Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
Does anyone know of a review/benchmark article that compares:

eMac
iBook G4 or G3
iMac G4
powerbook 12"

I'd like to know how these 4 systems that can all be found with 1Ghz G4 processers bench graphically against each other. Every one of them uses a different video processor.

Would be interesting info. Anyone work at an Apple store willing to bench a 3D game on 4 systems? ;)

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
you trying to compare apples with oranges. on memory on the graphics card , graphics card chipset, and graphical test will have effects on the test.

for example any opengl test will favor nvidia cards which are optimized for opengl where as ati design the cards for directx. also onboard memory the video card and RAMDAC speed will play apart. another thing is usually most people won't benmarks laptop against desktop unless they are using for a frame of reference because the desktop will always win. processor speed will be factor too especially when games are in play. basically if they all the computer had the sam processor speed and the same amount of ram and hard drive speed. the one with the better video card will win. hmmm rocket science huh...

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
No, unlike all the other tests out there, I'm trying to compare Apples to Apples.

My post is specific, I want to see the performance of 1Ghz G4 CPUs on all platforms (CPU the same). All G4's use DDR. They all have different video systems. RAMDAC performance is not an issue. RAMDAC does not effect speed, only visual quality and refresh rate. So you summed up my post well, the best video processor will win. Which is it?

Also, ATi has surpassed Nvidia is all areas on the PC side including OpenGL. I wonder if the same has happened in the Mac world.

Since I have made part of my living running video gaming competitions AND I personally use Macs (and PCs) I'm just trying to find out what the best mac would be for me. And I'm pretty open to just about anything other than the G4 tower or G5. As much as the G5s are nice I can't be toting around that giant case, they are at lest 4x larger than the PCs I carry from event to event.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
i was simply stating that you comparing desktop video card and laptop video cards is a skewed comparision. Nvidia has historically done better in opengl. heh...your just contradicted yourself. You stated ramdac only effects visual quality and refresh rates.... ok fine, to that means that a higher ramdac would be the better video card. unless there is something else you want from a video card beside a killer refresh rate and superior image quality.

Originally posted by slowtreme
No, unlike all the other tests out there, I'm trying to compare Apples to Apples.

My post is specific, I want to see the performance of 1Ghz G4 CPUs on all platforms (CPU the same). All G4's use DDR. They all have different video systems. RAMDAC performance is not an issue. RAMDAC does not effect speed, only visual quality and refresh rate. So you summed up my post well, the best video processor will win. Which is it?

Also, ATi has surpassed Nvidia is all areas on the PC side including OpenGL. I wonder if the same has happened in the Mac world.

Since I have made part of my living running video gaming competitions AND I personally use Macs (and PCs) I'm just trying to find out what the best mac would be for me. And I'm pretty open to just about anything other than the G4 tower or G5. As much as the G5s are nice I can't be toting around that giant case, they are at lest 4x larger than the PCs I carry from event to event.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.