Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
The buzz of anticipation is all over the place... When will the notebooks be refreshed/redesigned? Will there still be white? Will the specs be better? Are the prices dropping? But for me, the real question is this: Is newer and/or cheaper really better? Sometimes new model years in cars are not good things with all kinds of glitches... mechanical, electronic, etc. Could it be that way for computers? When a line is "refreshed" or "redesigned" can we expect glitches? I remember printing issues with Leopard and syncing nightmares with MobileMe... let's not even get into MobileMe.

So, for all the students and all of us Mac Addicts looking to make another purchase, is it smart to grab the first ones or is it smarter to get one of the "last model years" that have all the updates and improvements that would prove to me more stable?

Sometimes cheaper is just cheap and older is better? Your thoughts?

Chandler Adaway

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Beaumont, TX
I think when you buy a brand new product from any where, there is going to be some problems. And they'll get worked out just like they always do. It's kind of a sacrifice you have to make to get the latest and greatest thing.

And it also depends on how revolutionary the "new thing" is.

Who knows what's going to be on the new notebooks from Apple.

You ask if there is still going to be white...
Some will see it as a downgrade if Apple were to drop white. I however see Aluminum as an upgrade. It's all about preference.
And it's not like the older MacBook's won't be in the refurb store FOREVER. I think just last month, the white iMac's where being sold.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
sometimes newer and cheaper is not always better, but we've been so conditioned to buy, buy, buy and become expert consumers to buy the next, newest, greatest thing.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
The notebooks won't experience that much of a price drop and newer is better. Think what would happen if we didn't use USB 2.0 or still used the first Max OS? Newer isn't always greater, but for the most part, Apple stuff usually is. Look at the iPhone 3G and the entire iPod line.

archi17

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Australia
I think that it will be better. But if you already have a decent speced macbook than it is not really worth it to update it, just to get the new one.

computerwiz222

macrumors broskanovski
Sep 5, 2008
There will always be glitches with new products, but Apple will release updates and fixes for these problems and you will be back on track again.

I am never afraid to buy a new product. Hundreds of thousands of dollars go into engineering these systems, any minor glitches will be just that, minor...

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Great comments. All good points. I know you all speak from your experiences, so it's very interesting to hear your points of view.

*Sandy*

macrumors 6502
There will always be glitches with new products, but Apple will release updates and fixes for these problems and you will be back on track again.

I am never afraid to buy a new product. Hundreds of thousands of dollars go into engineering these systems, any minor glitches will be just that, minor...

I too, buy the minute a item is released, but I have learned last time Macbook Air, and bought the current MB for myself...

wesg

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, ON
Newer is always better, but at this point the current crop of MacBooks has nothing that makes me feel that my 2nd generation C2D MacBook is getting old.

The thing to remember with buying computers is that if it does the job you want at the very beginning, it will continue to do that job regardless if it is the latest or greatest machine out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.