Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tk-421

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
Katy, TX
Question: anybody know of a way to have the login items delayed before launching a certain amount of time?

My problem is that I have a saved Terminal file that is in the login items that starts up, changes a dir, and starts up a server app. It's been working great.

However, lately the server app now connects to a remote mysql database, and it seems the terminal file is been started before the airport even kicks on and I get a database not found error.

If there was a way to make it so the terminal app doesn't start for like 30 more seconds, everything will be cool.

Is there a way to change the login item start time? Or perhaps advice on an alternative?

Thanks.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
You can probably do this with an Apple Script. Don't ask me how but you should be able to include that terminal file in an Apple Script and set it to open after like lets say 10 seconds or so. Then just put the Apple Script in the login items or you can put the script on the desktop and just double click on it when you login. That should work.

Maybe someone else can help you with Apple Scripts. I really wish I knew more about how to make them, but I don't.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Are you set up to automatically login? Or do you use the Login Screen?

I would assume that if you used the login screen the airport signal would be detected first, and your Login Item would not execute till you login.

tk-421

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
Katy, TX
Auto login. I'm playing with applescript and I think I might have figured something out that'll work. Let's see....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.