Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmymac0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
:(HI, i really need some help. a couple of months ago i stupidly fell asleep watching a film on my macbook whilst drinking a gin and tonic after a night out! when i woke up i realised that i had spilt it on the computer, and it would only turn on for a few seconds.

after a few days of drying out, the computer worked fine, but only with the adaptor plugged in. there is a black X over the battery status indicator. there is also a few keys which dont work. i have ordered a new tracking pad and keyboard to replace that which hopefully will work. however i dont know what to do about the battery issue! i have tried a friends battery and it doesnt work. if the macbook is on, powered by the adaptor, and i remove and replace the battery, the battery status says it is calculating for about 5 or 10 minutes, and the magsafe adaptor turns orange. after that it returns to a black cross and a green light.

is this the logic board? if so how can i go about fixing/ cleaning it?

thanks so much for any help given! :)

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Almost certain to be the logicboard - damaged by the gin and tonic.

The only fix is a new logicboard - sorry....

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I have similar symptoms on one of my MB's. Can only use it plugged in which doesn't make it too much of a portable.:rolleyes:

Certainly is a bad logic board and Apple wants a crapload to replace it. Matter of fact, I can get another refurb for $200 more than their logic board repair. If it's still under a year old or you have Applecare, take it in. I wouldn't mention the spillage though. Lucky me, mine went at 14 months old.:mad:

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
Easy;
- Buy a new macbook. That'll make more sense than repairing a damaged one.
- Don't drink alcohol by your 1100+ dollar computer.

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
But at least you had a gin and tonic, good choice.

I think basically count yourself lucky that it still works at all and all your data is still happy and safe. You might want to make a backup of all your important stuff just in case something decides to go haywire though...

jimmymac0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
thanks 4 the responses guys. im goin 2 try n replace the keyboard when that arrives and maybe have a clean about on the logic board, then if that doesnt work take it to the apple shop...its just so far away.

can anyone give me any tips for cleaning the logic board? like what equipment to use, technique, etc.

thanks

computerwiz222

macrumors broskanovski
Sep 5, 2008
Well as soon as you replace the keyboard, your warranty is voided. Also, it sounds like the battery is shot because something went wrong on the power management circuit.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, poke around. If there are any bleeding capacitors or burnt resistors/diodes - give them a replace. These parts are extremely cheap.

Remember, water isn't the greatest conductor of electricity, its substances that are dissolved in the water. (ie: salt)

Try cleaning the logic board with distilled water. Get the purest stuff you can find, sometimes alcohol is better.

These are just some suggestions, Apple will still do a better job then you or I will, but you might be able to save about a thousand dollars...

I wouldn't try any of these things unless you really know what you are doing...

jimmymac0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Well as soon as you replace the keyboard, your warranty is voided. Also, it sounds like the battery is shot because something went wrong on the power management circuit.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, poke around. If there are any bleeding capacitors or burnt resistors/diodes - give them a replace. These parts are extremely cheap.

Remember, water isn't the greatest conductor of electricity, its substances that are dissolved in the water. (ie: salt)

Try cleaning the logic board with distilled water. Get the purest stuff you can find, sometimes alcohol is better.

These are just some suggestions, Apple will still do a better job then you or I will, but you might be able to save about a thousand dollars...

I wouldn't try any of these things unless you really know what you are doing...

how will apple be able to tell if i have replaced the keyboard? is there different serial numbers or something?

i might send it off first and see what they say and if they dont, then give it a go. is the pwer management circuit a big deal to fix, i.e many components? and will these just be standard resistors and diodes or will i have to find some exactly the same size (as in how large they are not how many ohms, etc)

rogair

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
how will apple be able to tell if i have replaced the keyboard? is there different serial numbers or something?

i might send it off first and see what they say and if they dont, then give it a go. is the pwer management circuit a big deal to fix, i.e many components? and will these just be standard resistors and diodes or will i have to find some exactly the same size (as in how large they are not how many ohms, etc)

The S/N is on a sticker on your top case. Use a blade to peel up one corner, and then pull it off and transfer it to your new top case.

One thing that no one mentioned is the sleep switch/battery connector. With your top case off, and lid opened, it will be on the NW corner of your battery bay. It's a cheap(er) part to replace. Something to check before accepting the fact that you might have to just replace the MLB.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.