Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I like digitial clock, but worried if leave on all night it charging will it damage the screen and cause dead pixels?

mattjb

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
Plant City, FL
I like digitial clock, but worried if leave on all night it charging will it damage the screen and cause dead pixels?

I believe I read somewhere that the average LED backlight is rated at 60,000 hours, which is 2500 days or 6.8 years. That's running it every day, 7 days a week, for 24 hours a day. By then you'd have replace your iPhone/iPod Touch.

However, I think the part that will go out first is the battery, which is non-replaceable. If you leave it in the dock, I don't think it will harm the battery life.

Of course, this is speculation on my part. Perhaps an Apple engineer could better answer this question.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I believe I read somewhere that the average LED backlight is rated at 60,000 hours, which is 2500 days or 6.8 years. That's running it every day, 7 days a week, for 24 hours a day. By then you'd have replace your iPhone/iPod Touch.

However, I think the part that will go out first is the battery, which is non-replaceable. If you leave it in the dock, I don't think it will harm the battery life.

Of course, this is speculation on my part. Perhaps an Apple engineer could better answer this question.

That might be true for LED.. but the iPhone uses micro-CCFL tube lighting for the LCD panel...

Even still, CCFL lasts a very, very long time.. I would say that anybody would end up replacing the iPhone with a newer model by the time the CCFL burns out (if left on 100% of the time).

Think of LCD monitors in your work office.. a lot of them are probably on 24/7 (they are where I work) and I haven't seen one burn out in the almost 2 years i've worked here. We also have a 47" LCD panel in our breakroom that is on 24/7 and it's flawless still.

Jay

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I used my original iPhone for a full year this way and now use my 3G. The LED's and LCD will far outlast the phone even if used 24/7.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
That might be true for LED.. but the iPhone uses micro-CCFL tube lighting for the LCD panel...

Are you sure about this? CFL uses much more energy (and decreases batt life) and is environmentally unfriendly containing mercury and other contaminants. Apple has committed to removing all CFL from their entire line of monitors so why would they back step and put it in the iPhone?:confused:

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
It's not about the backlighting, but the LCD display. LCD displays *can* get a sort of burn-in, but it is VERY hard to do. You generally only see it on commercial LCD displays showing the same thing 24 hours a day for a year. I seriously doubt you would ever see it on the iPhone. I mean, as was mentioned, many people leave their PC's and their LCD monitors on all the time, but have you ever seen the Windows Taskbar burned into the screen? Especially if you let the screen turn off when removed from the charger (as any sane person does).

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I was just looking into this issue and found this thread. It looks like the conclusion is that using the iPhone as a bedside clock replacement is a safe bet. If anyone has further input, please post.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I was just looking into this issue and found this thread. It looks like the conclusion is that using the iPhone as a bedside clock replacement is a safe bet. If anyone has further input, please post.

I use my clock app (ClockFS) as a digital clock, and I've yet to have a problem.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I can't imagine there are any issues with using the built in alarm clock and a third party clock app. I would think the Clock app alarm would go off with a third party app running, correct? I'm either going to use Clockulous or ClockX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.