Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It'd be really nice if the front-page articles which relate to major Apple events could list the time in more timezones. For example the Let's Rock roundup lists Pacific and Eastern. It'd be nice to see a few more (like say UK) to stop us having to convert in our heads every time...

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
It'd be really nice if the front-page articles which relate to major Apple events could list the time in more timezones. For example the Let's Rock roundup lists Pacific and Eastern. It'd be nice to see a few more (like say UK) to stop us having to convert in our heads every time...

I agree. I would appreciate it if the site could post times in GMT alongside everything else.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
3am 10/09/08 here on the east coast - it's gonna be a loooong night...

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I suggested a little while back if we could have something similar but that would automatically convert it to local time such as on the f1 site.

But yes this would be more than welcome.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
An excellent idea if it could be put into practice; I have a hazy (but broadly accurate idea of US times zones - an atlas has helped in the past), and a somewhat better one going east; rough subtraction tends to do it, but it is always a rough estimate. (Do enlighten me; how many time zones are there in the US - and what is the time difference between them?)

BST is GMT+1 which does not end until the last week-end of October, whereas Europe goes into Winter Time at the last week-end in September.

Cheers

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I know that Arn is on the East Coast and that Apple is HQed on the Pacific, but I too think that it would be nice if countdowns and other front page stuff could be based off of UTC, which would eliminate the need to convert for Daylight Savings as well.

I imagine most of us know our time zone relative to UTC, so it wouldn't be too hard right?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Daylighht savings confuses things though. I think adding the time in London and Sydney would help a lot. Possibly Paris too though the Europeans can get it from London (or vice versa). Singapore might be good too if the site gets lots of Asian vistors.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The reason I stopped doing it at one point is I always got it wrong. :)

Damn daylight savings! That and web site character encoding.

arn

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
The reason I stopped doing it at one point is I always got it wrong. :)

Damn daylight savings! That and web site character encoding.

arn

I find the countdown very helpful when figuring out the time...
An automated script to display the times probably isn't that hard to find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.