PDA

View Full Version : avi

joshuaaaron
Sep 7, 2008, 11:54 PM
can itunes play .avi's?

r.j.s
Sep 7, 2008, 11:55 PM
quicktime can with perian, so can vlc. Why do you need iTunes to?

richard.mac
Sep 7, 2008, 11:57 PM
no. but you can install Perian (perian.org), open it in QuickTime Player and save as a reference file and then add the reference file to iTunes.

joshuaaaron
Sep 8, 2008, 12:01 AM
well i have a movie .avi movie and i wanted it on my itunes for some organizational reason, and i'll be getting an iphone and wouldnt mind having a movie on hand

richard.mac
Sep 8, 2008, 12:03 AM
^ well you didnt specify if you wanted to play it on your iPhone. use iSquint (isquint.com) to convert the .avi to .mp4. note this will cause a loss in quality.

r.j.s
Sep 8, 2008, 12:03 AM
well i have a movie .avi movie and i wanted it on my itunes for some organizational reason, and i'll be getting an iphone and wouldnt mind having a movie on hand

Get iSquint, it will convert it to an iphone compatible format.

joshuaaaron
Sep 8, 2008, 02:37 AM
and this is why i love this forum. thank folks

Steve Jobs=God
Sep 8, 2008, 06:47 AM
^ well you didnt specify if you wanted to play it on your iPhone. use iSquint (isquint.com) to convert the .avi to .mp4. note this will cause a loss in quality.

Is there any way to prevent the quality loss?

richard.mac
Sep 8, 2008, 06:49 AM
Is there any way to prevent the quality loss?

no because iPhone can only play mpeg and the .avi is a container which probably has divx or xvid video. coverting one video format to another format gives a loss in quality.

try to get a really good quality .avi and then encode it to .mp4 with high quality settings. this will result in a lower quality loss but will also take ages.

Steve Jobs=God
Sep 8, 2008, 06:58 AM
At the moment i use iSquint on the highest quality setting, but still end up sometimes with, not so much picture quality drop, but the sound track a couple of seconds out from the picture

richard.mac
Sep 8, 2008, 07:00 AM
not sure sorry. just tinker with it and try again you might get the audio back in sync.