PDA

View Full Version : Major independent electronic music label Warp Records throws...

MacBytes
Jan 16, 2004, 11:54 PM
Category: Tunes
Link: Major independent electronic music label Warp Records throws DRM out the window and launches Bleep.com: Almost their whole catalog now available in high-quality, non-DRM, VBR Mp3's, at $1.35 per song, and great prices on whole albums. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040117005445)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Sabenth
Jan 17, 2004, 01:52 AM
Intrsting to see that warp chose this option rather than join up with MS or Apple or anyone else for that matter. I can get songs now that i like at last..

Good one Warp

druggedonions
Jan 17, 2004, 10:20 AM
Just bought an album for Û9.99

Great to see a good independent record company use some initiative. Introducing something like this that is beyond any international boundaries. Accessible to anyone anywhere, as long as your over 13 years old ;) The only question is whether people will respect the usage policy.

I hope this speeds up the release of iTMS in Europe as well

Xero
Jan 17, 2004, 07:14 PM
woohoo! i was pretty excited to find out that Bleep was finally a full blown system, not too mention all of the great back-catalogue theyve got available for download. this makes it a lot easier to purchase a quick EP or two, and a lot cheaper.

Me being the one that submitted this news bit, i encourage people that arent even familiar with Warp to just go and have a listen to a few different songs and artists, its really amazing the variety and different types of music that Warp distributes.

MrMacMan
Jan 17, 2004, 10:01 PM
Ah I was hopeing some major independent music labels would team up with the iTMS... ah well.

Their system looks good.

ITR 81
Jan 17, 2004, 10:06 PM
$1.35 per track??
Screw that.

Mehmet
Jan 18, 2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
$1.35 per track??
Screw that.

i think you're forgetting that it's non-drm, plus VBR mp3's.

Xero
Jan 18, 2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
$1.35 per track??
Screw that.

ummm, yeah, like Mehmet said, look at what you are getting. Higher quality than iTMS (since i assume thats what youre subconsciously comparing it too), no DRM, and a lot of it is really hard to find stuff. Plus, most of the non-new release stuff is well under $9.99 for full length albums.

Awesome deals if youve been a long-time warp fan...

Mehmet
Jan 18, 2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Xero
ummm, yeah, like Mehmet said, look at what you are getting. Higher quality than iTMS (since i assume thats what youre subconsciously comparing it too), no DRM, and a lot of it is really hard to find stuff. Plus, most of the non-new release stuff is well under $9.99 for full length albums.

Awesome deals if youve been a long-time warp fan...

IDM is hard to find in mostly pop-run cities aint it xero.

Of course, in berkeley, i can find most of the idm i could ever wish for :)

Got any recomended cd's that have been released recently? (going to sell some of my cd's at a local shop)

Xero
Jan 19, 2004, 12:29 AM
yeah you are lucky man. :) fortunatly i moved out of the small town i was trapped in, and now i get to soak in at least a bit of culture. As for recommendations? hell ive got plenty of those!;)

lets see

Jimmy Edgar - Access Rythem EP (i just bought this off bleep. this kid makes some ***** amazing electro-glitch hiphop stuff. his album on m3rck.net is even better: "My Mines I")

Plaid - Spokes (just came out, brilliant IDM type electronic)

both of the Brothomstates albums Qtio, and Claro, are awesome albums on Warp

Chris Clark - Empty The Bones Of You, and Clarence Park (really wicked cool stuff, awesome samples and such)

Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher (very cool electronic hiphop-esque album)

and of-course Squarepusher is stuff of genius. but probably my favorite album of his is a fairly old one: "Hard Normal Daddy" sooooooo good.

well after a quick run-through of iTunes, thats what i all picked out, though Mehmet you probably know most of that stuff is awesome already.

as for anyone else reading this... go discover new music!!

Matthé
Jan 26, 2004, 02:11 PM
I've been thinking a longue time that something like this would happen:
cutting the big 6 out of the loop
iTunes and other services still need the major recordlabels - which no-one really likes cause they're a bunch of corporate money-mongering @ssholes
if all small labels would do thesame - the future of the majors is very much in danger
seeing that warp gives it's artists half of the profit of the downloads this is certainjly not a bad thing
1.35 a song is a lot but the album prices are very reasonable - they're simply incouraging people to buy full albums

now if in the future iTunes could turn from being an actual store to being THE portal to all artists individually or by label - it has a chance of surviving