PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED: iPod Classic Warranty Exchange (Success!)

jsbarone
Sep 9, 2008, 01:33 PM
I've had a lot of problems over the years with my Hard Drive based iPods, and now have my third busted one. Call it back luck or what have you, but I can hear audible clicking in this thing and I'm fed up. I'm sure Apple is going to replace it, but the problem is that they'll replace it with another hard drive based iPod, and I'm sure I'll have similar problems. When I called my store, they said that the warranty exchange policy only allows for an exact product exchange, with no option for upgrade or downgrade. I'd like to get an SSD based device due to the fact that the hard drive is what's failed on me all these times.

Do any of you know/have you talked Apple into swapping this out for a different model?

jsbarone
Sep 9, 2008, 04:12 PM
Update: I just got off the phone with the manager of the store, and she said that while she can't go outside of the classic line, she *can* upgrade me to the more expensive model (160GB in this case). Having followed the conference today, I realize that the 160GB model is being discontinued. She recommended that I sell the 160GB and use that money toward a purchase of my choice. Any comment on this development? I could use some advice.

Martron
Sep 9, 2008, 04:20 PM
Well what model do you have now? If you don't have a need for 160 gigs...then yea, sell it and get something else. Personally, I have an 80 gig classic and had a probelm with the battery in my first one and havent had any problems since. I would love to get a Touch or iPhone but priority for me at the moment is space and I have only about 5 gigs free (of just music) and the gap is steadily closing as I acquire new stuff. It all depends on what you want.

Chupa Chupa
Sep 9, 2008, 04:22 PM
Update: I just got off the phone with the manager of the store, and she said that while she can't go outside of the classic line, she *can* upgrade me to the more expensive model (160GB in this case). Having followed the conference today, I realize that the 160GB model is being discontinued. She recommended that I sell the 160GB and use that money toward a purchase of my choice. Any comment on this development? I could use some advice.

Sounds like a plan. I suspect the 160GB models might come into high demand once supply is exhausted.

jsbarone
Sep 9, 2008, 05:08 PM
I suppose I'll do that then. I wonder how much to ask? What was the 160 price point---$350?

jsbarone
Sep 10, 2008, 01:22 PM
Well, believe it or not the replacement iPod I got (160gb) was a dud. I tried to sync it up and it just stops at a random point, usually lasting no longer than 200 songs. I'm guessing it's a bad drive. The manager is being cool and I have an apt. with her in an hour.

jsbarone
Sep 10, 2008, 03:11 PM
Alright, last update. Sure enough, the drive was dead in the replacement iPod. The manager was really cool and offered me one of the new 16GB touches for the price difference ($50). I took the offer and am very happy. This little thing is pretty cool! No more disk problems because it's all SSD baby!

pooryou
Sep 10, 2008, 03:16 PM
Wait you could have had a 160GB but you PAYED EXTRA to get a Touch?
A gimped iPhone with 1/10 the storage you could have had....?
IMO they should have payed you. But if you are happy that's all that matters I guess.