PDA

View Full Version : not able to get online with Imac G5

sister5
Sep 9, 2008, 07:31 AM
Recently Bought Imac G5 from a school auction. kinda hard to explain problem but here goes, I run diagnostic and get it all green try to get online when it says im connected no go. tried to update, no good either just says internet timed out (-1001) error. mind you the green lights on all of the stuff when i run diagnostic but then try to acctually get online craps out
cant even finish loading a page or like with the update just gives error and times out. We are running clear wire threw a linksys vonage router. the system is freshley reformated so nothing but a few software programs installed final cut after effect ECT. please help ive done what i can, not that its alot since im not super great on macs but from what the mac is telling me and what its doing i dont get it.

Thx for any help you can give ^^

carlosbutler
Sep 10, 2008, 01:47 PM
have you tired the internet with the same cable with another computer?

if it still works then try connecting to the router wirelessly and then through the ethernet cable, see what happens.

if you have another computer, once the mac is connected directly though ethernet go on the other computer and log in to your router. normally you type in the ip address of the router on the address bar in your web browser, such as 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or somthing like that(look on the bottom of the router if you dont know)

then connect the computer to your router and if you have another computer, such as a windows PC do:

Start --> run --> (in the box type in) cmd --> net view --> you should get somthing showing the computers connected, im not sure if macs will show up. but they might

if not then find out the ip address of the mac when connected to the router and then in the same black box in windows type in: ping 192.168.x.x (the x's replaced by your ip address of the mac)

hughvane
Sep 10, 2008, 02:48 PM
System Preferences > Network > Built-in Ethernet ... is the little light green showing?
System Preferences > Network > Show > Built-in Ethernet

Can you provide a screenshot? Then we can see what your Network settings are and perhaps help you further from there.
Screenshot: Command-Shift (hold) - 4 You'll get a crosshairs symbol with which you can mouse drag to capture (lasso) a picture of your network settings.

sister5
Sep 12, 2008, 06:37 AM
We had to bypass the Vonage router and plug in directly to the internet modem. Of course there is only one plug in on the modem, so now we are stuck with no landline or internet connection to the other 2 computers in the house. Is there a device that can give you more connections to a modem? We have Clearwire. It's not as fast as cable, but we wanted to get away from the local cable company and their sky high "packages" and fees. Any ideas? Thank you again for the great feedback.

Suzan