View Full Version : Cubase>Leopard Frustration!
Sep 7, 2008, 08:50 AM
Hi there, how's it going?
For the past couple of years i had been using CUBASE SX very happily. Then last month, after buying a new ipod, i updated my operating system to osx leopard. Unfortunately, updating to leopard meant that cubase no longer loads - which totally sucks!
I've read what's on the Steinberg forums about the update for V4 to V4.1.0 but i can't find a torrent for version 4 anywhere :(. I have been considering buying Pro-Tools M-Powered instead and forgetting about cubase all together, but can't decide what to do.
Basically, i need some advice in terms of either;
a/ making cubase work properly on leopard
b/ downgrading my operating system to tiger (is this possible)
c/ which application i should switch to as a last resort (the reason why i mentioned pro tools m-powered was because i have an m-audio sound card).
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks very much for reading, Joe
Sep 7, 2008, 09:44 AM
To make Cubase work properly on Leopard, buy it. I don't mean to have a "Holier Than Thou" attitude, but pirated software isn't cool.
But let's look as more feasible options. Yes, you can downgrade your OS if you have the Tiger install discs. Just make sure that you have everything backed up to an external so you can load it back onto the computer when you've finished reinstalling Tiger.
If you're looking to make the switch, compare prices:
Cubase 4 Essential: $149 ($74.99 Academic)
Cubase 4 (full): $599 ($399 Academic)
PT M-Powered: $249
Now, you say that you have an M-Audio Sound card. Depending on what kind of Mac you have, you may or may not be able to use it.
Which sound card do you have and what kind of Mac do you plan to use it with?
Sep 7, 2008, 01:33 PM
Hello cschreppel, thanks for your reply!
Definitely, i'm all for buying my software. My only problem at the moment is figuring out what to buy/how best to go about solving my cubase compatibility issues.
I upgraded from os x 10.3.9 to Leopard, so unfortunately i don't have tiger discs. I just wondered if there was a simple apple-approved way to downgrade?
I'm working on a 12" PowerBook G4 and using an M-Audio Mobile Pre USB sound card. Would i require an intel mac in order to use pro tools m-powered?
thanks for your help!
Sep 7, 2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure if there's an Apple-approved method to downgrade if you don't have the original discs...I've always had the discs, so I've never had to do that.
Regarding your question about the Intel Mac, no, you don't have to have one to get the latest and greatest version of PTMP. I checked Digidesign's Support page for it and it looks like they have support for both Intel and PowerPC Macs...so your 12" PB should do fine. Here's the page for you to check out.
Honestly, and I've made this recommendation in other threads, I would go with M-Powered. It's the most flexible version of Pro Tools as far as using in conjunction with several different interfaces. Your M-Audio box will work wonderfully with it. It's an industry standard and, to me, is more flexible and user friendly than Cubase...and I use Nuendo (very similar to Cubase) every day at work....but at home and for my freelance gigs, I'm all Pro Tools.
Sep 7, 2008, 06:12 PM
awesome! thanks so much for your help!
the only thing i can see on that spec requirements page that i don't have is 1GB of ram. i did however find a thread on here about somebody upgrading their 12"pb with a 1GB stick - do you know if this is definitely possible? also, in terms of ordering new ram, what should i be careful of?
the removable 256 DDR-SDRAM stick i have in here says PC2700U under 'speed' - should i make sure the 1gb stick is also DDR-SDRAM of the same speed? for example, would this do? - https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Samsung/27SAMSO1GB/ - everything i come across says 'DDR-SODIMM' and not 'DDR-SDRAM'. am i making any sense? i'm confused :confused:
Sep 8, 2008, 11:49 AM
www.macsales.com has the best way to purchase RAM for your Mac. If they say it's supposed to work with your Powerbook G4, then it will.
Their customer service is great too if you run into any issues.
Anyway, that RAM should just be fine for you.
Sep 8, 2008, 04:38 PM
thanks so much for all your help - i owe you a pint! :D