PDA

View Full Version : Leaked Photo of 4th Generation iPod Nano in Packaging?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Sep 5, 2008, 10:36 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/09/05/233313-ipod_nano_4g_spy1_400.jpg

Engadget posts (http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/05/ipod-nano-4g-leaked-in-actual-factual-really-real-spy-photo/#comments) what is claimed to be an actual photo of one of the new "tall" iPod Nanos. Rumors have been persistent that the iPod Nano would see a return to the "tall" form factor next week. The larger screen will reportedly allow for better viewing of video content.

The image also appears to be the same source image of an obscured photo published by MacNN (http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/09/05/ipod.nano.4g.photo/) earlier this evening. They felt confident that this was a "verified authentic photo" of the new iPod Nano. As well, they reported that the other Nano colors would be "more vibrant" than the current pale hues of the 3rd generation iPod Nano.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/05/leaked-photo-of-4th-generation-ipod-nano-in-packaging/)

Eidorian
Sep 5, 2008, 10:37 PM
Stop tempting me Apple. I'll need to see the feature set first though!

In before VisualHub (or Handbrake) update.

iTeen
Sep 5, 2008, 10:38 PM
I like it.

Lots!

acvball92
Sep 5, 2008, 10:38 PM
doesn't look to bad actually
i like orange:D

Brennn
Sep 5, 2008, 10:39 PM
I like it.

smt1192
Wouldn't be my choice of color, besides that looks good.

GeekLawyer
Nice. Very nice.

If only I didn't have this lovely iPhone which already fits the purpose, plus some.

Who am I kidding? I'm buying one. ;)

SLCentral
Sep 5, 2008, 10:40 PM
And it's a wrap. Looks like Kevin Rose, and all the other rumors were right.

Looks a lot better (at least from this angle) then I thought it would.

EricNau
I like it as well. Also, although it's hard to tell from the photo, this appears to "confirm" the curved shape, no?

I like the idea of a curved form-factor, although I'm curious to see how it will affect screen glare.

Also, I'm glad the colors seem to be more vibrant; the current pastel colors just never did it for me.

Aldyn
ORANGEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes The Bright Colors ARE Back.

Aranince
Sep 5, 2008, 10:41 PM
Ooo...I like the orange! I wonder how the blue will look.

TheBobcat
Yawn.

Apple's hardware design has been played and boring for a couple years now.

iRebecca27
I'm so glad the bright colors are back!

but im not too sure about the design =/

arn
Sep 5, 2008, 10:42 PM
so where did all the people that hated the design go? :)

arn

TheMacBookPro
Sep 5, 2008, 10:43 PM
Darn it! And to think that I just got a 32GB iPod touch and a 4GB 3G nano and then this appears... Me likey.

arn

True that, arn!

Chandler Adaway
Sep 5, 2008, 10:43 PM
I like that color.
Hope the rest are just as vibrant.

Even though I usually buy black iPod's. Ha.

so where did all the people that hated the design go?

arn

There are always haters at first, but most, if not all come around and end up loving it.

I think Apple's products are so new and uniquely designed that there is a shock factor at first.

noodle654
Sep 5, 2008, 10:44 PM
It does look nice...better than the fat ch**e currently...

zap2
Eh, I'm not feeling it as much as before, but we'll see when we get price and GBs

Its not bad, but the whole click wheel feels dated. I'm looking for a new type of Nano, but I guess not quite yet.

new shuffle please!

iToaster
Ehhh, I dunno, it looks pretty similar to the second gen, but I have to say that the curve seems like a pretty bad idea to me.

cleanup
If they come in 16GB I might just pick one of these up. Otherwise no deal!

ivladster
Sep 5, 2008, 10:45 PM
Well Apple is moving away from iPods. Its pretty clear. Next generations want iPod, Phone, Game Console, TV, Internet and 1000 other things in ONE. =)
Apple need to make a truly groundbreaking device called: :apple:One

Eidorian

arnI'm glad they're gone.

Bring on the hardware specifications. Hopefully they're a lot better!

r.j.s
new shuffle please!

What more could you want from the shuffle?

Aranince
Sep 5, 2008, 10:46 PM
I'm curious as to what the new UI will look like, due to the new screen aspect.

localoid
Sep 5, 2008, 10:46 PM
Orange you glad it's orange? I mean, come on man...

Small White Car
Sep 5, 2008, 10:47 PM

arn

And the Lord said:

Macrumors posters shalt hateth thine blueprints. They shalt hateth thine technical specs. When given an accurate description they shalt hateth until their eyes shalt bleed.

But then, on the 7th day, when the Angel Jobs presents them with the actual product, they will break down, weep, and repent.

And so it shall be until the end of time.

EDIT: PS - LOVE the color! I don't need one (I have an iPhone) but man, that color makes me want one!

colinc
Sep 5, 2008, 10:48 PM
So is this the "color changing" or color shifting iPods we were hearing about before?

Woz Beard
Sep 5, 2008, 10:49 PM
I'm digging the color! Here's hoping it comes in 16gb/32gb flavors.

highjumppudding
Sep 5, 2008, 10:50 PM
suuuhh---- weet!!!!

ill buy one of those, just because of the color. the contour shape also looks great.

mjstew33
Sep 5, 2008, 10:50 PM
I can hear Apple legal now. :p

colourclassic
Sep 5, 2008, 10:53 PM

My thoughts too, what is going to happen to all the current nano games?

Pigumon
Sep 5, 2008, 10:54 PM
My design company has used the white on orange colors for its identity for about 6 years now. Thank you very much!

But really.. it's the color of the Autobot's Ark, how can you not love it??

nyamanku
Sep 5, 2008, 10:54 PM
I don't like this as much, but it's not awful.
I'm going to miss the cute little "fat" one, though. :(

Edit: But I love the color!

colourclassic
Sep 5, 2008, 10:55 PM
I'm digging the color! Here's hoping it comes in 16gb/32gb flavors.

Pretty bloody unlikely.

Aznsensation45
Sep 5, 2008, 10:56 PM
Damnnnnn!!! that is one SEXAY orange.... i like it.:D

stagi
looks good to me :)

pooryou
I have something better than a Nano, an iPhone.

What I'm really interested are new high capacity iPods.

Prof.
Sep 5, 2008, 10:57 PM
*Waits for Apple legal to remove pic*

fs454
Sep 5, 2008, 10:57 PM
I don't believe it.

Apple has stated OVER AND OVER that they want to abandon the design that requires plastic "stoppers" on the top and the bottom and go full-metal like they've been doing all about the line.

Then they went away from that design. Now they're back? Doesn't make sense to me. That whole form factor does not make sense to me at all. A nano is supposed to be tiny.

As crazy as I may seem because of all the glaring evidence, I really don't believe it. It really doesn't make sense as to what Apple said they were aiming for.

Also, Apple legal has never touched any of these pictures or asked for them to be removed.

ltldrummerboy
Sep 5, 2008, 10:58 PM
I think everyone will love them once they're out. I hope they go up to 16GB. Bright colors are a plus as well.

Pugpuppydude
Sep 5, 2008, 10:59 PM
I think the new nano looks sickalicioussssss!!!!! Looks a lot better than I thought it would. Apple never lets us down. :p

IgnatiusTheKing
Sep 5, 2008, 11:00 PM

arn

I don't like the design, but it doesn't look as ugly in this picture as the previously posted one did (I don't know why...maybe the angle).

Also, what's with the plastic box? Is that supposed to be authentic too? That would be different in a very un-Apple way, would it not?

sonictonic
Sep 5, 2008, 11:02 PM
Not usually a fan of that color, in an iPod anyway, but that looks fricken gorgeous and it makes me want one :p

puckhead193
Sep 5, 2008, 11:02 PM
looks better in that photo then in the previous photo. Time will tell what happens

aljawad
Sep 5, 2008, 11:03 PM
I'm sooo geting several Nanos as gifts for the Holidays :D

itwasntme
Sep 5, 2008, 11:04 PM
Looks good... but I don't see the point of having such a large range of iPods now? I think its time the consolidated the range and prices.

arn
Sep 5, 2008, 11:04 PM
I don't like the design, but it doesn't look as ugly in this picture as the previously posted one did (I don't know why...maybe the angle).

Also, what's with the plastic box? Is that supposed to be authentic too? That would be different in a very un-Apple way, would it not?

http://i27.tinypic.com/317ihjr.jpg

would it?

arn

monke
Sep 5, 2008, 11:07 PM
I had a feeling Apple would come back to the thinner design, rather than that fat kind.

I remember, way back, when Apple first introduced the Nano. The 'big news' was that it could fit in that really small pocket that most pairs of jeans have. Apple changed to the fat design, and unless your small pockets instantly grew, they didn't fit. It just made sense for them to come back to the thinner design.

I've liked it since the beginning. It's nice, orange wouldn't be my colour of choice, but it's definitely got me thinking about another Nano. :o

lauph
Sep 5, 2008, 11:07 PM
So the dock connector cannot be of a symmetric shape, since its off to the side and the ipod is curved...

Jesstastic
Sep 5, 2008, 11:08 PM

would it?

arn

ahaha.

but i like it, they almost always look questionable when we see some sort of "mockup" of it, but when you see them in person they most of the time always look 10x better. i'm not crazy about the color though but i'm sure there's more than just orange.

now for my HD 80GB or more iPod touch? :p

Prof.
I'm sitting here holding the 2nd Gen iPod nano and a 3rd Gen nano and even tho the taller one is easier to hold (I have big hands) I really like the short one more. I really like the all-metal design. I wasn't a fan of the plastic caps.

punkybadhip
I like cheese

Chandler Adaway
Sep 5, 2008, 11:09 PM
I was just about to post a picture like that.

Yeah, Apple loves displaying the products in a case like that.
The shuffle and Nano had platic casings.

I guess the boxes are for the "higher end" models, though I like the plastic. Not very fun to keep on a shelf though.

lamina
Well, there you have it folks.

I'll have to see it in real life before I compare it to the current chubby nano. I like the current one though.

Can't wait till the 9th.

arn
So the dock connector cannot be of a symmetric shape, since its off to the side and the ipod is curved...

they just give you a new adapter

arn

ipodtoucher
Sep 5, 2008, 11:11 PM

I feel they will keep the same UI, just longer...maybe an accelerometer? that'd be neat

I like it, but I don't... i like the screen, but i still like the little fat nano. and i super hate the screen, too much glare...

qwanza
Sep 5, 2008, 11:11 PM
I liked the 3rd Gen the best...

lucasmonger
Sep 5, 2008, 11:13 PM

arn

I'm still here (maybe the only one). I think the only reason I hate it is that it looks too much like the little Zune, plus I was hoping for a nano-sized Touch, maybe without multitouch, but just a simple touch interface.

So my only hope is that Apple purposely leaked these to throw us all off and the real new nano is breathtaking. The evidence seems overwhelmingly against me, but I can still dream until Sept 9th.

Here's my speculation on the nano

http://web.mac.com/doublel/Pure_Speculation/Speculations/Entries/2008/8/13_iPod_nano.html

iRebecca27
Sep 5, 2008, 11:13 PM
arn, you are making me bust up laughing =] ily

way to school those who do not respect the past of apple!

acfusion29
Sep 5, 2008, 11:15 PM
I THINK that Apple one day (or maybe it's this time), will be in on all of this, and provide everyone with false information (and pictures), then release a totally cool and different product at the actual event.

chewbaccacabra
Sep 5, 2008, 11:15 PM
Dammit! couldn't you have waited to post this! It's going to siphon off all the hatred from the Seinfeld commerical thread!

lauph
Sep 5, 2008, 11:16 PM
they just give you a new adapter

arn

It should flush with the body of the nano, like the nano2g... Its side flushes with the connector straight down.

carve
Sep 5, 2008, 11:19 PM
I'll be buying one.

queshy
Sep 5, 2008, 11:20 PM
wow, talk about ruining the surprise.......thanks KR!!!!

Looks just like the the 2nd gen nano only curvier. Not bad.

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 5, 2008, 11:22 PM
And I just got a (RED) nano today fresh from the China factory.

I actually like the 3rd gen nano better than the squeezed/stretched nano mockups I've seen so far.

serpico
Sep 5, 2008, 11:23 PM
So now we get an Apple Zune?! Oh joy. I'll stick with my current nano that is perfectly small & does it all. I can't believe Apple went back to the old style but a larger screen. :confused:

Superdrive
Sep 5, 2008, 11:28 PM
I'm just happy to see the TANGERINE return to service. Let's bring it to the MacBooks!

lucasmonger
Sep 5, 2008, 11:29 PM
What more could you want from the shuffle?

This...

http://web.me.com/doublel/Pure_Speculation/Speculations/Entries/2008/8/29_iPod_Shuffle_Update.html

littlebooradley
Sep 5, 2008, 11:30 PM
I assume when you play movies or tv shows you would turn the unit sideways to watch the movie. I wonder if it will have an accelerometer so that you have the dial on the left or the right for leftys or rightys.

MacTheSpoon
Sep 5, 2008, 11:33 PM
Hmm, I thought Apple usually used paper packaging for its products. Thumbs down for the packaging, thumbs up for the design and bright colors.

maxrobertson
Sep 5, 2008, 11:37 PM
I can't believe it... it looks great. The color is actually not vomit-inducing and the curves are perfect.

carve
Sep 5, 2008, 11:37 PM
Hmm, I thought Apple usually used paper packaging for its products. Thumbs down for the packaging, thumbs up for the design and bright colors.

Uhh...Apple has been using plastic for its iPod packaging for several generations I believe...

lucasmonger
Sep 5, 2008, 11:38 PM
I'm just happy to see the TANGERINE return to service. Let's bring it to the MacBooks!

I'd love to see all the classic 70's Mopar colors like Plum Crazy, Panther Pink, Dark Burnt Orange Metallic, Bahama Yellow, Sub Lime.

Check out all the color names at

http://www.mymopar.com/paintcodes.htm

and pics at

http://www.stockmopar.com/dodge-challenger-pictures.html

Imagine iPods with wild colors like this.

IgnatiusTheKing
Sep 5, 2008, 11:39 PM

would it?

arn

You got me. I've never bought a nano and just assumed Apple was actually going through on their promise of being "green" like Big Gay Al demands. I guess what they say about assumption is true...

Wee Beastie
Sep 5, 2008, 11:41 PM
I am having some mixed feelings about this. I have a 2nd gen nano and I love the form factor. (Funny, I didn't "get" the nano at first, thinking that such a small HD would be useless. Then I got one for free with via a bts promotion and my 30 gb iPod is collecting dust! But I digress...) Personally I think that the stretched version is more comfortable to hold, but I like the UI of the 3rd gen nano. This could be the perfect amalgam of those two iPods. The curved face is what I can't make up my mind about. It is probably fine though. I wouldn't really use the video function anyway, but I definitely could use some more UI eye candy. Won't be experiencing it unless something happens to my current nano though.

squintymcsquint
Sep 5, 2008, 11:41 PM
With this new ipod seemingly quite larger than the current nano, how about the possibility this is actually the return of the iPod Mini? And the existing nano may stay on in some kind of facelifted form?

IgnatiusTheKing
Sep 5, 2008, 11:44 PM
I feel they will keep the same UI, just longer...maybe an accelerometer? that'd be neat

I like it, but I don't... i like the screen, but i still like the little fat nano. and i super hate the screen, too much glare...

That "Click this if you love McCain" link is hilarious! Thank god we have Keith Obermann and Bill Maher to tell us how to vote! Whew.

MacBook08
Sep 5, 2008, 11:45 PM
I wonder, am I the only one here that thinks the new nano looks a lot like a souped up iPod Mini or Nano 2G. I mean if you skipped 1G and 3G and went from the Mini to this Nano 4G, the other nanos don't look like they belong, making the 4G seem like less than a real redesign. Well, if it's got a lot of gigs (which I'm sure it does) then I guess it'll be worth it:D

P.S. It appears that squintymcsquint pointed this out also.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/IPod_Mini_with_headphones.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b2/Nano_omores.jpg/369px-Nano_omores.jpg
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/09/05/233313-ipod_nano_4g_spy1_400.jpg

jukebox
Sep 5, 2008, 11:45 PM

What? Every Nano since the second gen has had this packaging.

ge3kd
Sep 5, 2008, 11:48 PM
I like it...

PhaserFuzz
Sep 5, 2008, 11:54 PM
I don't understand why everyone cares about this new Nano? After the release of the Touch, this seems like a step backward. It's hard for me to get excited about it.

timestoby
Sep 5, 2008, 11:55 PM
all i can say is REHASH. this looks like some second gen nano that is longer.who wants that lol. id rather have a current gen.who wants a longer than long ipod nano. plus,will it break when its in ur pocket and you sit down lol. i guess the new ipod nanos will be mini iphone touches,whenever that maybe

bassproguy07
Sep 5, 2008, 11:56 PM
looks good, still wouldn't buy one my 30 gb works fine for me

NintendoChick
Sep 5, 2008, 11:59 PM
I'm loving the orange! Yay vibrancy!

c00lerness
Sep 6, 2008, 12:03 AM
Time for a new ipod!

This picture is the best one i've seen so far. If this is the actual 4G iPod nano. It's great. If not, I know apple will release something great on tuesday.

Maybe with this long thin shape, they could bring back the lanyard earphones. The current nanos don't have lanyard earphones due to the hold switch on the bottom. The only thing I don't like is when you put the ipod in the dock, it's not centered due to the dock connector being on the left.

Hopefully there won't be any defects (1st Gen Nano Scratches, 3rd Gen Nano tilted screens...). I'm just worried about them plastic caps again. Maybe the top is all metal and the bottom is the only place with a plastic cap.

jukebox
Sep 6, 2008, 12:03 AM
I don't understand why everyone cares about this new Nano? After the release of the Touch, this seems like a step backward. It's hard for me to get excited about it.

Because some people still want a small, compact MP3 player for working out with, etc. In that regard, the Nano has no equal. The shuffle isn't nearly as popular.

scotty56
Sep 6, 2008, 12:05 AM
ok ok ok...its real :rolleyes:

macduke
Sep 6, 2008, 12:11 AM
It will have wifi.

queshy
Sep 6, 2008, 12:12 AM
What I want to know is who takes these shots? Obviously someone who doesn't care about their job...

Now there's absolutely no surprise if that's all there is to the new nano.

Apple can still surprise us with the price/capacities though, and I hope they do so.

chrono1081
Sep 6, 2008, 12:20 AM
This looks nice, but I really like the current nanos. This does seem like a rehash : /

I am waiting till Sept 9th (or whenever they release these) and if they look like this I'm gonna run and order a current gen nano on newegg. I love the small size.

Nieval
Sep 6, 2008, 12:21 AM
Looking at the picture i can't help but wonder why Apple didn't add the new curve factor to the 3G Nano instead, IMHO i think it would be much more interesting. Maybe add a little more length to the dimensions, not too much - i mean, in all honesty, watching anything on the Nano will always feel like a compromise.

i.e.Mac
Sep 6, 2008, 12:24 AM
I have many fold memories of my Tangerine iMac. While orange as a color isn't my favorite, it's nice to see Apple isn't doing the...well i call them "easter" colors. namely the Blue and Green. the Red Black and Silver (and pink for the ladies) are fine enough but i hated those two colors. I want real blue and green again, and this orange is a step in the right direction.

And I am loving the new look.

And seeing it in packaging (if this is real) means that it could possibly be in stores or at least shipping by the time it's announced, which is a very very good thing. Strange we haven't seen more of the new touch, but oh well.

IgnatiusTheKing
Sep 6, 2008, 12:25 AM
It will have wifi.

What for? Will it have Safari or email?

fake1009
Sep 6, 2008, 12:25 AM
i love the orange aluminum!

no I am not female.

Toru-kun
Sep 6, 2008, 12:32 AM
I also think that if this image is not a fake, Apple is running out of imagination, because it looks too alike to the previous generations! The 3G look better and more innovative from my personal point of view. It`s like a step backwards!:confused:

jukebox
Sep 6, 2008, 12:36 AM
This looks nice, but I really like the current nanos. This does seem like a rehash : /

I am waiting till Sept 9th (or whenever they release these) and if they look like this I'm gonna run and order a current gen nano on newegg. I love the small size.

I don't see how anyone can call these a rehash and think that the last gen/wide ones weren't? They went back to the mirror/scratch-magnet chrome backing of the 1st gen nano.

Beric
Sep 6, 2008, 12:37 AM
I also think that if this image is not a fake, Apple is running out of imagination, because it looks too alike to the previous generations! The 3G look better and more innovative from my personal point of view. It`s like a step backwards!:confused:

I actually can agree with this one.

Regardless, I'm getting a Touch this update, and don't really care what happens to the Nano.

macshill
Sep 6, 2008, 12:43 AM

arn

EXACTLY! :rolleyes:

then: "It's a fake and it's ugly!"
now: "OMG, it's real and it's spectacular!"

Will you fanboys ever be true?

jaw04005
Sep 6, 2008, 12:45 AM
Once again, Apple has reinvented the ... Zune 4G?!?

But I like it — especially compared to the current iPod nano. Although every tech journalist in existence is going to hound on the fact that it looks just like the Zune 4G, over and over again.

macshill
Sep 6, 2008, 12:45 AM
And the Lord said:

Macrumors posters shalt hateth thine blueprints. They shalt hateth thine technical specs. When given an accurate description they shalt hateth until their eyes shalt bleed.

But then, on the 7th day, when the Angel Jobs presents them with the actual product, they will break down, weep, and repent.

And so it shall be until the end of time.

EDIT: PS - LOVE the color! I don't need one (I have an iPhone) but man, that color makes me want one!

Amen, Brother Small White Car!

But the colour has me thinking it will score well w/ the prison inmates crowd when they're on the highway workin' on the chain gang. Matches their jumpsuits.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uhbkzt.jpg

iAlan
Sep 6, 2008, 12:48 AM
Still not sure I like it. This picture makes it look better than all the other pictures out there. But still not sure. The colour is great though

Regarding movies on the new screen, I don't like the idea of having to hold the thing sideways. That wouldn't be too practical as it would stick out the side of your hand - the current iPod and iPod nano for factors are easy to hold. Sure the iPhone sticks out sideways, but i think the use of the iPod on a train or bus while standing is easy, not sure about the new sideways design.

Also, how much bigger would the screen be verses the current iPod nano? Just turn the current screen sideways and add a little on the end? If it is not noticeable bigger then what is the point? Maybe redesign allows for a new features set?

I really don't know. Looking forward to the 9th. If this is the real deal i am sure it is better 'up close and personnel'. Or Apple will have something way better to wow us all.

Anyway, I have an iPhone 3G (waited a year for the thing to get to Japan), all of the nano line (just can't get rid of the things - just want to keep them I like the all so much) 3 iPods (including one of the first 2000 units of the first generation iPod to be made available in Japan - it was around a month before more came so I was sooo lucky, although quite a few of my friends at the time though it was a waste of money and completely useless! And it still works!), a blue iPod mini and 2 shuffles.

But I will probably buy the new iPod nano none-the-less. Damn you Apple :p

i0Nic
Sep 6, 2008, 12:48 AM
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5089/nano22st3.jpg

nicdel
Sep 6, 2008, 12:51 AM
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5089/nano22st3.jpg

looks really good. Why has Kevin Rose not been credited with this? :D

cleanup
Sep 6, 2008, 12:51 AM
I just hope this nano has a brand new menu UI. I'm beginning to get real tired of Aqua/Myriad Pro lists and crap. I think a black background UI like the touch would be nice. I like Samsung and even the Zune's UI better now.

madmaxmedia
Sep 6, 2008, 12:56 AM
I wish we would get some iPod Touch news in here too...

strikeinsilence
Sep 6, 2008, 12:58 AM
I'll just say that it's much better looking than I thought it would, the high build quality is evident from the photos. Still can't help thinking that it looks like a bloated 2G nano.

Beric
Sep 6, 2008, 12:59 AM
http://i36.tinypic.com/2uhbkzt.jpg

Wow. Absolutely incredible picture. I love it :D

sam10685
Sep 6, 2008, 01:00 AM

arn

HAH! I was thinking the same thing... everyone seemed to hate the long, curved speculation photo's and now everyone loves it. I never hated it... I think it looks awesome!

Beric
Sep 6, 2008, 01:02 AM
HAH! I was thinking the same thing... everyone seemed to hate the long, curved speculation photo's and now everyone loves it. I never hated it... I think it looks awesome!

I've never known people to hate the design. I've got a 2G Nano myself. And when my grandma's 2G Nano was broken accidentally, and she wanted a new one, she said she liked the 2G version better than the fat one she has now, even though it does play video.

vandlism
Sep 6, 2008, 01:02 AM
with talk of no iTunes 8 or subscription service coming Tuesday, i am beginning to wonder what else if anything we have to look forward to

iAlan
Sep 6, 2008, 01:05 AM
looks really good. Why has Kevin Rose not been credited with this? :D

Way too curved. Look at the screen, no way you could watch movies on that as moving light sourses would reflect all over.

As everyone else has been playing around I guess it is my turn. I took a picture of a Product (red) iPod nano, rotated the screen and placed on top of the scroll wheel.

And here it is the new iPod nano (without the curvy bits)

"All done in the best possible taste"

timerollson
Sep 6, 2008, 01:08 AM
Maybe, I'd be more excited if this was a new shape or something. This looks like a step back towards the long Nanos. Not really enticing, to be honest.

Not bad. Not good. Just blah.

macshill
Sep 6, 2008, 01:10 AM
Wow. Absolutely incredible picture. I love it :D

lol thanx. i added the caption on the bottom. :)

and on the original picture to this story, apparently somebody loves j.r. ...whoever j.r. is.

jukebox
Sep 6, 2008, 01:12 AM
Yes... the UI does need a re-design. The Zune is absolutely killing us there. This half-menu/half-cover art thing is just awful.

MindBrain
Sep 6, 2008, 01:22 AM
Who cares where's the new computers

scottylans
Sep 6, 2008, 01:22 AM
It looks better than the silver rounded one that Kevin R posted but I still don't like how round this model looks - the screen should be flat goddamnit, what the hell are they thinking?

Also, orange is fine for 'colourful' people but they best still have black for those of us who prefer simpler colours.

Also, needs 16gb or I'm sticking with my fatty, which I'm very happy with (and no, it's not ugly, once you use one, it's awesome)

mixmacface
Sep 6, 2008, 01:23 AM
meh.
the only way i'd snag a new ipod, is if they updated the ipod touch to have a camera. . other than that, i'm not going to buy. not that anyone read this, or actually gives a crap.

kjs862
Sep 6, 2008, 01:25 AM
didn't everyone hate this design like a few days ago... lmao

edit - that thing is big enough to be a cell phone, and it only plays music/video ... boo

sam10685
Sep 6, 2008, 01:33 AM
I've never known people to hate the design. I've got a 2G Nano myself. And when my grandma's 2G Nano was broken accidentally, and she wanted a new one, she said she liked the 2G version better than the fat one she has now, even though it does play video.

People hated the curved design. Not the tall design.

thebassoonist
Ooh, rust color.

richard.mac
Steve Jobs on Tuesday morning

"Here's the new iPod Nano. You may have seen pictures of it leaked on the web".

[Audience laughs and murmurs]

:D

carve
Sep 6, 2008, 01:38 AM
Here is my guess on pricing. $150 for 8 gigs $200 for 16 gigs OR $100 for 4 gigs, $150 for 8 gigs, $200 for 16 gigs.

Marcusjlang
Sep 6, 2008, 01:39 AM
I recently sold my 80GB Classic for 200. This doesn't impress me very much though. Here's what I'm expecting though...

Nano
8GB $150
16GB $250

Classic
120GB $250
250GB $350

Touch (GPS, Speaker)
16GB $250
32GB $350

It's not even much to ask for. If this doesn't happen, mainly the touch, I'll end up getting an Archos, or a Zune. I mean, is it that hard to get a video player with a big screen.

born2win413
Sep 6, 2008, 01:48 AM
ughh, i'll stick to my iPod..

Apple had better have other news..

Buschmaster
Sep 6, 2008, 01:49 AM
Does it come in "poop colored brown" and if so I want one?!

jukebox
Sep 6, 2008, 01:50 AM
People hated the curved design. Not the tall design.

... On the 2G? The sides were curved. The screen was totally flat.

Spanna
Sep 6, 2008, 01:52 AM
With the mini/nano Apple seem to keep switching the design between, curved aluminum to chrome back.
mini - curved aluminum
1g nano - chrome back
2g nano - curved aluminum
3g nano - chrome back
4g nano - curved aluminum ?

PS why won't this forum let me spell aluminum properly?

khunsanook
Sep 6, 2008, 01:53 AM
Nano
8GB $150
16GB $250

Considering that 16GB flash cards are now 40 bucks, I really think $200 should be the limit. I'd like to see Apple start to match their prices with component price reductions...but I suppose Apple doesn't really care what I think. :rolleyes:

neil51
Sep 6, 2008, 01:56 AM
Would be nice to do widescreen video on it. I'm hoping for a 16gb nano, the remote control rumour sounds good too and transfer songs wirelessly. Wonder if they'll be any Apple TV updates? Would love to see that USB port opened up for external drives 'offically' rather than it being hacked.

ellsworth
Sep 6, 2008, 01:57 AM
Why can't anyone take a nice focused High Quality picture of these things when they see em. Obviously they are some where which holds a ton of technology and most cellphones have 1-2 mega pixel cameras... I just don't get it.:confused:

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 01:58 AM
I was hoping to see the Nano Touch. What about you guys?

iCantwait
Sep 6, 2008, 02:10 AM
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=LkuRjz7dICw

i made a vid of many stills:D:D:D:D apple lawsuit here i come!!

Veri
Sep 6, 2008, 02:14 AM
I'm usually awful at visualisation, but that's pretty much how I expected it from drawings :/. Anyway, size comparison of 2g/3g/4g from various angles (http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/16745-iPod-Nano-3g-vs-iPod-nano-2G-vs-iPod-nano-4G).

Easier to fit in an empty jeans pocket, harder to fit in a half full one. Perhaps easier to hold while vertical, but more awkward while horizontal. That much is testable with 5 minutes cutting up wood. As for curviness (http://the-gadgeteer.com//assets/apple-ipod-nano-6.jpg), 3g seems like 1g; 4g seems like exaggerated 2g. I prefer the 1g/3g style; I was thinking these give a better grip but given that hands and fingers mould around the edges I might have to limit it to an aesthetic preference.

Why can't anyone take a nice focused High Quality picture of these things when they see em.
Thoughts:

1. If you're taking a sneaky pic, you try to be as quick and subtle as possible.

2. Apply a filter to reduce chances of identifying marks. Not just against serial numbers/unique unit blemishes but perhaps against any watermarks the camera puts on the picture directly (aside from easily removable EXIF). I'm guessing that if printer manufacturers do the sneaky thing with the yellow ink so you can trace a printout back to a printer, so might camera builders?

A basic encoding of a 10-digit decimal serial number, say, would require colouring only ceil(34/8)=5 bits. Better algorithms adjusting more of the picture could be made resistant to common filters (and JPEG fuzzing!).

One low tech approach to deniability would be to get a friend to take a photo of the photo.

3. Add to the mystery.

BobbyCat
Sep 6, 2008, 02:15 AM
My iPod 3G Classic is getting really tired, and I can't afford a new one. All I want is a cheaper Nano, like 8 or 16 gigs for 100 bucks or euros (even refurbished will suit me). Another question: does Apple sell old stock models cheaper immediately after the new releases? Do you guys remember from earlier updates?

na1577
Sep 6, 2008, 02:16 AM
I think only the backside should have been curved, like the iPhone 3G. Being completely round is just stupid, in my opinion. However, anything is better than the hideous square nano.

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 02:16 AM
Nano Touch.

Who feels me?

queshy
Sep 6, 2008, 02:19 AM
Nano Touch.

Who feels me?

A nice surprise would be the nano having a touch screen in addition to the click wheel, but I don't know if I can see that happening so soon.

queshy
Sep 6, 2008, 02:21 AM
Alright people, this is official now! (*veterans will note that I usually do this every time...haha)

scottylans
Sep 6, 2008, 02:21 AM
PS why won't this forum let me spell aluminum properly?

Likely an American server :/

jukebox
Sep 6, 2008, 02:22 AM
A nice surprise would be the nano having a touch screen in addition to the click wheel, but I don't know if I can see that happening so soon.

Why would you need both means of input? :confused:

scottylans
Nano Touch.

Who feels me?

Totally with you, been chanting it for months - looks like it's next Sept's refresh - not this one :/

fredsarran
Not really convinced. I expected better from Apple.

Yixian
Sep 6, 2008, 02:23 AM
Damn... is there anything left to announce anymore?..

kiang
Sep 6, 2008, 02:24 AM
Cna't help i: I still hate the new design :(

Mainly because I see it as a step backwards, since it's bigger then the fatty. In this way, this iPod nano has a lower 'nano-factor' then the current one :(

But anyhow I don't really care, since I'm only in the market for the updated iPod touch :D (I hope the 32GB one gets cheaper!!!)

kiang
Sep 6, 2008, 02:25 AM
Alright people, this is official now! (*veterans will note that I usually do this every time...haha)

That one is freaking funny :D:D:D

na1577
Sep 6, 2008, 02:26 AM
Why would you need both means of input? :confused:

The best of both worlds. One of the most common complaints about the iPod touch is that you cannot control your music while the device is in your pocket.

Also, doesn't one of the Palm phones have a keyboard and touch screen?

deannnnn
Sep 6, 2008, 02:27 AM
It usually takes me a while to get on board with a new design from Apple, but THIS I like.

aafuss1
Sep 6, 2008, 02:29 AM
It's show in the plastic packaging which reminds me of the 2nd gen version box-only taller this time around.

mogzieee
Sep 6, 2008, 02:30 AM
haha - all you folks who hated the design can suck on it cos you have to live with it now! hahahaha

I love that. I'm gunna get one. In orange. Nice...

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 02:39 AM
If they don't offer it, make it. Introducing Nano Touch :)

Cool, right??

PhotoPhoenix
Sep 6, 2008, 02:46 AM
If they come in 16GB I might just pick one of these up. Otherwise no deal!

yeah seriously. if they have a nice upgrade in space then i'm definitely going to cop one.

also, has no one not noticed the black screen? maybe the rumors of the new iPods using Mac osx is correct?

CaryMacGuy
Sep 6, 2008, 02:47 AM
This seems pretty authentic...if not then someone really has a lot of extra time on their hands.

Of course, Apple Legal should be shutting it down if it is the real deal (but maybe they won't because it would just confirm it).

If this is not the real deal, then Steve Jobs is probably laughing his ass off right now. Only 4 short days until we know for sure.

phalewhale
Sep 6, 2008, 02:48 AM
Aluminium

What's so hard about that?

yorkshire
Sep 6, 2008, 02:49 AM
Looks great, much better than that previous nano photo we had from alibaba. The click wheell seems to be level with the case which makes it look great!

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 02:49 AM
If they don't offer it, make it. Introducing Nano Touch :)

One of these 2. What do y'all think???

kitch95
Sep 6, 2008, 02:52 AM
I like it now, this is the only photo that it has looked good in (the nano) iI would buy one:D

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 02:53 AM
I like it now, this is the only photo that it has looked good in (the nano) iI would buy one:D

Seriously though. Isn't that what it should look like? One of those 2 images?

PhotoPhoenix
Sep 6, 2008, 02:56 AM
You got me. I've never bought a nano and just assumed Apple was actually going through on their promise of being "green" like Big Gay Al demands. I guess what they say about assumption is true...

ugh. keep your wack comments to yourself. someone that's helping earth should not be considered gay. as if being gay is the most horrible thing in the world. texans...

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 02:59 AM
I WANT EVERYBODY'S RESPONSE ON THESE!!!!

This is what I was hoping for. iPod Nano Touch. What about you??

Philberttheduck
Sep 6, 2008, 03:00 AM
am i the only one that thinks that the photo could've easily been 'shopped? i mean, it doesn't look any different from the 2G nano, shipped in the same box. how difficult is it really to shop this? im a fan of the longer body, but i don't think they're going to use the same click wheel orientation, because i don't know why apple would settle for fast-forwarding/reversing with a disoriented clickwheel. their design team has too much pride to allow even this minor detail to pass with them. im still thinking they make the clickwheel keys like the new rockr but instead,the play/fastforward/reverse/menu words and function goes with the orientationo of the screen (landscape during videos, portrait for standby, music)

im calling this a fake.

puercaeli
Sep 6, 2008, 03:02 AM
I think they changed the design so Steve can fit nano and touch in one pocket(nano in coin pocket) and classic or sth else on the other during key notes.:D

http://media.arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.media/ipod_in_pocket.jpg

champ01
Sep 6, 2008, 03:02 AM
ok so apple is taking a step back

the old nano was way better looking the only way apple could have improve was by presenting a nano touch but they didn't :(

lets hope they don't make these mistakes in the rest of the apple product line

and people that say 'all lies' have never used a touchscreen before!

puercaeli
Sep 6, 2008, 03:09 AM
I WANT EVERYBODY'S RESPONSE ON THESE!!!!

This is what I was hoping for. iPod Nano Touch. What about you??

I actually thought about this, but I think Apple Mac OS X Touch interface will be awkward and time consuming to control using click wheel.

But who knows, with return of vertical design UI change is inevitable so we might see some changes(so it is compatible App Store applications to some extent). We may see wifi(zune style) for iTMS may be to spice things up?

But on the other hand, quite a few companies still releasing current click wheel compatible games, I am not sure if Apple will want to kill click wheel game market this fast.(but who knows this is Apple)

jukebox
Sep 6, 2008, 03:14 AM
ok so apple is taking a step back

the old nano was way better looking the only way apple could have improve was by presenting a nano touch but they didn't :(

lets hope they don't make these mistakes in the rest of the apple product line

and people that say 'all lies' have never used a touchscreen before!

No.. The current Nano is not better looking. It's a hideous wide monstrosity, with that scratch-magnet for a back.

Apple should be ashamed for using that chrome rear on their iPods. Creating a case market for a device that shouldn't need one.

archi17
Sep 6, 2008, 03:15 AM
It will have wifi.

I could just imagine typing out an email message on this! It would nearly be easier than on a wii!

gctwnl
Sep 6, 2008, 03:20 AM
I think these will have tilt sensors. Turn it sideways and you'll have a screen wider than high and you keep it in one hand for easy viewing. Turn it to the other hand if the first gets tired and 'boom' the movie follows.

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 03:23 AM
the click wheel should be landscapable

tallyho
Sep 6, 2008, 03:28 AM
No.. The current Nano is not better looking. It's a hideous wide monstrosity, with that scratch-magnet for a back.

You're right about the chrome back, but the current nano is actually a really effective form factor. It's great for runners who use an armband and the whole thing is just so tiny that adjectives such as "fat" or "wide" are just silly. If this vertically stretched orange nano is real it's going to be very klunky for watching video...
Plus, it really does look pretty ugly, in a way that the 2G nano upon which it seems to be based didn't.

kontheur
Sep 6, 2008, 03:30 AM
My call: FAKE!

http://www.frankreinders.nl/foto/fake_1.jpg
http://www.frankreinders.nl/foto/fake_2.jpg

G-Force
Sep 6, 2008, 03:31 AM
Looks nice. :)

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 03:32 AM

My call: REAL

Face it dude. iPod Nano Touch is ways away :(

jukebox
Sep 6, 2008, 03:37 AM
Any chance of the screen being glass?

scottylans
Sep 6, 2008, 03:37 AM
My call: REAL

Face it dude. iPod Nano Touch is ways away :(

:((((((((((((((((((((

jukebox
Sep 6, 2008, 03:38 AM

Those are called camera artifacts. Obviously this photo wasn't taken with a DSLR. A cell phone or other type of poor quality camera will give those artifacts in post-processing.

Image is real.

freddiecable
Sep 6, 2008, 03:41 AM
landscape mode operation? how will one operate it when watching movies - obviously the user will have it landscape "angle". but then the click wheel will be "wrong" and the ipod should be included with a sensor monitoring what angle it is - but then again - if running with it - will make it jump back and forth...

jukebox
Sep 6, 2008, 03:43 AM
landscape mode operation? how will one operate it when watching movies - obviously the user will have it landscape "angle". but then the click wheel will be "wrong" and the ipod should be included with a sensor monitoring what angle it is - but then again - if running with it - will make it jump back and forth...

My guess is.. all movies will play in landscape mode. When this occurs, the click wheel controls change appropriately. Meaning, Menu will be Rewind/Skip Backward and Play will be FF/Skip Forward

bj3949
Sep 6, 2008, 03:47 AM
My guess is.. all movies will play in landscape mode. When this occurs, the click wheel controls change appropriately. Meaning, Menu will be Rewind/Skip Backward and Play will be FF/Skip Forward

Yeah, if the click wheel actually turned in sync with the device, this new nano wouldn't be so bad after all.

chickenninja
Sep 6, 2008, 03:57 AM
i smell truth in this rumor

Pikemann Urge
Sep 6, 2008, 03:58 AM
I'll be buying one.
Not from Apple, you won't. That design is not something that Apple would release. No way.

If they do - doubtful, but let's entertain the notion - I'll be looking to get a nice discount on run-out 3G nanos at my nearest Apple retailer. :)

Marcusjlang
Sep 6, 2008, 04:04 AM
LOL at people still in denial. I hope I'm underestimating the prices. They really should be more like... Is that asking for too much? The classic can be bumped 50 bucks if they get bigger screens.

Nano

8GB $100
16GB $200

Touch (GPS, Speaker, Buttons)

16GB $250
32GB $350

Classic

120GB $200
240GB $300

iCantwait
Sep 6, 2008, 04:04 AM
Yeah, if the click wheel actually turned in sync with the device, this new nano wouldn't be so bad after all.

moving parts died on iPods back with the end of the 1G iPod

JoeDRC
Sep 6, 2008, 04:16 AM
bring on the discounted 3g nanos!
i'm still not feeling this design :(

acxz
Sep 6, 2008, 04:29 AM
Still not liking the curved design. From the face on view it doesn't look so bad, but wait until you're sitting under a bright light and it glares up the whole screen.

thisrocks
Sep 6, 2008, 04:30 AM

arn

This was going to be a PM, but it turns out they aren't accessible to me yet, nor does it seem they ever will be, BUT. I only joined instead of remaining a news lurker to kiss arn's ass.

The angle is pretty much THE SAME, it's only in a different colour, and how big Apple fans can you guys really be to not know that iPods come in plastic ****ing cases...ARGH. . The truth is all around us.

Serious Rage over this thread. I really hope it's not the design just to see if all those that said they'd "buy it" would commit.

Ivan P
Sep 6, 2008, 04:32 AM

I didn't take it as if they meant the click wheel physically turned, I thought they just meant that what part of it controlled what function changed (so pressing Menu and Play would rewind/skip, etc).

RoDe
Sep 6, 2008, 04:33 AM
God this is getting seriously boring. What good is a special event when stuff like this keeps leaking out. They might better have something special up there sleeves or I forse a drop in shares.

Like some of you I used to get excited when a special event was announced. But these days the might just called it a "not so very special event, cause everybody knows about event".

truly this doesn't warrant a special event. Just do a silent release Apple and get it over with. Besides I'm getting sick and tired, tall short make-up you damn mind will ya. This thing isn't ugly but it isn't anything special either.

But I must say I am wondering about one thing. If you have the iPod tilted horizontally will the controls tilt with the screen as well. Otherwise it would make for a strange experience.

Jeezeypeeps
Sep 6, 2008, 04:35 AM
This was going to be a PM, but it turns out they aren't accessible to me yet, nor does it seem they ever will be, BUT. I only joined instead of remaining a news lurker to kiss arn's ass.

The angle is pretty much THE SAME, it's only in a different colour, and how big Apple fans can you guys really be to not know that iPods come in plastic ****ing cases...ARGH. . The truth is all around us.

Serious Rage over this thread. I really hope it's not the design just to see if all those that said they'd "buy it" would commit.

Wow! you've got soem serious anger issues there man :eek: Take a chill pill. Its only an iPod for gawd sake.

I like it. Nice and pocketable, and a nice xmassy colour.

iAlan
Sep 6, 2008, 04:40 AM

This is what has me a little confused. To use the device 'sideways in landscape mode' doesn't seem Apple-esque to me for an iPod nano whose screen may not be all that bigger than the current iPod nano screen - although 3mm additional hight could make a big viewing difference I guess.

Basically the click-wheel has me the most confused. If the function of the buttons changes in 'landscape' mode as suggested by jukebox then the labeling is wrong. If the wheel 'rotates' as mentioned by bj3949 I agree with iCantwait about moving parts. So what if there are little glowing icons that change shape with the orientation, then you could see the functions clearly. This would mean a little 'screen' where the button labels are or better yet a virtual wheel with the whole thing a 'screen'- is this possible at the moment or require too much development and/or cost? Or no icons/labels and people just get used to what they do?

Anyway, still not sure the design is legit at the moment - but if Apple want a bigger screen on the nano then it is only logical to change the form back to candy-bar and add a landscape screen as I don't think the current 'fat' nano could see a larger screen added without making the case wider.

JG271
Sep 6, 2008, 04:46 AM
God this is getting seriously boring. What good is a special event when stuff like this keeps leaking out. They might better have something special up there sleeves or I forse a drop in shares.

Like some of you I used to get excited when a special event was announced. But these days the might just called it a "not so very special event, cause everybody knows about event".

truly this doesn't warrant a special event. Just do a silent release Apple and get it over with. Besides I'm getting sick and tired, tall short make-up you damn mind will ya. This thing isn't ugly but it isn't anything special either.

Firstly, the event is hardly to be just about this one iPod. It could be about many iPods, iTunes 8 or even something else.
Secondly, if you don't like leaks and rumors, i suggest you don't go on a rumor site.

This pretty much confirms the Nano design, i wonder what features it might have, and what the battery life is like.

dalvin200
Sep 6, 2008, 04:52 AM
to be honest i just dont understand why they have gone back to this design? was the ipod fatty a mistake??

also, it does look very similar to the nano 2G.. just a larger screen and curves.. i mean.. if the software is the same, then why would anyone buy this over the 2G?

there has to be new software and also a storage bump.. maybe to 32gb or so for it to be appealing?

if it's just a 16gb nano.. meh..

i can see probably the classic getting a bump too...

but yeah, i also remember the days when a special event had lots of surprises.. when no-one knew what would get announced.. but i guess the rise in popularity of apple is bound to have an interest and hard o stop leaks from occuring.

roll on tuesday :)

aafuss1
Sep 6, 2008, 04:57 AM
LOL at people still in denial. I hope I'm underestimating the prices. They really should be more like... Is that asking for too much? The classic can be bumped 50 bucks if they get bigger screens.

Nano

8GB $100
16GB $200

Touch (GPS, Speaker, Buttons)

16GB $250
32GB $350

Classic

120GB $200
240GB $300

Bluetooth should be included on the new touch-so you could use BT headphones-Sony's got a Walkman that has built in bt, why can't Apple do it too?

unlokia
Sep 6, 2008, 05:00 AM
Whoaah... another FAKE picture!. My goodness, people are SO gullible!. Looks like a very good render, with a box photo superimposed onto it.

Amazing what Maya can do ;)

aafuss1
Sep 6, 2008, 05:02 AM
How would Apple fit the split ui to suit the new screen size?

And include a upgraded earphones:
-nanos and classic: same as before
-touch:Apple in-ear headphones ($39 ones that is)

unlokia
Sep 6, 2008, 05:07 AM
Never mind refreshing iPods - they want to start concentrating on re-designing:

1/ in-ear phones - they're crap, fall out and distort too easily

2/ mighty mouse - also rather crap, esp the gunked-up-able scroll ball

3/ putting 4Gb *MINIMUM* in new iMacs and Mac Pro etc, and bigger standard HDDs; PAH!!

gazcross
Sep 6, 2008, 05:07 AM
iPod nano touch?!

Apple have usually been quite hot at pulling REAL images from the net, so maybe there is a hidden secret to this image...

unlokia
Sep 6, 2008, 05:08 AM
iPod nano touch?!

Apple have usually been quite hot at pulling REAL images from the net, so maybe there is a hidden secret to this image...

Yeah there is; it's BS!

bushido
Sep 6, 2008, 05:19 AM
looks not to bad, i think it was the silver or grey who made it look like **** ^^

greggstroud
Sep 6, 2008, 05:24 AM
Maybe this is the design from last year, before the fat iPod Nano, and could they release this and keep the fat nano to keep all customers happy?

doubleohseven
Sep 6, 2008, 05:25 AM
i'm still not feeling this design :(

Me neither. It doesn't seem versatile enough IMO. For example, how is Apple and other companies going to create an exercise armband comfortable enough for something with that sort of shape?

Cyburnclassic
Sep 6, 2008, 05:40 AM
I like the tall design more than the fat, squashed design of the 3G iPod Nano.

Predictions of UK prices:

8GB - 89-99
16GB - 119-129
4GB(maybe) - 69

JAYGEE
Sep 6, 2008, 05:41 AM
I do wish Apple products wouldn't leak like this :(

Sweetbike40
Sep 6, 2008, 05:53 AM
I love the color.

17thletter
Sep 6, 2008, 06:03 AM
I like the design. Just needs cowbell.

Akirant
Sep 6, 2008, 06:05 AM
Just playing with PH.

kontheur
Sep 6, 2008, 06:05 AM
Another pic. Claimed it was the Nano 4G unboxed.
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/09/ipod-nano-4g-lime-eng.jpg

I STILL CALL IT: FFAAAAKKKEEE!!!

thespyglass
Sep 6, 2008, 06:16 AM
Ooooh!!! Now tell me it comes in green and has a 20GB drive... :D

Edit: re. picture above - gah! Maybe all my MBP wishes will come true as well!

richardsim7
Sep 6, 2008, 06:21 AM
Has nobody thought to themselves that this might be the iPod Mini coming back into play? ;)

-Rich-

Belly-laughs
Sep 6, 2008, 06:25 AM

STILL CALL IT: FFAAAAKKKEEE!!!

I agree. The dock's not oval, neither is the nano. Just plain rounded sides. If this is from the same person claiming the boxed image is real, I'm not putting too much trust in it. Not saying the next nano won't look similar, just don't trust the source.

Apple has been very daring with their mini/nano line in the past. This is just "safe". I still hope it won't look like that.

Stike
Sep 6, 2008, 06:27 AM
Yet another spy photo on Engadget...

http://www.engadget.com/media/2008/09/ipod-nano-4g-lime-eng.jpg

yorkshire
Sep 6, 2008, 06:33 AM

Well I also think it's fake, because:

1) It doesn't look curved.
2) It has the old dock connector where you had to pinch to release.
3) The click wheel is bigger than in the picture of the orange nano picture on the front page.
4)The edges of the screen look fuzzy, probably because this person has taken a 2g nano and stretched the screen.

E.Lizardo
Sep 6, 2008, 06:35 AM
Looks good... but I don't see the point of having such a large range of iPods now? I think its time the consolidated the range and prices.

Why?Sales continue to increase.Choice is good!When /if sales flatten they will look at models individually and trim the line as needed.I think the classic will be the first to go as flash decreases in price,especially if the screen doesn't grow.Of course slapping an ipod touch screen on it would be very cool.160 GB+touch screen!

lamina
Sep 6, 2008, 06:40 AM
Hmm... still not pulled by Apple legal.

Although they didn't pull the iPhone 3G leaks...

Padraig
Sep 6, 2008, 06:42 AM
First photo looks like it could be legit. The ones above just don't seem to match it - looks like a photoshopped 2G.

iZac
Sep 6, 2008, 06:43 AM
The oxide orange is back!

im in love <3

NC MacGuy
Sep 6, 2008, 06:48 AM
How much bigger would the screen be than 3 gen? I kind of like the way my chubby feels in my hands. It's really grown on me and I may buy a few more for gifts when they get discounted.

iGary
Sep 6, 2008, 06:55 AM
The first pic is legit as far as I am concerned.

The green one above isn't - it's the old connector style.

joemama
Sep 6, 2008, 06:58 AM

arn

Exactly. I don't understand why people knocked it in the first place. This is the direction he Nano HAD to go. The current Nano's screen is too small. Everything else about it is right-on.

Remember, the Nano is the lowest end iPod in the lineup. Let the others get more attention.

Pikemann Urge
Sep 6, 2008, 07:06 AM
Exactly. I don't understand why people knocked it in the first place.
Ahem. The early images were of an acknowledged knock-off (the one with the USB port and lanyard hook).

The one featured in this thread is different. I still don't think it's Apple of course, but it is different. You guys really think that Apple would release something like that? With the benefit of hindsight you'll see where your reasoning was... not wrong, but incomplete.

tangledweb16
Sep 6, 2008, 07:12 AM

I don't really agree with your post, but I do know what you mean with the plastic case.

nanos have been coming in those plastic sases since 2006, and yet a very large portion of people here think it's fake "because of that terrible plastic case. very un-Apple like".

And to think that these people call themselves Apple fanboys :D Seriously though, people are pretty freakin' oblivious.

My take; this is definitely real. And I must say I like this a lot more than the current gen, especially if it has an accelerometer.

Brianstorm91
Sep 6, 2008, 07:21 AM

arn

I'm still here!

Kardashian
Sep 6, 2008, 07:27 AM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/09/ipod-nano-4g-lime-eng.jpg

It's not curved. It's a stretched iPod mini.

JoeDRC
Sep 6, 2008, 07:33 AM
Exactly. I don't understand why people knocked it in the first place. This is the direction he Nano HAD to go. The current Nano's screen is too small. Everything else about it is right-on.

Remember, the Nano is the lowest end iPod in the lineup. Let the others get more attention.

technically the shuffle is :P

SactoGuy18
Sep 6, 2008, 07:34 AM
What will be the pricing?

I say US$149 for the 8 GB model (silver case only), US$199 for the 16 GB model (up to ten different color cases) and (maybe!!) US$249 for the 32 GB model (black and Product Red case colors only).

Mazda 3s
Sep 6, 2008, 07:37 AM
The first pic is legit as far as I am concerned.

The green one above isn't - it's the old connector style.

Agreed. The second pic just screams photoshop

chaosconan
Sep 6, 2008, 07:37 AM
Why would I want to upgrade my current fatty ipod nano for this model?
Where is the incentive? Where is the new features?

Lets see,

I upgraded 1G to 2G for more memory (8GB), more battery life (2x). Didn't really care for the new case design. I couldn't use my lanyards anymore. I preferred the case of 1G. I love the rear steal and front plastic designs.

I then upgraded 2G to 3G to play video wishing that it was the long slim video case design versus the fatty.

And now again why would I want to upgrade? Surely not for the long slim case design we all were wishing for.

I think apple likes to play with us. :mad:

At this time I think I'll pass if that's all they're offering which is a new case design unless there is more to it.

ogee
Sep 6, 2008, 07:43 AM
I never liked the square nano...I went out of my way to find an older 2G version when I bought last year. If these pictures are real, then I will def upgrade my 4GB to a better capacity 4G if the price is ok.

As a point of interest, a couple of days ago Apple was selling all the square ipod cases cheap as end of line on the German store. Why would they do this is the form factor was not changing ?

rychencop
Sep 6, 2008, 07:49 AM
i love that color.

merrymoon
Sep 6, 2008, 07:50 AM
I didn't like the nano fatty until I actually saw one in person and realized how small they were...

This one's having a similar affect. I think I'll like it, I just need to hold one first.

rychencop
Sep 6, 2008, 07:51 AM

arn

i still don't like the design. :D

gazfocus
Sep 6, 2008, 07:54 AM
Can't wait to see the other colours and specs. Looks good though :)

rychencop
Sep 6, 2008, 07:54 AM
i love my fatty. fits in my pocket nice and it's small. why go back to the tall and thin design apple? you guys can do better! but like many of you; i will need to actually hold one to really see if i like it.

bperkins
Sep 6, 2008, 07:57 AM
I like it, but will the wheel turn when you are watching in widescreen so the controls appear correctly??? From the pic it does not appear so, and that is not Appleisque.

Impulse29
Sep 6, 2008, 07:59 AM
Didn't Steve say something about the plastic caps before the fat iPod nano was released? I still have a hard time believing that they'd go back to such a design. Oh well, I wasn't going to buy one anyway.

onicon
Sep 6, 2008, 08:01 AM
That looks yummy. :)

Since i have a fine working iPod nano 2G 8GB and soon an iPhone 3G 16GB, i won't be tempted. But damn it's sexy. :cool: Can't wait for the other colors.

Here some quick 'n' dirty shops:

acfusion29
Sep 6, 2008, 08:02 AM
If you guys look at the button inside the click wheel (forgot what it's called), on the green one it looks indented, on the orange one, it looks like it matches the curve of the casing.

Stella
Sep 6, 2008, 08:07 AM
If you guys look at the button inside the click wheel (forgot what it's called), on the green one it looks indented, on the orange one, it looks like it matches the curve of the casing.

Yup. I imagine thats not very easy easier.

One thing is clear: New Apple toys are very close :-))

viniciusc
Sep 6, 2008, 08:10 AM
I still wonder how the current half-splitted iPod interface will work on a vertical screen...

Topher15
Sep 6, 2008, 08:11 AM
I have a 8GB second gen Nano. Don't like the fat Nano so am glad it's returning to the long form. I'll only buy however if they do a 16GB model. 8GB is a stretch and that's without video!

zacman
Sep 6, 2008, 08:15 AM
Let's hope only going back to the old design and not to the old bad audio too. The last gen ipods have been the first with a reasonable well audio quality (especially the classic).

chaosconan
Sep 6, 2008, 08:18 AM
Here's what the nano product line should have been. But instead they're going backwards. :rolleyes:

1G original
2G basically with more memory, battery life and better display
3G video
4G touch screen

RoDe
Sep 6, 2008, 08:22 AM
Firstly, the event is hardly to be just about this one iPod. It could be about many iPods, iTunes 8 or even something else.
Secondly, if you don't like leaks and rumors, i suggest you don't go on a rumor site.

This pretty much confirms the Nano design, i wonder what features it might have, and what the battery life is like.

It is not that I don't like leaks, or rumors. I like them just as much as the next guy.
But their is nothing special anymore about the events. Everything leaks and I mean everything leaks out.
Again it not that don't like leaks but the special feeling is gone. Where one is amazed at what Stevo pulls form his hat.

RoDe
Sep 6, 2008, 08:24 AM
I do wish Apple products wouldn't leak like this :(

I fully agree. However I doubt that it is Apple doing the leaking. It maybe factory employee's.

Or maybe it's steve :)

NC MacGuy
Sep 6, 2008, 08:24 AM
I have a 2nd & 3rd gen and just picking them up and measuring what's on each, the chubby's screen and smaller click wheel will just fit on the 2nd gen which looks close to what Apple is reintroducing (rumored??). If the thing can't have more screen real estate, what's the point? Another thing I liked about chubby, his screen didn't scratch like the others.

PMac18
Sep 6, 2008, 08:25 AM
I feel like this generation should have been the third one. It just seems inconsistent how they made it fat and shrunk it, removed the plastic caps that they strived for, and then bring them back again?

meeks
Sep 6, 2008, 08:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

looks nice. Now why didnt they release the iPhone in multiple colors?

iwuzbord
Sep 6, 2008, 08:38 AM
i liked the 3rd gen design as well. but this design seems too reminicent of the 2nd gen design. why would apple change the design completely, then go back to the old design? it doesn't make sense to me....

ipodtouchy333
Sep 6, 2008, 08:41 AM
The orange color is pretty neat. At first, I didn't know whether I liked it or not but now can compare it to the nano now and like this better.

The thing is, I'm saving up my money to finally get my first apple computer which will be the new macbook. I don't even need a new ipod as I have the iPhone 3g (16gb) but I know it will be hard to refuse.....

tgildred
Sep 6, 2008, 08:42 AM
Nice color. I'm glad to see the return to the tall form factor. I still am on the fence about the scroll wheel orientation, though.

tgildred
Sep 6, 2008, 08:47 AM
new shuffle please!

Based on the whole curvy direction Apple is taking, I think it would be cool if the shuffle was a little round square, pebble-like thing. Like a frosted mini-wheat. Mmm.

Quocy
Sep 6, 2008, 08:49 AM
if this is the ipod nano they will be releasing on the 9th i would be surprised...
the reason why i think this is because last year at the apple ipod event before steve jobs introduced the ipod nano we have today he said:

"an all mental design, we would like to get rid of the two plastic caps on the top and bottom"

with this new ipod nano, i would be surprised!

i also think that these colours are too bright? they normally go for colours that are bland like they have at the moment?

this is what i think guys :apple: