are A LOT of people having this problem and it totally stops you playing the game at all.

Some people (naming no names..!) may have used a leaked version of the Spore Creature Creator. This installs a line of code in your hosts file which disables this (or all EA?) games accessing the internet. To remove this you have to edit the etc/hosts file via the terminal. Its not hard but be careful and this DOES work, I just done it.

I am not sure where the hosts file it is located but this is how I managed to remove the offending line of code:

Open TERMINAL

enter admin password

-NOW BE CAREFUL!-

remove the last line of the hosts file which should mention EA and an I.P. number by using the cursor and the delete/backspace keys. (Remember, only remove this one line as i do not know how to restore if it all goes wrong! (It wont- I have faith in you!))

Save by pressing Control and 'O' (the edited file will be saved minus the EA information)

When i go to that screen there is nothing.
Picture1.png

goskone

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2007
Cant get in to Terminal Sudo

I am following step by step but I have no admin password setup for installs and updates so i simply hit enter when prompted for password. If i try to type anything it tells me password is wrong. Can anyone help I have been battling this for 10 hours. :confused:

Picture1.png

Jonh2o

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
Hutchy! You are a genius! It worked for me and I am so happy, thank you!
(and yes, I admit to downloading a leaked version of Spore Creature Creator..But guys..look, I paid for the game in the end so shaddap) xD

How did you figure out to type in "cd /private/etc; sudo nano hosts"?
Like wow...I don't know how you realized that.

To: goskone
The password is the same password you use for all your personal System Preference changes. You have no admin password? That's weird, I thought it was required.. Figure out how to make one I guess.

Now if you'll excise me..I have a universe to explore. ^_^ Thanks again Hutchy. You rock.

goskone

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2007
Wow Thanks Guys!!!!

I had to reset my password somehow I forgot it but once i did it was all good.
However for me to save the new terminal file it was option X.
It worked!!!
This game better be good.

Jonh2o

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
Is the error: "You do not have the proper spore.com privileges to use this product's online features?" something that Electronic Arts needs to solve or is it from the same thing as this topics error?

I entered in my promo code on ea.com, but it hasn't appeared in "Games owned" on my profile http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Anomic :(

Spore_Logo.png

istinkles

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
Possibly true

I have the answer.

Open TERMINAL

enter admin password

-NOW BE CAREFUL!-

Now, Play Spore!!

As i said before, if anyone is registered on the EA forums, and this works, please pass the message on as I cannot register and there must be some very sad bunnies out there.

Fancy getting your fingers burnt downloading a leaked game eh!?

First of all I'm new to mac forums, so i don't really know how to use it yet. But this might be true for legit copies. I have been having the same thing come up, and tried everything i can think of. I found this on spore.com http://easpore.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...j&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_faqid=20298 I tried to delete the text that both Hutchy and this link says, but I can't delete the actual text in terminal. Can someone help? :(

Jonh2o

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
Hmmm, did Milton ever figure out why his was blank?
I've looked in various other threads when I had this problem a 2nd time (long story, not important) and there's often a slight variation on the "cd/etc" thing that people have posted..I recall one of them giving me a blank screen.

(and crap I began writing this and something important came up so I don't have time to search for it...but..well...good luck, rofl. :mad: :confused: )

DelPieroGusta

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2008
help would be really appreciated

I have tried that

- cd / private / etc
- sudo nano hosts
- admin password
(etc etc)

loads of times..(there are variations on that cd / private / etc on the internet ...i have tried atleast 3 different possibilities..and non of them work..I get that blank screen..pleaaaaase help..! :D

It would be nice of someone would help..finally I buy a game..and then it doesn't work..*sigh*

Hutchy

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2007
Just a quick reply....

Silly things but,

Are you in an Admin account?

Did you Copy and Paste what is written? It could be a case of a space in the wrong place or something.

Hope you get to fix soon mate.

Hutchy

noelk

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
NO joy

I´ve done the same as DelPieroGusta same problem im not in an admin account and i´ve pasted it. please HEEELLLPPPPP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.