Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

products7074740

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Here's the thing, I really want Spore but after the horrible experience I had with Battlefield 2142 I am hesitant to buy a ported EA game.

I have a 2.2Ghz SR MBP with 2 gigs of ram and the Nvidia 8600.

The creature creator runs awesome on my computer but I'm not sure if thats any indication. Battlefield 2142 just ran crappy even with the lowest settings.

Will I be able to enjoy the full experience of Spore on my mac? Or will it just feel like another crappy port?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I was told by a friend in Australia who has got the game already that he plays with everything at max on his MBP and it still runs very well.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
For some reason I can set everything to Max except the lighting... that slows it down a ton... not sure what's up with that... you'd think a quad core mac pro with the 512 MB graphics card could swing it...

Maybe I goofed up some other random setting though.

iNeko

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
England
I have a Rev-A Macbook Pro (2.0ghz Core Duo, 2gb ram 128mb x1600) and the game runs with highest settings except for shadows and lighting - but there's a "Mac OSX issue" with the x1600 and the x1900 according to the readme which means you have to set the lighting to low or it'll be unplayable...

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
For some reason I can set everything to Max except the lighting... that slows it down a ton... not sure what's up with that... you'd think a quad core mac pro with the 512 MB graphics card could swing it...

Maybe I goofed up some other random setting though.

That seems very odd :confused:, how does it look (gameplay) compared to the creature creator?

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
people here and other people have been saying they're having no problem with max settings... so I'd say you're fine. Also the creature creator is probably a decent indication. At least, if it doesn't work well you know spore won't so it works that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.