rakester
Sep 7, 2008, 08:28 PM
////

rakester
Sep 7, 2008, 08:59 PM
////

iToaster
Sep 7, 2008, 09:17 PM
It's not the hard drive, it's more likely to be that you're running Leopard on 512 MB or RAM, which needs more RAM. Of course, there could be a deeper problem, such as bad RAM in general, but not having enough RAM will produce a lot of slowdowns and potentially lockups, but, once again, I can't rule out some other problem in this situation. The beep(s) would indicate bad RAM, so I'd have to go with the RAM... potentially both slots are actually failing... I dunno...

rolex54
Sep 7, 2008, 09:34 PM
try running memtest for a couple of hours
http://www.memtestosx.org/
see if you get any errors, the program costs 1.39, but could easily answer your problem

JPIndustrie
Sep 7, 2008, 09:35 PM
I think you can get another 512 for pretty cheap nowadays. It's not like it's 2003 :p

Try getting another 512 to replace the you had.

rakester
Sep 8, 2008, 07:41 AM
///

rakester
Sep 9, 2008, 11:16 AM
////

g4cubed
Sep 9, 2008, 11:34 AM
Could it be the Main Logic Board?

It could be but my vote is to get more RAM especially since you're running Leopard.

andiwm2003
Sep 9, 2008, 11:39 AM
the powerbooks of that time had a problem called upper ram slot failure.

the ram slot failed, not the ram itself. try putting your ram in the other slot and see if it's better. if it is better go to a apple store, maybe it's under warranty (mine was).

aside of that replace your ram with at least a 1GB stick.

jalagl
Sep 9, 2008, 12:09 PM
Those Powerbooks in particular suffered from several issues that became apparent after the warranty expired. Mine had the following issues:

First, it would go to sleep every once in a while while you were working. it was frustrating to say the least. It turns out one of the temperature sensors (under the trackpad) tends to go bad, so the PB goes to sleep because of an "overtemp" signal. This can be "fixed' by removing some kext files that deal with the temperature sensors.
Then, I had the same issue with the memory. The memory slot failed, and the computer had the same symptoms as yours. This is well-known issue, and Apple even had a replacement program for a while. The only definitive fix is to replace the motherboard, and, if it isn't under warranty, can get very expensive.

There is some information and links over at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook_G4#Quality_issues_2)