PDA

View Full Version : 4th Generation iPod Nano: Accelerometer, Genius, Colors, Taller

MacRumors
Sep 9, 2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/09/09/140936-apple-lets-rock-056_400.jpg

Image from Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/09/live-from-apples-lets-rock-event-in-san-francisco/)
Apple announced the new iPod nanos today at their media event. The nano matches up with the circulating rumors of a taller colorful design.

- Thinnest iPod ever
- Enhanced user interface
- Accelerometer to detect tilt
- Shake iPod to shuffle
- Genius playlist built in
- Aluminum with curved glass
- Battery: 24 hours for music. 4 hours for video.
- $149 for 8GB. $199 for 16GB.
- 9 Colors: silver, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red, pink, black

The 8GB should be available today, while the 16GB should be available by next week. Apple also announced that the iPod classic would now only come in a 120GB model, replacing the 160GB and 80GB models that are currently available.

The new iPod nanos should appear at http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/09/4th-generation-ipod-nano-accelerometer-genius-colors-taller/)

theheadguy
Sep 9, 2008, 01:16 PM
Woot (:

Larger sizes would have been nice. But, these still look wicked anyway.

My friend went to get his iPhone replaced at the Apple Store in Sacramento, CA today and he said there are currently 80+ people in line. No word if they have the actual products or not.

Update: No, they do not have any of the new iPods yet. I ordered one from the Apple store online but the fastest shipping was 2-3 days. This usually indicates they are not ready to ship from the U.S.

anotherarunan
Sep 9, 2008, 01:17 PM
Wooo i get my 16gb nano :D

eme jota ce
So, is the Nike+ update coming to iPHone with the 2.1 software update?

EMT123
I dig um

ThinkBrilliant
Looks like the community was right. Rumors held true, not too many surprises. But a good event none-the-less.

mogzieee
I like it. Love the Accelerometer. I like the Orange version.

God It's hard to find something I don't like about it....

BoyBach
Sep 9, 2008, 01:18 PM
£109 for a 8GB nano. How am I going to resist that? :eek:

VaatiKaiba
I'm considering getting one of these now... I was going to get a Touch, but now I'm not so sure...

JDizzle530
What a flop! I, like everyone else, was so excited for this event. I spent the last hour watching updates on Gizmodo and Engadget, and for what? To hear exactly what I already knew was going to happen? This is definitely the most disappointed I have ever been as an Apple supporter. For someone with over 32 gb of music and without AT&T (can't get an iPhone), this event means absolutely nothing to me. The Zune seems awfully tempting right now.

vendettabass
the silver nano is hot! I hope the new MacBooks follow with this aluminium/black style!

Rojo
I have an iPhone already, so I don't need another iPod. But oooohhhh, do I want one of these! Especially the orange!

CmdrLaForge
I love them. I think it is a great update. Of course it is less fun watching the event if really everthing is known before.

MacTheSpoon
Sep 9, 2008, 01:19 PM
Those new nanos look great. I want one!

iphonesarecool
Looks really good

dueweke1697
there IS a black ipod nano! check the apple store!

Str8edgepunker
I like them a lot better than the previous nano version but I'm dissapointed that they're dropping the 160gb iPod Classic for 120gb. Oh well.

Chappers
No store update yet. Still showing old nanos

tyr2
I'm pleased to see a return of the taller style of the 1st and 2nd generation Nano's, can't say I ever liked the 'fat nano' very much.

The new colours look great as well.

bushido
Sep 9, 2008, 01:20 PM
which one should i get??? i'm torn between yellow, orange, green or blue lol i'm desperate

mr.steevo
Sep 9, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hi,

How is the Touch different from the previous Touch? Aside from the volume control.

s.

nagromme
I don't need a Nano but this is the first lineup of colors I actually like!

Bring on the tilt-sensitive games :) Since clickwheel games seem to still be coming out regularly.

dueweke1697
Click "Buy Now" in the store and see the new ipod nanos!

Small White Car
What a flop! I, like everyone else, was so excited for this event. I spent the last hour watching updates on Gizmodo and Engadget, and for what? To hear exactly what I already knew was going to happen? This is definitely the most disappointed I have ever been as an Apple supporter. For someone with over 32 gb of music and without AT&T (can't get an iPhone), this event means absolutely nothing to me. The Zune seems awfully tempting right now.

:rolleyes: So...you spent all week on an Apple rumors site and now you're upset that you knew rumors?

Hopstretch
Wait, the headphone jack is now on the bottom! WTF?

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1459/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/nano/img/gallery-big-02.jpg

iOrlando
Sep 9, 2008, 01:22 PM
Thoughts:

YES....NBC....but will there be HEROS??? Didnt see that specific show mentioned.

iPods...nothing too exciting...Glad i got ipod touch with macbook/ipod promotional

Suprised price points werent lower...not too much of a price drop for anything...

Similar press conference for Macbook line: Oct 21

dueweke1697
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_nano

check it out!!

Small White Car
Hi,

How is the Touch different from the previous Touch? Aside from the volume control.

s.

Speaker!

This is huge. This is a dealbreaker for many, and will probably mean an iPod Touch for my wife whereas before she had no interest in one.

guzhogi
Sep 9, 2008, 01:23 PM
They said that the Nike+is built-in to the new iPod Touches. Anyone know if it's a hardware or a software thing? I have 2G iPhone and would like to use it, but don't want to pay for a new iPod Touch.

Moonlight
Sep 9, 2008, 01:23 PM
I have seen these up close, and I have to say they look great !!!!

JG271
Sep 9, 2008, 01:24 PM
I don't know why everyone complains so much about these events.
Apple are a company, not a source of entertainment:mad:

Ah well, The iPods look great, as well as the new features.
24Hrs delivery for the 8GB too!

Konstanty
Hi,

s.

Not much at all, really. There's a nominal built-in speaker, and that's about it. Pretty much a non-event for those of us hoping for something interesting to happen in Touchland.

mocciat
Hi,

s.

Aluminum case, nike plus software built in, thiner design, curved casing. plus the 2.1 software which includes "genius"

IJ Reilly
I always get a laugh out of people who are hugely disappointed when rumors turn out to be accurate.

HLdan

Good, buy the Zune and bounce from here. :p

FSUSem1noles
Sep 9, 2008, 01:25 PM
I just picked up the Product (Red) one for my Fiance..

I'm finding it hard to resist picking one up for me as well..

I'm loving the new style..

mr.steevo
Speaker!

This is huge. This is a dealbreaker for many, and will probably mean an iPod Touch for my wife whereas before she had no interest in one.

Right.

The lack of speaker on the Touch was annoying for YouTube content if you wanted to share it with anyone.

I'll be excited when Turn by Turn GPS comes out.

s.

elppa
Apple's obviously only put a speaker on iPod touch to make it better for games.

anotherarunan
correct me if im wrong cos im not 100% but have uk prices GONE UP? WTF

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_nano?mco=MTIwMDQ

didnt the 4gb cost 99...so shudnt the 8gb cost 99 not 109?

16gb nano for £149? like $300?!

gugy
I like it,
I just wish they dropped the price $50 on each model.

ziggyonice

Just like the 2nd gen Nano.

fabsgwu
Sep 9, 2008, 01:26 PM
Hi,

s.

New iPod Touch
-Rounded/tapered back (still metal)
-Nike+ built-in
-Speaker built-in
-$80-$100 cheaper across the board

The other features all Touch/iPhones get with the 2.1 update (i.e. Genius Playlist)

xwing1971
Why are they dropping capacity on the classic? I was hoping for a modest increase to 180gb or 200gb. Pressure from record companies? Hmmm.

Cyburnclassic
UK prices:

8GB iPod Nano - £109
16GB iPod Nano - £149
120GB iPod Classic - £179
8GB - iPod Touch - £169
16GB - iPod Touch - £219
32GB - iPod Touch - £279

iOrlando
College rebate is now 209 not 299..... lousy

dashiel
the beginning of the end for the ipod classic. flash memory is approaching the realistic limits of most people's libraries. once itunes supports HD-AAC and the nano supports 32MB+ the ipod classic will be EOL'd. next year possibly, but for sure by 2011. the convergence will be perfect with 64GB nanos and the tenth year since the first ipod.

xiaobao68
This event is a joke. Who cares about nike+ in a huge iTouch? What new features? Where is GPS? Camera? What a WASTE OF TIME. I hope their stock get hit hard.

FSUSem1noles
Thoughts:

YES....NBC....but will there be HEROS??? Didnt see that specific show mentioned.

iPods...nothing too exciting...Glad i got ipod touch with macbook/ipod promotional

Suprised price points werent lower...not too much of a price drop for anything...

Similar press conference for Macbook line: Oct 21

Yes, Gizmodo mentioned Heroes, as well as a plethora of other NBC shows. I'm guessing 99% of NBCs lineup?

Willis
that shake to shuffle is a really neat idea..

I'm looking forward to trying out iTunes 8 features

mandoman
Sep 9, 2008, 01:27 PM
Boo to capacity drop on classic! :(

Small White Car
Sep 9, 2008, 01:28 PM
Apple's obviously only put a speaker on iPod touch to make it better for games.

Which is perfect. My wife only borrows my iPhone to play games. Youtube? GPS? Safari?

They're a big :rolleyes: whatever in her book, which is why she doesn't have an iPhone herself. Overkill for her needs.

But she is a game junkie, which is why an iPod Touch with a speaker will be a big winner in her eyes.

Hopstretch
that shake to shuffle is a really neat idea.
Could be annoying for joggers. :D

zeppiecr
Wow I thought this was going to be "Really Big"....these announcements are so overhyped its nuts

BoyBach

That has always been the case with the iPod nano.

Hawkeye411
Sep 9, 2008, 01:29 PM
Why would anyone buy one of these when the new Touch is only $70 more and it is 100 times better?? :eek:

Do yourself a favor and save a few more bucks and get the touch. The Apps are killer and many of them are free. You can do email, surf the web. It's like a mini laptop for only $70 more.

The choice seems obvious to me. The Nano is extremely outdated. The addition of an accelerometer is very little. I think the shuffle still have a purpose (small, great for the gym) but the nano doesn't cut it.

My 2 cents!! :D

EricNau
Why are they dropping capacity on the classic? I was hoping for a modest increase to 180gb or 200gb. Pressure from record companies? Hmmm.
I doubt it. Just streamlining the lineup.

This event is a joke. Who cares about nike+ in a huge iTouch? What new features? Where is GPS? Camera? What a WASTE OF TIME. I hope their stock get hit hard.
Neither a GPS or Camera were expected in the iPod touch. You might not care about the features that were announced, but I assure you, there are many who are.

JG271
Wow I thought this was going to be "Really Big"....these announcements are so overhyped its nuts

Yep, don't believe the hype!

The new nanos seem to fit very well with the iMac and macbook air designs.

theBB
Sep 9, 2008, 01:30 PM
I am curious about the voice recording function. Are nanos gonna come with the headphones that have the microphone built-in or is that only part of that $79 headphones they will start selling in October?

sharkinfested
Sep 9, 2008, 01:30 PM
Could someone explain to me what the "Big Deal" was? I mean, a little update on iPods was expected - didn't need MacRumors to figure that out - so what WAS the "Big Deal" anyway?

fabsgwu
Sep 9, 2008, 01:31 PM

Shake/shuffle probably optional in settings...

masse
what are the old battery life numbers for the ipod touch?

I don't understand why they continue to use polished stainless steel for the back of these.

wizard
People said Apple wouldn't go backwards in capacity on Classic. Well here we are and they went backwards. Not that I think this is ideal mind you but it does make me wonder why they choose 120GB. I'm wondering if the failure rate was to high on the large Classic.

As to the Nano's pricing and capacity is real close to what I predicted.

As to what is inside that is the more interesting question and I hope somebody with more money than they know what to do with can tear one of each of these apart to see what is inside. What I specifically want to know is what makes up the components list on each of these and do they contain PA Semi chips? Notably the battery life on the Nanos doesn't seem to bad considering it is actually smaller.

Frankly I'm mixed on this debut. The Nano's are right where I thought they would be but in looks like the Touch is suffering a lot of neglect. Hopefully there will be indications that more was done internally than we currently see. Also maybe they are saving a 64 GB machine for the after Thanksgiving Christmas rush. I can't believe they would ignore capacity demands for any longer than they would have to. ITunes 8 actually sounds good but more so the extended content from NBC, ideally Apple would become a universal distributor of all network content.

This desire for universal distribution only comes about because of the packaging demands of the cable operators. Frankly I don't need access to 100's of channels in an expensive base package. It is far better to simply download the few shows I do watch ala cart. If nothing else it is a lot cheaper and reruns are at my discretion.

Dave

bart4u
Sep 9, 2008, 01:32 PM
When are they going to update the 30 inch cinema display. I really don't care about Ipod's or Nano's. Just interested in Mac Pro hardware.

zeppiecr
Sep 9, 2008, 01:32 PM
I am curious about the voice recording function. Are nanos gonna come with the headphones that have the microphone built-in or is that only part of that $79 headphones they will start selling in October?

Also if you look at the in ear headphone product page it doesn't say that its compatible with the iphone? wtf?

bushido
Sep 9, 2008, 01:33 PM
does the iPod Nano have Nike+ built-in too??? it would make sense cuz i dont want to carry my iPhone around jogging

bushido
Sep 9, 2008, 01:34 PM
I don't understand why they continue to use polished stainless steel for the back of these.

to separate it from the iPhone in public is my guess

sharkinfested
Sep 9, 2008, 01:35 PM
Could someone explain to me what the "Big Deal" was? I mean, a little update on iPods was expected - didn't need MacRumors to figure that out - so what WAS the "Big Deal" anyway?

Oh wait - I get it! We were just SAYING it wrong! It wasn't meant to be a BIG DEAL - it was more like "We're updating our iPods... (yawn) big friggin deal."

Small White Car
Sep 9, 2008, 01:35 PM
Why would anyone buy one of these when the new Touch is only $70 more and it is 100 times better?? :eek:

The Nano is for kids saving up allowance (where $70 DOES make a difference) and people at the gym (who don't want a touchscreen or a larger device).

This is still a large market, but yes, that's about it. The iPod Classic and Touch will stick around as side items in Apple's empire, but that's it. The iPod Touch IS the iPod now, no doubt about it.

indigo144
Sep 9, 2008, 01:36 PM
From an industry-leadership perspective, last year's model with today's memory prices would have been so much better.

Apple's primary goal is not to lead in innovation but rather milk profits. Spiritually, the obituary may have been timely.

(No offense Steve - you deserve a rest, but ...)

Small White Car
Sep 9, 2008, 01:37 PM
I'm wondering if the failure rate was to high on the large Classic.

Or, more likely, they just weren't selling.

The percentage of people with libraries over 120 GB = Pretty small.

Yes, they exist, but I bet the 160 was always a poor seller. Low sales = Gone!

Loge
Sep 9, 2008, 01:39 PM
So glad I got myself a 160GB classic a few weeks ago :D

FSUSem1noles
Sep 9, 2008, 01:41 PM
I'm digging the new headphones, but as an iPhone user, other than listening to Audio they new headphones are pretty much obsolete for the iPhone..

Does the new iTouch have voice recording capabilities as well as the new nano?

SannaH
Sep 9, 2008, 01:43 PM
Hey,
I'm glad IPod Touch has speakers now! Its a bother to share earphones with your friends! There aren't any other big time changes, right?

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions:
1. What is the policy for buying stuff off the online Apple store for non-Americans?? Does that require paypal or something?
2. Are there any chances of 64 GB Touch to be introduced anytime soon? (Not that I can wait anymore, I'm buying 32 GB right now! I was just curious)
3. What is this nike+ thing btw?

Can anyone tell me about the new updates on IPod Touch? It looks like everyone around is obsessed with Nano :p

wizard
Sep 9, 2008, 01:45 PM

While I agree the Touch is pretty nifty to put is simply some people don't share that view or simply don't need those features. It is the same reason some people value Touch over the iPhone and form Apples perspective it is about marketing the right product to the right consumer.

Do yourself a favor and save a few more bucks and get the touch. The Apps are killer and many of them are free. You can do email, surf the web. It's like a mini laptop for only $70 more.

Yes I understand and frankly make use of many of those features. But again not everybody goes that route. Besides the extreme thinest of the new Nano could be very appealing to many. It would cut down on pocket bulges for one.

The choice seems obvious to me. The Nano is extremely outdated. The addition of an accelerometer is very little. I think the shuffle still have a purpose (small, great for the gym) but the nano doesn't cut it.

That is all well and good for you but I think this new Nano could end up being a big hit this Christmas season! Really! It has a feature set that is bound to appeal to active people. No it is not an iPone or Touch but that is the whole point it is a simple MP3 player with a few additional features.

Dave

bushido
Sep 9, 2008, 01:46 PM
i dont get why the ipod touch has a better battery life then the nano

jbstew32
Sep 9, 2008, 01:47 PM
shake gently to shuffle; drop on the floor to void your warranty :)

tallyho
Sep 9, 2008, 01:48 PM
Hurray, the new nano is "taller". Great new feature :rolleyes:
My 3G Nano looks better designed as far as I'm concerned, and I'm still not convinced by turning the new one sideways for video when the click wheel is then also sideways...

(Mind you, since getting my iPhone I can't say I've used the Nano much :o)

BrownManUPS
Sep 9, 2008, 01:48 PM
Pretty odd they didn't decide to put an accelerometer in the iPod classic as well...this will make playing games on iPods interesting.

I love the color selection. Definitely a great move for marketing purposes. Overall they only improved the device, and didn't "break" it.

epictempo
Sep 9, 2008, 01:49 PM
The Nano is for kids saving up allowance (where $70 DOES make a difference) and people at the gym (who don't want a touchscreen or a larger device).

This is still a large market, but yes, that's about it. The iPod Classic and Touch will stick around as side items in Apple's empire, but that's it. The iPod Touch IS the iPod now, no doubt about it.

The nano is not just for kids or the gym (it serves that purpose well though). I'm completely anti-chrome backing on the pods, its great displayed at a museum, not so much as a use daily device. The all aluminum is extremely durable (great for my resale value) and 16gb at $200 is better than 8gb at $230. I don't need wifi, I have my phone for that; I don't need videos, I have my iMac/TV for that (much better quality and no hassle of DL/Removing data)...and gaming on the touch? Yeah right...

I can't justify the price of the Touch to its capacity yet. I have 15 gigs of music and Its very convenient to have it all at all times.

saxman
Nano looks nice. Must resist... iPod 3G still works.... don't really need it

padmasana
I was hoping for an orange nano two years ago when they brought out the orange shuffle.
Well, here it comes. And 16gb for $200 is great.

As much as I'm looking forward to the orange one, the silver Nano with the black clickwheel is the darling of the bunch. The purple one looks great, too.

I also hope the accelerometer feature is something you can disable, especially for running and biking.

NiroNavro
Sep 9, 2008, 01:50 PM
i think that this just proves how easily they would be able to make Macbooks with a large array of colors. Imagine the marketing for that! They would sell like hotcakes. I could see them marketing those right with the new iPod nano line.

saxman
Sep 9, 2008, 01:51 PM
They dropped the 160 classic? That's too bad, I've got about 130GB of music and was looking to buy one in the next year or so. Guess I may have to buy sooner if some are still in stock

Breegy
Sep 9, 2008, 01:51 PM
I'm considering getting one of these now... I was going to get a Touch, but now I'm not so sure...

Me too. Let me know what you decide ;)

nick9191
Sep 9, 2008, 01:52 PM
i dont get why the ipod touch has a better battery life then the nano
Because its much larger, allowing to accommodate a larger battery.

Jesstastic
Sep 9, 2008, 01:52 PM

agree'd. it seems like they totally ignore the people who have large amounts of music. why can't they give the classic SOMETHING that the nano or touch has!?! I dont care if it's as thick as a brick, give it to me!

NiroNavro
Sep 9, 2008, 01:53 PM
They dropped the 160 classic? That's too bad, I've got about 130GB of music and was looking to buy one in the next year or so. Guess I may have to buy sooner if some are still in stock

Just get a refurbished one from Apple. You'll save a lot of money. It's only $280...I think.

Breegy
Sep 9, 2008, 01:54 PM
Because its much larger, allowing to accommodate a larger battery.

Still... 24 hours. :rolleyes: Amazing.

Another thing I like about the colors is they aren't the same pastel... They're so vibrant. I love it.

mr.steevo
Sep 9, 2008, 01:54 PM
So glad I got myself a 160GB classic a few weeks ago :D

Why?

You can buy them now in the refurb section for less.

s.

creator2456
Sep 9, 2008, 01:55 PM
I also hope the accelerometer feature is something you can disable, especially for running and biking.

I was just thinking that. If it isn't, Apple has made a very large mistake and I am sure an update will be right around the corner.

joepunk
Sep 9, 2008, 01:56 PM
Should I have waited before buying a 2nd Gen Black Nano. Nope, don't think so. I am quite happy with it.

But these new ones look very nice and love the wonderful bright colours. Wonder if the new nano and touch will be included as part of the student deal that ends on the 15th.

Breegy
Sep 9, 2008, 01:57 PM
I was just thinking that. If it isn't, Apple has made a very large mistake and I am sure an update will be right around the corner.

From what I understand, to "shuffle" you shake it side to side. The nano gets shaken up and down when running, not side to side, unless you are a crab... ;)

Again, this is speculation on my part. I really have no real experience or no sources to give you.

slu
Sep 9, 2008, 01:57 PM
I am glad I have been enjoying my 160 GB classic since it was released. I will still be able to fit my entire collection in my pocket for quite some time! Hell, maybe I'll get a refurb as a back up. There is no way I could go to less space now.

calisurfboy
Sep 9, 2008, 01:58 PM
I clicked on the ipod touch on the apple store and it shows in big bold letters it comes with millions of songs, thousands of movies, and hundreds of games. RIGHT ON!!! Steve was right! this WAS a big deal since they are doing all that for us! YES!

aafuss1
Sep 9, 2008, 01:59 PM
New smaller usb power adaptor too-as a optional accessory.

Aranince
Sep 9, 2008, 02:01 PM
Pictures at Arse... (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/09/09/nano-chromatic-photos-of-the-new-4th-gen-ipod-nanos?utm_source=microblogging&utm_medium=pingfm&utm_term=main_ars_account&utm_campaign=microblogging)

cleanup
Sep 9, 2008, 02:03 PM
that shake to shuffle is a really neat idea..

It's been done before, particularly on Sony players and phones.

And now I'm debating between a new 16 GB nano or a refurb previous gen. 8 GB touch. I'd prefer the larger capacity, and if I got the touch I'd keep my old nano (I like the small form factor), but even if I got the 16 GB nano, I doubt I'd be able to sell my old one for much. It's "used" condition is very evident, and it's now two generations old!

Touch it is, then?

Breegy
Sep 9, 2008, 02:03 PM
Pictures at Arse... (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/09/09/nano-chromatic-photos-of-the-new-4th-gen-ipod-nanos?utm_source=microblogging&utm_medium=pingfm&utm_term=main_ars_account&utm_campaign=microblogging)

C'mon, I wanna see the yellow and purple... :(

timerollson
Sep 9, 2008, 02:04 PM
So why exactly did Apple drop the larger capacity iPod Classic? Dumb move, imo. Unless they plan on releasing an iPod Touch and/or Nano with a 160gb capacity in the near future, I don't understand this move. Plenty of people have music libraries larger than 120gb. Is this just leaving room for them to jump ship to another company? I'm confused, Apple.:confused:

Mac21ND
Sep 9, 2008, 02:04 PM

No demand, no ability for new features. The iPhone, Nano, and iPod Touch sell more. It's the only one with a traditional hard drive, so no accelerometer will work well which means no new UI. The classic form of the iPod is slowly going away as it's abilities change.

Breegy
Sep 9, 2008, 02:05 PM
It's been done before, particularly on Sony players and phones.

And now I'm debating between a new 16 GB nano or a refurb previous gen. 8 GB touch. I'd prefer the larger capacity, and if I got the touch I'd keep my old nano (I like the small form factor), but even if I got the 16 GB nano, I doubt I'd be able to sell my old one for much. It's "used" condition is very evident, and it's now two generations old!

Touch it is, then?

I honestly don't know what to tell you. Touch has more features if you want games and apps.

If you just want music and want it in a spiffy, slim format. Like you say, the small form, then go for the touch.

johnmcboston
Sep 9, 2008, 02:05 PM
I am glad I have been enjoying my 160 GB classic since it was released. I will still be able to fit my entire collection in my pocket for quite some time! ... There is no way I could go to less space now.

Agree. It's so nice to NOT have to decide what to take with you - just take it all. It sits on my desk, or with me on a train/plane/car, so it's OK if it's not as portable as a shuffle. Maybe the next classic will have a larger HD.

FSUSem1noles
Sep 9, 2008, 02:10 PM

Not everyone wants a touch.. I was willing to get my Fiance a Touch or iPhone and she insisted it's far to bulky for her to use at the gym or on the treadmill, so to some people the nano is all that they need..

iMacmatician
Sep 9, 2008, 02:12 PM
nano-chromaticSo 9 to 5 mac was right in a way. :D

Why are they dropping capacity on the classic? I was hoping for a modest increase to 180gb or 200gb. Pressure from record companies? Hmmm.There aren't any bigger HDs than 160 GB right now.

aafuss1
Sep 9, 2008, 02:16 PM
Shake to shuffle:sounds a lot like my Sony nw-s203 which has asimilar feature:but on that shake 3 times, instead of 1 on the nano.

zim
Sep 9, 2008, 02:17 PM
Is this the end of the road for the iPod Classic?

I still feel that even with all the possibilities of the touch and with the new features of the Nano that the Classic is the best iPod.

GobBluth
Sep 9, 2008, 02:17 PM
So the new 16gb nano is $199, and is the same price as a refurbished 80gb classic. What's the best option?

Topher15
Sep 9, 2008, 02:20 PM
So I'm torn between the 16GB Nano and the 16GB Touch.

I like the idea of the Internet/Email/Apps all the time, and I do have a Nano if I just want music, so the Touch sounds quite appealing....

unlokia
Sep 9, 2008, 02:20 PM
Find a video of the NEW Nano, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=golPSKdg1AQ

and the new iPod Touch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIgZGbqe8qY

Roessnakhan
Sep 9, 2008, 02:21 PM
Pretty odd they didn't decide to put an accelerometer in the iPod classic as well...this will make playing games on iPods interesting.

I love the color selection. Definitely a great move for marketing purposes. Overall they only improved the device, and didn't "break" it.

Yes, because shaking a hard drive is a good thing.

Kebabselector
Sep 9, 2008, 02:22 PM
£109 for a 8GB nano. How am I going to resist that? :eek:

£149 for a 16GB, think I'll be selling the old wide boy nano soon!

Consultant
Sep 9, 2008, 02:28 PM

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1459/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/nano/img/gallery-big-02.jpg

Don't know about you, but when I put ipod in the pocket, the top goes in first, thus the headphone placement is logical.

Consultant
Sep 9, 2008, 02:32 PM
College rebate is now 209 not 299..... lousy

You know what the rebate is for? It is for a
free iPod touch. Before the event,
iPod touch was $299. Now iPod touch is $229.
Still free with rebate, still 100% of price

You don't like price reductions?

Why would you care? You are located in France and I don't think they have a program over there.

duncyboy
Sep 9, 2008, 02:33 PM
I've been holding on for a Touch for a while now. Came home, read the news... and now I want a Nano. What the hell? Where did that come from? :p

I think I wanted the Touch for the wow factor and nothing else. I think I'll wait to read a couple of Nano reviews, see how small you can get movie files ripped for it and then see. It's three weeks to payday so I've a ton of time to deliberate.

And also, everyone seems to be going nuts for the orange Nano- is orange Apple's new white? :D

abhimat.gautam
Sep 9, 2008, 02:35 PM
I just noticed that the rear view of the red iPod in the commercial does not include the (PRODUCT) RED logo. Any specific reasons?

Bregalad
Sep 9, 2008, 02:37 PM
the beginning of the end for the ipod classic. flash memory is approaching the realistic limits of most people's libraries. once itunes supports HD-AAC and the nano supports 32MB+ the ipod classic will be EOL'd. next year possibly, but for sure by 2011. the convergence will be perfect with 64GB nanos and the tenth year since the first ipod.

From what I've read HD-AAC will store lossless content on the computer, but allow easy export or streaming of lower bit rate versions.

That would be great for me because I'm currently planning to build a media server so I can replace shelves full of CDs with a Mac mini connected to my home theatre. If I'm going to go to the effort of ripping hundreds of CDs I won't settle for reduced quality so all the songs will be in Apple Lossless format. Unfortunately that's going to require massive amounts of storage, something iPods don't have, so I'll also have to build a second iTunes library with lower bit rate versions of the same material. Right now it's going to be a pain in the ass to keep the two libraries in sync. Hopefully something like HD-AAC comes along soon.

Eric S.
Sep 9, 2008, 02:40 PM
I guess I'm one of the few who think the new design is u-g-l-y, like pretty much all of Apple's recent designs. I don't see how this can even be called a "nano"; I regret that there's no longer a small music-only iPod for times when you don't care about video, games, etc. (Yeah, there's the Shuffle, but the lack of any screen is a very big limitation.)

rob25255
Sep 9, 2008, 02:41 PM
If you look at this page at the bottom of the complete specs it only shows that the ipod touch gets the nike+ support. sorry if this has already been pointed out. havent read the last few threads

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_nano?mco=MTI4MDE

Eduardo1971
Sep 9, 2008, 02:42 PM
I like them a lot better than the previous nano version but I'm dissapointed that they're dropping the 160gb iPod Classic for 120gb. Oh well.

As some one with a *huge* music collection-I'm also left scratching my head as to why Apple choice 120 GB instead of just keeping the higher capacity one.:mad:

johnmcboston
Sep 9, 2008, 02:42 PM
So the new 16gb nano is $199, and is the same price as a refurbished 80gb classic. What's the best option?

Depends. Will you jog or ride with it that would make an HD based device unhappy? Do you want to carry most (all?) of your songs, or would you be happy with just a few playlists?

johnmcboston
Sep 9, 2008, 02:44 PM

Spoken by someone with a small itunes library... I'll accept it's not a big seller, but can you think of something better to have at your desk will ALL your songs on it?

Anonymouslives
Sep 9, 2008, 02:46 PM
Is there anyone dumb enough out there, who would pay $200 for a 16GB nano with a 2" screen, when you can get a 120GB classic with 2.5" screen for $249?

GobBluth
Sep 9, 2008, 02:47 PM
Depends. Will you jog or ride with it that would make an HD based device unhappy? Do you want to carry most (all?) of your songs, or would you be happy with just a few playlists?

I'd want something I can use while exercising. How much josteling can a HD device take?

Roessnakhan
Sep 9, 2008, 02:51 PM
Is there anyone dumb enough out there, who would pay $200 for a 16GB nano with a 2" screen, when you can get a 120GB classic with 2.5" screen for $249?

Different products for different people. Someone who runs a lot would be stupid to get a hard drive player.

calisurfboy

I am and so are may other individuals. The ipod nano is smaller and is flash memory. I had an ipod with the 1st gen and the damn thing would skip all the time and was bulky. The ipod nanos are featherweights, dont skip, and fit everywhere.

rob25255
http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/run.html

johnmcboston
Sep 9, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'd want something I can use while exercising. How much josteling can a HD device take?

As little as possible. if it's for exercising, get your nano. no moving parts, lighter, and will survive better if it happens to take a dive.

2Shae
Sep 9, 2008, 02:56 PM
YEAAAHHHH!!!!

The new nano is freakin' badass!!! :D

The Genius and Shake/shuffle is really cool.

I'm getting the grean or new grey/black

nemaslov
Sep 9, 2008, 03:02 PM
The huge capacity people who want all their music with them are pissed. No Classic increase and I think this is the very first time Apple actually DECREASED capacity in a model. Since they will no longer make the 160GB, with no 240 in sight, it seems, then I might have to pick up a back up 160 now. Crap. Very disappointed!!!:mad::mad::mad::confused::confused::confused:

theBB
Sep 9, 2008, 03:03 PM
confirmation that only the touch has built in nike+ support..
http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/run.html
What part of "Grab your iPod nano or iPod touch, a pair of Nike+ shoes, and the Nike + iPod Sport Kit or Sensor." is confirmation that Nike+ is only for Touch? Reading comprehension is a lost art these days... :p

nemaslov
Sep 9, 2008, 03:10 PM
No demand, no ability for new features. The iPhone, Nano, and iPod Touch sell more. It's the only one with a traditional hard drive, so no accelerometer will work well which means no new UI. The classic form of the iPod is slowly going away as it's abilities change.

There is a demand as there are many who use the large classic at second homes, studios, offices and play them through real stereos and want or need capacity for larger collections. They don't walk or run with them always but take them on long trips. Many use the best possible transfers like lossless and require larger drives.

I cannot friggen believe they actually reduced the size. They should have at least just kept the 160 and scrapped the 80 and not released the 120. Most classic users are not that concerned with it being so thin. It size that matters here Bad move.

Ish
Sep 9, 2008, 03:10 PM
Great news for me! I was just looking at the refurb 2G Nanos last week, just over £90 for 8GB. Now I shall replace my 1G Nano. Poor thing only has a little bit of battery life left and you can't rewind it properly since I dropped it recently.

Rojo: I have an iPhone already, so I don't need another iPod. But oooohhhh, do I want one of these! Especially the orange!

I have an iPod Touch and will get an iPhone later, but I still find the Nano very useful. I spend about 45 minutes every morning using the Nano for language learning which means I'm constantly pausing, rewinding etc. With the Nano that's dead easy without even looking or having to think about it but a nightmare having to keep rewinding about 5 seconds on the iPod Touch/iPhone. You certainly can't do it without looking and that breaks your concentration. At least get a course and learn a few phrases before you go on holiday and you can justify having both!

tyr2: I'm pleased to see a return of the taller style of the 1st and 2nd generation Nano's, can't say I ever liked the 'fat nano' very much.

So am I, that's why I was going to get a refurb 2G Nano. I don't think you could hold the 3G Nano and operate it with one hand easily. Too fiddly and there wasn't enough to hold on to for that. I'm relieved!

Eric S.
Sep 9, 2008, 03:12 PM
The huge capacity people who want all their music with them are pissed. No Classic increase and I think this is the very first time Apple actually DECREASED capacity in a model. Since they will no longer make the 160GB, with no 240 in sight, it seems, then I might have to pick up a back up 160 now. Crap. Very disappointed!!!:mad::mad::mad::confused::confused::confused:

How do you listen to that much music? I have over 5400 songs spanning six decades, and my collection is barely 20GB. I could maybe see that doubling if I got all the music I ever wanted, but as it is I can barely listen to my entire collection over the span of a year. This is not a criticism, I just wonder what music you have that is so extensive.

DaveWonders
Sep 9, 2008, 03:13 PM
Do we have to worry about the new Nano not working with older accessories?

I use an iPod solely in my car that I have hooked up through a Blitzsafe cable. For those who don't know it uses the dock connector so it charges and gets the highest quality audio in one cable. If it won't play or charge I just might have to get a 1st gen Touch to mount in the car...But I'd be just dandy with a new Nano.

I ask because aren't there issues with the new iPhone?

JG271
Sep 9, 2008, 03:15 PM
How do you listen to that much music? I have over 5400 songs spanning six decades, and my collection is barely 20GB. I could maybe see that doubling if I got all the music I ever wanted, but as it is I can barely listen to my entire collection over the span of a year. This is not a criticism, I just wonder what music you have that is so extensive.

I'm guessing videos, but some people just torrent a lot of music and never really listen to it.

rob25255
Sep 9, 2008, 03:21 PM
What part of "Grab your iPod nano or iPod touch, a pair of Nike+ shoes, and the Nike + iPod Sport Kit or Sensor." is confirmation that Nike+ is only for Touch? Reading comprehension is a lost art these days... :p

Sorry if my use of articulating the english language wasnt clear. What I meant was that while the new nano supports nike+ its not built in to it and requires the receiver whereas the new ipod touch DOES have it built in.

"Ready
Grab your iPod nano or iPod touch, a pair of Nike+ shoes, and the Nike + iPod Sport Kit or Sensor. Put the sensor in your Nike+ shoe ó thereís a built-in pocket specifically designed for it under the insole. Then connect the receiver to your iPod nano. iPod touch includes built-in support for Nike+, so no receiver is necessary. The sensor tracks your run, then sends the data to your iPod.
Learn how it works"

Foxer
Sep 9, 2008, 03:26 PM

What bit rate do you burn at? My collection is about 10,000 songs, but it takes up over 100GB - mainly a mix of 192 AAC and Apple Lossless.

I was really hoping for a 320GB classic - which would let me go all lossless, and instead it gets dropped for 120GB. The new Nanos look nice, but are basically useless to me. Not a good day.

unlokia
Sep 9, 2008, 03:32 PM
You whining crybabies!. Who gives a @@@@ about hard disk based iPods?. Move on, and get over your spoiled selves. So what?... so nothing!. If you have that much music in your pocket, you have serious issues with being able to choose. Oh did you forget that - at home - you have this device called a "computer", from which you can copy music as and when you need it; duh!.

Marlor
Sep 9, 2008, 03:39 PM
Curved glass?

I'll have to see these in person, but surely that means that you will get glare from every possible direction.

It's not so much a problem for selecting songs, but it would be annoying to have a glare-plagued screen if you were trying to watch a video clip or play a game on the thing.

timerollson
Sep 9, 2008, 03:40 PM
You whining crybabies!. Who gives a @@@@ about hard disk based iPods?. Move on, and get over your spoiled selves. So what?... so nothing!. If you have that much music in your pocket, you have serious issues with being able to choose. Oh did you forget that - at home - you have this device called a "computer", from which you can copy music as and when you need it; duh!.

Actually, some people use their iPods as a backup (of a backup) of their music..Oh and did you forget that most laptops don't fit nicely into your back pocket....DUH!

compuguy1088
Sep 9, 2008, 03:46 PM
Boo to capacity drop on classic! :(

Sounds to me that the iPod classic is on its last legs with the reduction from two models to one size (120 gig).

zen.state
I really like it. Going to get a black 16GB for sure! Although the grey model with the black click wheel looks pretty sweet also. Decisions.. decisions.. :)

princealfie
What about if you encode everything in Apple Lossless? (audiophile like me) then you worry about storage space :p:p:p:p:p

Pikemann Urge
Sep 9, 2008, 03:47 PM
Boy was I wrong on this. Big time. Ouch.

Riiiiight. So you wish to exact vengeance on a company simply because they haven't added new features every time you snapped your fingers?

Maybe you should do like the other poster: get a Zune! After all if the cruise ship you're on isn't glamorous enough you can always jump into the water.

Eric S.
I'm guessing videos, but some people just torrent a lot of music and never really listen to it.

I think he specifically referred to music as his concern though, and didn't mention video.

What bit rate do you burn at? My collection is about 10,000 songs, but it takes up over 100GB - mainly a mix of 192 AAC and Apple Lossless.

All but about 300 of my 5400 songs are ripped from my CDs, so it's at whatever the default is that iTunes uses. (OK, I just checked; currently it's AAC/128Kbs)

They sound fine to me, but then I was raised on AM radio even before FM, so my standards might be somewhat low. :)

I was really hoping for a 320GB classic - which would let me go all lossless, and instead it gets dropped for 120GB. The new Nanos look nice, but are basically useless to me. Not a good day.

Sorry. I bought my 80GB Classic last fall with the expectation that unless I really got into downloading video it would be all I would ever need, and it still looks that way.

rydenfan
I cant decide between the all black and the silver with black click wheel, tough decision...

Marlor
Sep 9, 2008, 03:52 PM
What about if you encode everything in Apple Lossless? (audiophile like me) then you worry about storage space :p:p:p:p:p

Lossless is fine for archival purposes, but it's pointless for use on an iPod. Tests have shown that AAC is transparent at 192k, so just use that. Or if you want to go insane, you could use 256k. Either way, you can fit a lot of music into 16GB.

carve
Sep 9, 2008, 03:52 PM
I am very impressed! I will be getting either an orange or a blue 8 gig! Sick sick sick!

danny_w
Sep 9, 2008, 03:56 PM
Where are all of the people that were complaining about the curved glass and body on the nano? How can you set the new nano (and touch also) on a table without it rocking? And what about glare from the curved glass? Yes they look nice in photos, but I will ahve to see one in person before I decide.

jackc
Sep 9, 2008, 04:00 PM
Dammit, should I get the nano or the Touch? I can't decide.

Quillz
Sep 9, 2008, 04:05 PM
I think I liked the third generation iPod nano better.

Also, I find it dumb that Apple reduced the capacity of the iPod classic from 160 GB to 120 GB. Now, the classic is only equal to the Zune 3, not superior. I thought for sure Apple would have kept 160 GB as a major advantage over the Zune 3.

Stuipdboy1000
Sep 9, 2008, 04:18 PM
I may consider getting one of these when I go over to the US on holiday next month. I really like all of the colours. Not sure what one I would go for.

An I absolutely love the new nano ad.

nemaslov
Sep 9, 2008, 04:21 PM

OK here goes: I am 54 years old. I was in the music/record biz (remember that?) from when I was 18 to 33 and still collect today. LPs, CDs. I rarely download since I love the best quality when possible along with the design and packaging. I would even rather buy a used CD later on than download something from iTunes that almost does not exist (yeah I know).

Anyway I have a HD at home and so far I have loaded about 34,000 songs. Rock, jazz, classical, soul alternative, Bavarian Yodeling, whatever. I mean those Miles David Box Sets alone are maybe 60 CDs!! Jeez. I have a 160GB classic at my office which is full. I am self emplyed so I can play it loud some of the day. It plays all day through a stereo and I travel alot and most hotels have something I can play my pod through.

Yeah maybe each day I listen to a couple hundred songs, but the point is I have with me a HUGE library to choose from. If I am gone a week or two you never know upfront the mood you are going to be in. I have ever BEatles album, Dylan , REM Miles, John Coltrane, Bethoven, Philip Glass full catalogues, electronica, Country, Indian Sitar. Every Ry Cooder Album and all those soundtracks he made. I could go on and on.. My 17 son loves it and introduces me to new bands too.

There are many music freaks who don't care about watching anything on their pods. It's the music baby!

I have nothing from and past present or future American Idol winner or loser except Rocket Man and Hotel California by that bad Asian singer from the second or third seson...:D

I know photographers, artists, DJs etc who want a huge capacity on the go and not to commute or jog to.

Not for everyone but a big enough audience who can't fit it all on 120GB iPod!!

nemaslov
Sep 9, 2008, 04:27 PM

Boy you must think that Sarah Palin is ready to be President too!!

You don't have to buy a HD large capacity iPod and most of us don't have them in our pockets. We use them at a stationery location other than home. Studios, work spaces, hotels, long trips.

We simply want the have all of our music available to us at any time. Music moods change, especially if you are on the road for days or weeks and you can't get back to change playlists.

Some people eat meat some don't. Some drive some don't. Why would you want to limit choice? I am pro choice!!!

Real music freaks like me are not that unusual. It's not simply about the lastest hit song on the go!

Anonymouslives
Sep 9, 2008, 04:34 PM
Generally ladies, if you have a problem with an additional 3 ounces and less than 1" each way, while exercising, I'd say you have some serious problems.

Different products for different people. Someone who runs a lot would be stupid to get a hard drive player.

I am and so are may other individuals. The ipod nano is smaller and is flash memory. I had an ipod with the 1st gen and the damn thing would skip all the time and was bulky. The ipod nanos are featherweights, dont skip, and fit everywhere.

johnmcboston
Sep 9, 2008, 04:39 PM

Well. Are you sitting down? Hold on to your hat? Some people actually use their ipod to... get this... listen to music. Music of all things, can you imagine. :)

johnmcboston
Sep 9, 2008, 04:42 PM

19.5K songs at 99GB and still haven't ripped everything
613 or 30GB worth of podcasts
another 3GB photos/movies

And this doesn't even include TV shows, et al that people have.

MacTravelerBoi
Sep 9, 2008, 04:45 PM
I'm buying a 16 gb orange nano. Love it!

FreeState
Sep 9, 2008, 04:45 PM
Just dawned on me that the colors looked familiar... tribute to CA:) Maybe we should call this version the equality nano...

johnmcboston
Sep 9, 2008, 04:48 PM
You whining crybabies!. Who gives a @@@@ about hard disk based iPods?. Move on, and get over your spoiled selves. So what?... so nothing!. If you have that much music in your pocket, you have serious issues with being able to choose.

Actually I have better things to do with my time than to sit around and decide what to put on my ipod today... it's all just there. how much time do you spend trying to decide which songs or playlists to put on your ipod??

tjcampbell
Sep 9, 2008, 04:49 PM
So the new nano is the old nano plus a few features and a bigger screen? Lame. I prefer the "chubby" nano as it's actually small.

twoodcc
Sep 9, 2008, 04:59 PM
looking forward to trying these out in the apple store next week

jeremyrader
Sep 9, 2008, 05:00 PM
I think those with the 10,000+ library of songs will be pleasantly surprised by the usefulness of the "genius" feature in iTunes, allowing them to make smart playlists of songs that go well together, since they probably haven't taken the time to make any sort of playlists themselves and insist on carrying around about 8,000 more songs than they would listen to driving from California to Florida and back (yes, I did the math). You don't need an iPod, you need a Drobo.

The Classic still has a place, but that place is getting smaller. As WiFi and WiMax access becomes more prominent over the next few years, and particularly if cell phone w/data access becomes more realistically priced, the Touch and iPhone, coupled with file sharing apps already available, give you access to your hard drive or server back home. Mine's 1.5TB of mostly movies and TV shows that I can quickly download and watch from the convenience of most hotel rooms on my MBP. On a long trip, I think I could survive with a mere 16GB worth of music to choose from from one Starbucks to the next, synching a new cool playlist or three each stop.

I love that the Nano has gone back to the tall form factor. I picked up a 3G Nano not all that long ago to replace my dying 1G and use it daily for biking to work, running (Nike+), working out, and keeping the latest family photos (so much cooler than plastic-clad wallet versions, and easier on my right butt cheek). But Nike+ was the only thing that kept me from buying a Touch when I did. I won't be rushing out to buy one tomorrow, or even next month. But it's on my list now and the Nano is off, cool orange color and all.

Let's just clarify for Anonymouslives why those of us that actually exercise use flash based drives... again... it's not the friggin' size or weight. If you still don't get it, I'd be happy to stop by your place of residence or work and jog/jump in place with your computer (turned on) on my back for an hour or so and see how happy the hard drive is. My guess is that the computer will crash (permanently) long before I do.

The most disappointing thing about this event for me was pricing. Yes, it's fantastic that Apple can double the storage capacity and keep the price. But I bought into the idea/rumor that there would be a bigger pricing dip to further separate the iPods from the iPhone. I guess the $2k in "hidden fees" should be enough... but a $99 8GB Nano and $149 8GB Touch shouldn't have been that hard to do, right?. At least I get EPP and/or student discounts, which takes care of sales tax. Glad I'm not in the market right now, but it would have been a nice draw with the holidays coming up.

FWIW, a company's stock price is not generally tied to the opinions of a few disappointed rumor site fanatics' expectations for public announcements. In fact, a company's stock price has an odd trend of going up on expected announcements (good or bad) and then dropping when the announcement is made (good or bad) no matter who the company is. Long-term price is driven by a combination of company performance in the marketplace (market share, profit margin, growth), general impressions (ethics history, consumer satisfaction, ecological considerations) and dozens of other factors. If anything happens to Apple's stock today, it will have virtually zero reflection on this event's reception, even by those that actually own stock.

sdhar23
Sep 9, 2008, 05:28 PM

No the fatty nano's headphone jack was on the bottom too

Marlor
Sep 9, 2008, 05:53 PM
Just dawned on me that the colors looked familiar...

Well, yeah. If you want to offer a range of colours, then it makes perfect sense to offer it in all the colours of Newton's rainbow.

Perhaps they can call should have called this the "Roy. G. Biv" iPod.

thedragonden
Sep 9, 2008, 05:56 PM
Now we can make an old multicolor Apple logo out of iPod Nanos.(Or is it Nanii?)

I will wait until someone verifies the Shuffle/Shake feature has an OFF setting. (edit: Someone did. Thank you danny_w)
The first time I bounced down a flight of stairs and the song changed, that shiny new iPod would be eBay bound. (I guarantee you that I would shake a Nano harder on all three axes than the shuffle feature requires.)

Nike+ built into the Touch and not the Nano. DUH! The Nano has no RADIO built in. You have to attach the Nike module to receive the signal from the sensor!

As for the Classic/120 GB situation. The 160GB drives are becoming old tech.
Toshiba just announced 120GB(1 platter) and 240GB(2 platter) drives today. So the 80GB(1 platter) iPod got updated to the new higher capacity 1 platter drive and the 160GB(2 platter) iPod might be gone.
A 240GB iPod Classic could be arriving in the future. Apple introducing a 240GB iPod before Toshiba introduced the drive later that same day would have been a big No-No, even for Steve.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/toshiba-announces-18-inch-hdd-family/story.aspx?guid=%7BB3E5CCAC-F529-4966-B972-263D9754B666%7D&dist=hppr

http://gizmodo.com/5047611/toshibas-120gb-and-240gb-18+inch-drives-appear-just-after-ipod-announcement

What would you do with all that capacity? You'd get an iPod dock in your car to play VIDEO. Video systems in minivans could use iPods instead of carrying around all of those SpongeBob DVD's.

Eric S.
Sep 9, 2008, 06:12 PM
I think those with the 10,000+ library of songs will be pleasantly surprised by the usefulness of the "genius" feature in iTunes ...

I have given it a try now. The playlists it generated are ... interesting. Not exactly what I would have selected as matches for the songs I tried, but they did seem to have some cohesiveness to them. Of course, the matches are supposed to get better over time as more people opt in and everyone's data is accumulated. It will be interesting to see how things progress. (And allowing Apple to collect my personal information makes me uncomfortable, even though it is supposed to be quasi-anonymous.)

The "Genius Sidebar" appears to have limited utility though. A significant number of the suggested iTunes purchases are songs I already have, just under different album titles. I'm surprised it is not able to figure that out. And I don't buy enough songs from iTunes to make it generally worthwhile.

The Classic still has a place, but that place is getting smaller. As WiFi and WiMax access becomes more prominent over the next few years, and particularly if cell phone w/data access becomes more realistically priced, the Touch and iPhone, coupled with file sharing apps already available, give you access to your hard drive or server back home. ...

But that presumes that your hard drive or server is always on, or can be awakened remotely. I think that idea has a lot of merit but may not be practical until storage capacity in the "cloud" increases enough to allow the music database to reside there, maybe in some combination of individual and shared forms.

I love that the Nano has gone back to the tall form factor. ...

I don't; it's not a nano, it's a mini. I would rather see a true nano-sized music-only player offered, like the 2G nano. The Shuffle (I have one) suffices for short listening sessions but is too limited in capabilities.

milzay
Sep 9, 2008, 06:21 PM
Now, I'm pretty sure Apple will give the option to turn on the motion activated shuffle option, although even if they didn't surely it would just mean that the shuffle option activated/deactivated, meaning the song wouldn't just change.

Secondly, if you've used an iPod Touch (I own one), you do realise there are significant advantages to the touch wheel system. Like when Im on a crowded train and the touch is in my pocket, its annoying to have to take it out of my pocket, unlock it then forward the song. Again its the same with changing the volume and adding songs to on-the-go playlist. So if you purely want a music device I would actually recommend a nano over the iPod Touch.

Not to mention the clear difference in size.

________

ge3kd
Sep 9, 2008, 06:25 PM
I like 'em. Will probably get the blue one around Christmas.

danny_w
Sep 9, 2008, 06:34 PM
I will wait until someone verifies the Shuffle/Shake feature has an OFF setting.
The first time I bounced down a flight of stairs and the song changed, that shiny new iPod would be eBay bound. (I guarantee you that I would shake a Nano harder on all three axes than the shuffle feature requires.)

According to the 4th generation nano user's manual (available at Apple Support) it can be disabled:

Chapter 3 Listening to Music 39
To shuffle songs while a song is playing or paused:
m Shake iPod nano from side to side. A new song starts to play.
Shaking to shuffle doesnít change your shuffle settings, whether you set them by
choosing Settings > Shuffle or by using the shuffle slider.

To disable shaking:
m Choose Settings > Playback > Shake and select Off.
To turn shaking on again, choose Settings > Playback > Shake, and then select On.
Shaking is also disabled when the Hold switch is in the HOLD position, or if the display
is off. If iPod nano is off, you canít turn it on by shaking it.

PCMacUser
Sep 9, 2008, 06:49 PM
It looks a bit like my remote control.

But smaller.

Fast Shadow
Sep 9, 2008, 06:54 PM
This is massive win for Apple simply because they put DATAROCK on the orange one! I love Datarock.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1459/store.apple.com/Catalog/regional/amr/nano/img/nano-orange.jpg

johnmcboston
Sep 9, 2008, 07:06 PM
I don't; it's not a nano, it's a mini. I would rather see a true nano-sized music-only player offered, like the 2G nano. The Shuffle (I have one) suffices for short listening sessions but is too limited in capabilities.

wow - blast form the past. I remember my mini... My personal problem with the Fattie and previous nano is the 'unstable' click wheel. it jsut feels cheaper than the classic, and it either doesn't pick up your movements, or it's ultra sensitive. The new nano is nice, but seems built more for video than music.

DaveWonders
Sep 9, 2008, 07:14 PM
So I'm gonna answer my own question.

I posted before about wanting to know if the new Nano charged via USB or FireWire. I read on Gizmodo's hands on that it indeed does charge via USB.

I didn't follow this too closely when it was an issue with the new iPhone. Does this mean that my Blitzsafe will still transmit the audio through the dock connector but most likely won't charge it?

I might be able to live with that. If it indeed does have a 24 hour battery life that's about 2 weeks of commuting...and I have to sync it with the computer twice a week for podcasts.

majordude
Sep 9, 2008, 07:23 PM
Just dawned on me that the colors looked familiar... tribute to CA:) Maybe we should call this version the equality nano...

More like...

http://mnmedia.musicnation.com/Blog/2008/080124/pinkfloyd-album-dark_side_of_the_moon1.jpg

sionharris
Sep 9, 2008, 07:29 PM
Does anyone have the old iPod Classic prices? UK if possible.....

Oh and the new Nano is SEXY! Best looking Apple product for a while.

E.Lizardo
Sep 9, 2008, 07:35 PM

Oh yes!The record companies said 120gb is fine,but 160 is just TOO much!Then Apple caved to them like they always do.*sarcasm*
From what they said there is just one model now,the 160 was the slower seller(lots of stores don't carry the 160)so they split the difference.Do you have a FULL 160??

Clayne
Sep 9, 2008, 07:37 PM
Oh yes!The record companies said 120gb is fine,but 160 is just TOO much!Then Apple caved to them like they always do.*sarcasm*
From what they said there is just one model now,the 160 was the slower seller(lots of stores don't carry the 160)so they split the difference.Do you have a FULL 160??

they went with the highest capacity they could get with the same thin form factor they currently have.

E.Lizardo
Sep 9, 2008, 07:39 PM
Can we now put to rest the idea that if it is real Apple will sue/issue takedown orders?They have obviously stopped that after the Think Secret fiasco.
So please!No more:
"It must be fake 'cause Apple legal hasn't threatened them."

iReality85
Sep 9, 2008, 07:55 PM
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1459/store.apple.com/Catalog/regional/amr/nano/img/nano-orange.jpg

Is it just me, or should Apple have slapped a black click wheel on the orange Nano? I mean, that would be HOT.

Like, orange Lamborghini hot

http://photos.webridestv.com/datastore/images/user/2f28fe1a1f787779567ef0dad97c821b/LamborghiniMuricela220108121254_m.jpg

:D:D:D

EDIT: Ditto for the yellow Nano.

PhaserFuzz
Sep 9, 2008, 08:00 PM
I just ordered the 120GB Classic. Does anyone know if the HDD is faster in this than the previous generation? I hated how choppy and slow the UI was in the last gens. I'm really hoping they fixed that.

cpljwlusmc
Sep 9, 2008, 08:07 PM
Shake/shuffle probably optional in settings...

Or disabled by the hold switch.

danny_w
Sep 9, 2008, 08:13 PM
Or disabled by the hold switch.
From the manual:

To disable shaking:
Choose Settings > Playback > Shake and select Off.
To turn shaking on again, choose Settings > Playback > Shake, and then select On.
Shaking is also disabled when the Hold switch is in the HOLD position, or if the display
is off. If iPod nano is off, you canít turn it on by shaking it.

PCMacUser
Sep 9, 2008, 08:29 PM

Is it just me, or should Apple have slapped a black click wheel on the orange Nano? I mean, that would be HOT.

You've got my vote.

thejadedmonkey
Sep 9, 2008, 09:14 PM
You've got my vote.
(:

Quillz
Sep 9, 2008, 09:20 PM

Like, orange Lamborghini hot

http://photos.webridestv.com/datastore/images/user/2f28fe1a1f787779567ef0dad97c821b/LamborghiniMuricela220108121254_m.jpg

:D:D:D

EDIT: Ditto for the yellow Nano.I agree. Oh well, just wait for Colorware PC to start offering custom paint jobs on the new nano.

SactoGuy18
Sep 9, 2008, 09:41 PM
Having seen the new nano, frankly, I'm NOT impressed aside from the increased storage capacity and the switch to the widescreen display. Indeed, the on-screen interface is not much different than the 3G nano!

I'm keeping my 3G iPod nano (8 GB) for the foreseeable future, thank you very much!

dXTC
Sep 9, 2008, 10:04 PM
Okay, I just watched the keynote.

While I like the new capabilities of the iPod touch, and iTunes 8's Genius function looks like an interesting adaptation of Pandora, I have four important words to say about the nano...

I.

MUST.

HAVE.

B L U E .

:)

majordude
Sep 9, 2008, 10:11 PM
B L U E .

I dig the Big Bird yellow over the Cookie Monster blue...
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1459/store.apple.com/Catalog/regional/amr/nano/img/nano-yellow.jpg

princealfie
Lossless is fine for archival purposes, but it's pointless for use on an iPod. Tests have shown that AAC is transparent at 192k, so just use that. Or if you want to go insane, you could use 256k. Either way, you can fit a lot of music into 16GB.

yeah but what about non-portable listening like when you jack your ipod into a stereo?

clu10

i reckon it could be turned off

clu10
Sep 9, 2008, 10:12 PM

thers a special pair you buy for 30 bucks

clu10
Sep 9, 2008, 10:16 PM
shake gently to shuffle; drop on the floor to void your warranty :)

you cant void your waranty for droping your product

Veri
Sep 10, 2008, 01:00 AM
According to this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nhJVtL7M3c), and unless my unslept eyes are tricking me, iQuiz has been replaced with "Maze". But iQuiz is cool and allows you to create custom quizzes to brain-train (a bit of Perl can throw out a huge mental arithmetic quiz for example) while you're on the train!

Apple are really emphasising the "iPod is good for games" thing, mainly on the Touch of course, but I don't want it to be to the detriment of (my) education :P.

Cue
Sep 10, 2008, 01:34 AM
Why do I get the feeling that the Genius feature won't be available as an update to the iPod Classic?

DaveTheGrey
Sep 10, 2008, 01:51 AM
I love this new baby! I really would like to have one of those... But I got an iPhone... Well, perhaps as a christmas present for my sis!

AlaskanGrown
Sep 10, 2008, 02:43 AM
I Just ordered a Yellow, and a Green. Yellow, inscribed with You Are my Sunshine. Green with Jesus is coming, look busy. For a girlfriend and the other for a buddy.

outaru
Sep 10, 2008, 03:46 AM
the build in accelerometer is great... i'm thinking we'll be seeing more accelerometer on gadgets...

i love the red..

Stridder44
Sep 10, 2008, 05:38 AM
I just ordered the 120GB Classic. Does anyone know if the HDD is faster in this than the previous generation? I hated how choppy and slow the UI was in the last gens. I'm really hoping they fixed that.

Okay, this just hit me; how much was the 160 GB iPod Classic? It wasn't $249 as well, right?

MrCrowbar
Sep 10, 2008, 06:40 AM
I agree. Oh well, just wait for Colorware PC to start offering custom paint jobs on the new nano.

Mockup:

http://tinyurl.com/6n3yfh

puffnstuff
Sep 10, 2008, 06:54 AM
According to this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nhJVtL7M3c), and unless my unslept eyes are tricking me, iQuiz has been replaced with "Maze". But iQuiz is cool and allows you to create custom quizzes to brain-train (a bit of Perl can throw out a huge mental arithmetic quiz for example) while you're on the train!

Apple are really emphasising the "iPod is good for games" thing, mainly on the Touch of course, but I don't want it to be to the detriment of (my) education :P.

Oh trust me the new nano is going to have tons of games pushed on it. Thats why it has the acclerometer and still has the clickwheel. Games are going to be made to utilize both.

jouster
Sep 10, 2008, 07:31 AM
Just like the 2nd gen Nano.

And the first.

Kebabselector
Sep 10, 2008, 07:35 AM
Had a quick play at my local Apple store, very nice bit of kit. Though turning it to view video seems unnatural to me. Not too sure if I'll get it though, depends how much I can get for my 8gb wide boy nano.

chrono1081
Sep 10, 2008, 07:42 AM
My green 16gb is on its way :D:D:D

dXTC
Sep 10, 2008, 08:36 AM
I dig the Big Bird yellow over the Cookie Monster blue...

Which is cool with me. I'm glad Apple ditched the pastels. These new colors pop.

It's also nice that the silver one has a black Click Wheel this time around. It has that Industrial Strength look.

law guy
Sep 10, 2008, 09:42 AM

It perhaps did underwhelm, but it seems more like the primary purpose of this was to have Steve up on stage in public for investors / media. The first slide was probably a lot of the reason for the event.

On the substance - no 160 GB? That's a very useful size for uncompressed or lossless (half size) music for those of us who eschew the cassette tape auido quality of MP3s.

Veri
Sep 10, 2008, 09:47 AM
Oh trust me the new nano is going to have tons of games pushed on it.

Starting with the Nano 2g, firmware has been encrypted and no-one's yet found a way (short of opening it up and reprogramming the flash, and even then I've not heard anyone actually succeed) to either replace the firmware or run unsigned code. People have obtained flash dumps but I don't think anyone's analysed far enough into the unencrypted boot code to even extract keys. With that background, after a couple of years there are perhaps 3 dozen Nano games.

Contrast with the iPhone/Touch with dozens before official firmware, then hundreds of worth apps today, because it's slightly easier for developers to actually write for it...

llkennethll
Sep 10, 2008, 12:54 PM
will it be too weird for a guy to get yellow nano?

Clayne
Sep 10, 2008, 01:21 PM

No. Who cares? Do what you want.

dXTC
Sep 10, 2008, 01:22 PM

No, not at all. majordude apparently has the same preference. See post #189 in this thread.

Of course, I have no knowledge of majordude's gender, but frankly, does it really matter? Feel free to get the color you like, and feel free to redefine "weird" and "normal" for yourself. :)

llkennethll
Sep 10, 2008, 01:37 PM
i have mixed feelings.
i want a green, blue, or yellow.

but you know, yellow is so sharp and all fresh!

sigh...i can't make up my mind ><'

llkennethll
Sep 10, 2008, 01:38 PM
No, not at all. majordude apparently has the same preference. See post #189 in this thread.

Of course, I have no knowledge of majordude's gender, but frankly, does it really matter? Feel free to get the color you like, and feel free to redefine "weird" and "normal" for yourself. :)

yeah, i guess you are right, but i just dont want everyone staring when i take out my ipod:eek:

Clayne
Sep 10, 2008, 01:46 PM
They'll only be staring because you got the new cool nano.

Eric S.
Sep 10, 2008, 01:53 PM

Yes. A real man would get the biggest honkin' iPod he could find.

:eek:

theheadguy
Sep 10, 2008, 02:40 PM
If you aren't comfortable enough with yourself to make that decision on your own, then I would suggest a manly red nano.

nidserz
Sep 10, 2008, 02:48 PM
I likeee! I'm heading to an Apple Store today so hopefully they have some 8GBs in stock. I don't even need an iPod, but want a toy to play with while I wait for new MBP.
Now colors...I have a pink one so I'm thinking either Green or Purple...or even Yellow. Ahhh decisions, decisions, decisions!

danny_w
Sep 10, 2008, 03:06 PM
I likeee! I'm heading to an Apple Store today so hopefully they have some 8GBs in stock. I don't even need an iPod, but want a toy to play with while I wait for new MBP.
Now colors...I have a pink one so I'm thinking either Green or Purple...or even Yellow. Ahhh decisions, decisions, decisions!
Better call first. There seem to be very few available nationwide.

EDIT: US that is. I just noticed you are in Canada.

majordude
Sep 10, 2008, 03:15 PM

Think different. :apple:

Don't worry about what other's think. That's living life in fear.

llkennethll
Sep 10, 2008, 03:17 PM
Think different. :apple:

Don't worry about what other's think. That's living life in fear.

hey majordude, you are a yellow yeah? we were just kinda discussing about your gender...

.Chris
Sep 10, 2008, 03:23 PM
I like the new sliver nano. They did a great job adding a black click wheel. They should have done a white or even a sliver click whell on the black model..

not a huge biggie but the text on the click whell could have had the colors like the 2ed gen minis did

.Chris
Sep 10, 2008, 03:30 PM

no not at all. People may question if you got in to the purple or pink. but who cares what others think. You like the color, get it.

Red one is nice, but I still like the sliver with the black accents. Now thats what they need to do with the classic.

.Chris
Sep 10, 2008, 03:36 PM

Here is what I think.

Sliver: Fine, the black click wheel makes a good look.
Black: Could have had a sliver or white click wheel. Black blends in to much.
Purple: Fine, white goes great with it.
Blue: Fine, may be a sliver one, who cares.
Green: fine
Yellow: Black click whell. Make it stand out more. Sliver would do to.,
Orange. Black like you said, even sliver would do.
Red: Add a black or sliver. Black will really go good, and since its a Product {RED} nano, it needs to be good.
Pink: Fine,

Most are fine the way they are, expect a few. I also think the color of the ipod could also be the color of the text on the click wheel.

majordude
Sep 10, 2008, 04:02 PM
hey majordude, you are a yellow yeah? we were just kinda discussing about your gender...

Quit picking on me!
http://animations.fg-a.com/4_bab_02.gif

LOL! Yellow lollypop.

chadua
Sep 10, 2008, 04:23 PM
You know I'd rather have it be twice (even three times) as thick to double (or triple) the video play time... I mean slim is cool and all, but a thicker one would be more comfortable to hold anyway...

unlokia
Sep 10, 2008, 09:12 PM
:apple: For people famed for thinking different, you guys seem all seem to think the SAME, and spend too much time getting worked up over the iPod you ALL OWN (sheep).

Bahhhh!

Tom42
Sep 15, 2008, 07:11 AM
Is a surprise announcement (http://tomchristie.blogspot.com/) between Apple and Google about to take place? ;)

iEdd
Sep 19, 2008, 06:03 AM
No, probably not. :o But you have a good imagination, which is good :)