Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Alrighty, I've been looking at a few hosts, but I'd like to get some input (hopefully from people who've actually used them) because it's pretty hard to tell what your actually getting sometimes.

I'm a Computer Science major and currently taking my first web class , Intro to HTML. I started learning HTML online this summer and pretty much had the basics down. I've read through the book already to get the CSS part so now I just need to practice.

Basically I want something to host a simple site, but be able to expand if I decide web dev is for me. Although I likely don't need a lot of storage or bandwidth, I would like to be able to throw up pictures/video/other random files to have them accessible.

A few I've considered:
aplus.net
The personal plan is good, 40gb transfer but only 500mb storage.
The business sounds too good to be true. 170gb storage and 2tb transfer for $10 a month. I imagine it's mostly marketing since they're shared servers and it's unlikely that those amounts would be used anyway.

Webhostgiant.com
25gb/1tb for $2.79/mo. I haven't heard much about them so I don't know if the low price is worth it.

Site5.com
Running and unlimited disk/bandwidth promo.

asmallorange.com
Apparently is popular here. Bandwidth is good, low storage.

dreamhost.com
Currently unlimited space/bandwidth as long as you have your account. The normal amounts are pretty high and supposedly increase by the week. Not sure how that works. $11/mo. Seems like a good deal if legit.

A few other important things are Free setup and I'd like to pay by the month, at least for now. I'm not sure that I would ever use more than the 400mb on smallorange, but like I said I'd like to be able to dump a bunch of files on it if needed. I guess I want the best bang/buck, just not necessarily the cheapest. I don't want to be sorry in the end.

Sorry for such a winded post.:p

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I've been very happy with A Small Orange, and recommend them without hesitation. :)

Their prices are a little higher, but you get what you pay for - especially with web hosts!

ant-macyourself

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
Check out Bluehost and see what you think. They've got good prices and great customer service, from my past experience. Never had a major problem and I've been with them for years.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
No one is going to sell you "unlimited" hosting. When you near the peak of using a lot of resources, they'll terminate your account. I know, as it has happened to a good friend of mine several times with his high-traffic site. I guess what I'm saying is, while saying 'unlimited' may look good on paper, in practice it's not. Go for a plan that fits your needs.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I've been with DreamHost for a little while now and have had a good experience with them. They have a lot of nice features like SSH and the ability to setup cron jobs.

If you do month to month plans expect to pay more, that's just how it is. I went with three years to get my monthly cost down.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
I've been with DreamHost for a little while now and have had a good experience with them. They have a lot of nice features like SSH and the ability to setup cron jobs.

If you do month to month plans expect to pay more, that's just how it is. I went with three years to get my monthly cost down.

I currently have Dreamhost too, as well as several other servers. Dreamhost has been good, no trouble yet. I have had a friend with his account canceled as he was using too many resources on Dreamhost though.

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
What kind of traffic was your friend getting to get his account shutdown?

I realize the unlimited is marketing fluff.
Anyone have experience with aplus.net?

Thanks for the input so far.

memco

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
I'm also a DH customer, and I've been satisfied with them. However, I wanted to offer you the suggestion of setting up your local computer as a server. The drawback is that you won't be able to have this stuff available to all the world (unless you setup the DNS and whatnot), but it will provide useful experience, and plenty of storage, and best of all: it's free. MAMP is the easy way to do it, but configuring and compiling the necessary components via the terminal is also a good option.

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
I had my own server set up at home a couple years ago. Problem is, at home I only have about 480kb/s up.
I'm at school right now and the scenario is even worse. The internet in our apartments/doorms is so messed up it's unusable.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
What kind of traffic was your friend getting to get his account shutdown?

Well within his limits. He wasn't on an unlimited account, just....seems like his traffic used a lot of resources, wasn't worth keeping him. But I've been happy with Dreamhost as a shared provider.

MojoWill

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
most of the time its not storage or bandwidth that gets accounts shutdown it is CPU usage. They offer massive storage and bandwidth the trouble being when you start getting close to those limits you are using more CPU than they like so they cut you off.

MCRunning

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
Hostgator

They should meet all your needs for what you are asking. Just whatever you do don't go with Dreamhost...most downtime ever. Plus their control panel is terrible.

If you decide to move on to a VPS/Dedicated at some point Wiredtree is the way to go.

MC

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Hostgator

They should meet all your needs for what you are asking. Just whatever you do don't go with Dreamhost...most downtime ever. Plus their control panel is terrible.

If you decide to move on to a VPS/Dedicated at some point Wiredtree is the way to go.

MC

I'll pass another vote the Hostgator way. I had to switch hosts earlier this year and decided to give Hostgator a try and I've been very happy with their service and reliability. They offer quite a bit for the price and they allow multiple domains to be hosted for a very reasonable price through the addon domain feature of CPanel. I'd recommend you give them a look.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Hostgator

MC

Never had any problem with DH uptime. I have considered HostGator though, but just never have been provoked to switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.