Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
The reason being that one app has/does a certain feature better than the other and vice versa? Or because of unreliability of servers or data or whatever, i keep both on hand as backup for the other. or i'm in the process of evaluating which app i want to eventually keep. Ideally i would prefer one perfect app, however that's easier said then done i guess.....

For example, i have both sportacular and sportstap

I have both twinkle and twitterfon

I have both wine pad and wine snob

I have both newsstand and manifesto

I have both myweather and weather bug

I have palringo, IM+, and mobilechat (though MC will be deleted as soon as beejive comes out)

I have both drinks and cocktails

I have both Shazam and midomi

I have both notes2self and speakeasy

and so on and so on................am i an apps freak or anyone else out there like me?

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
Yeah, you get one and then hope the other one is better. For me is file management apps :( and Note apps.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I have a few to-do/list programs ... zenbe and others...
I have now stopped buying apps until i can see a video of them running on youtube or somewhere...

I have a fair number of apps now which i never put on the iphone

Trial software FTW!

CommanderData

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2007
Yep, I do this too! Some examples of similar apps that I have:

DataCase and MobileFinder
pTerm and iSSH
MochaVNC Lite, Full and Teleport/Jaadu VNC
Aki Mahjong, Mahjong Solitare, Shanghai Mahjong
Feeds and Newstand
FAA Wait and AirportStatus
Tides and AyeTides

Many times I have bought the first one available, and then migrated to a better program as it comes out. I used to keep everything I bought on my phone until it locked up indefinitely (I believe there are threads here about that, or maybe at Tuaw.com). Ended up restoring as a new phone and then selectively copying apps to it.

TheZimm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Yep, I do this too! Some examples of similar apps that I have:

DataCase and MobileFinder
pTerm and iSSH
MochaVNC Lite, Full and Teleport/Jaadu VNC
Aki Mahjong, Mahjong Solitare, Shanghai Mahjong
Feeds and Newstand
FAA Wait and AirportStatus
Tides and AyeTides

Many times I have bought the first one available, and then migrated to a better program as it comes out. I used to keep everything I bought on my phone until it locked up indefinitely (I believe there are threads here about that, or maybe at Tuaw.com). Ended up restoring as a new phone and then selectively copying apps to it.

Kinda random I know but,

Is datacase or mobilefinder better?

Also,

I do the same thing, but I usually pick the one I like best, keep that one on my ipod, but keep the other one in iTunes if needed for later

CommanderData

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2007
Kinda random I know but,

Is datacase or mobilefinder better?

Also,

I do the same thing, but I usually pick the one I like best, keep that one on my ipod, but keep the other one in iTunes if needed for later

Thats a very tough question. Datacase just updated the other day and I have not downloaded the update. I like MobileFinder's interface a lot more, but I like DataCase's ability to show up automatically in OS X Finder with bonjour as a drive (MobileFinder requires FTP at the moment). If MobileFinder implements bonjour, bookmarking and searching of documents I will delete DataCase. For now, I'm letting them fight it out. :)

On the topic at hand... Usually I keep only a single app for a single purpose on my iPhone, or at least I do since I had to restore it completely. I also keep the others available in iTunes in case I want to try them again later.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Yeah, I did this with Showtimes/Movies/Now Playing, and Now Playing was my favorite - so it's the only one I kept.

Same with Shazam/Midomi - and while Midomi did more things, Shazam did the one thing I actually used BETTER. So Midomi's gone (the humming thing NEVER worked for me as a test, and I found I never needed it anyway).

The only similar apps I've still kept BOTH of are Mobile Fotos and Exposure. Each does different things I like, so I'm not ready to pare them down to just one yet - but I probably will eventually. I'm trying to keep the number of apps down as much as possible, since the more apps, the weaker iPhone performance overall.

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
sportstap and sportacular ---- sportacular is much better
shazam and midomi ---- use both
younote and evernote ---- haven't decided yet
now playing, movies, and showtime ---- now playing is much better
palringo and IM+ ---- haven't decided yet
google reader and netnewswire ---- google reader is better I think
units and converter ---- haven't decided yet

That's about it! :p

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I usually don't keep multiple apps around. Sometimes I'll have more than one app that does the same thing because I start using one then I find a better one, but I usually remove the first app after I'm sure that I'm happier with the second one.

I've been using Datacase for a while but after this latest update I finally got tired of how it loses my files every time I update it (and this time I even had to do a full restore from backup to get it working again after the update), so I switched to "Files" and removed Datacase, and Files has been working quite nicely so far. I like how Files allows you to have as many subdirectories as you want, so I can just copy full directories from my computer instead of having to pick and choose individual files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.