Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
I did this poster a couple of years ago in Freehand which had a cool negative/positive effect where the type is reversed out of the photograh. It's not a transparency.

I never found a way to do this in any CS3 program working with vector-type. Is there a way that I just don't know about?

Thank you.

9_themethodsds.jpg

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
You mean like this...

You would be using the pathfinder tool in Adobe Illustrator...
Under Pathfinders...you would use the divide button. (The first one)

You can then ungroup the selection, and change the colors.

(Note: Just make sure that when working with complex items...that the paths aren't grouped when trying to divide another object with them...the pathfinder tool doesn't like that)

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 600
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 104

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks, but not quite.

For one, that's not negative if it's black the overlap should be white. That looks like a transparency. Second, you can't do that to a photograph like I did in Freehand. I appreciate it, though.

You mean like this...

You would be using the pathfinder tool in Adobe Illustrator...
Under Pathfinders...you would use the divide button. (The first one)

You can then ungroup the selection, and change the colors.

(Note: Just make sure that when working with complex items...that the paths aren't grouped...the pathfinder tool doesn't like that)

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
Oh, okay...I don't have the first clue what I'm doing. :D

It looked like you posterized a photo and then vectorized it...which in combination with the pathfinder tool would give you the same effect.

Good luck figuring it out, though.

In my first post...I went ahead and changed the colors of the overlapping parts after using the pathfinder tool...which would give you the "overlay" effect if the correct colors were chosen.

There is always a way to acheive just about whatever effect you can dream up with adobe products...the catch is thinking of a different approach than what you would normally take.

So, this isn't what you were trying to acheive?

(completely vector)

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 107

ismoker

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
is this what you wanted?
if so, i first placed a photo file (illustrator cs3), and then live traced it to make photo as a vector image.
and then i typed some letters over the image, and created outline on text.
copied the grouped layer of the image as many as i needed.
select each letter with white arrow, and select the image as pressing shift so those two can be selected together.
cropped it with the pathfinder.
changed colors on the cropped area using white arrow tool and swatches.
(click the image i attached to see it larger)

Attachments

• mbm.gif
    mbm.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 127

ismoker

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
another example :p

please click the image i uploaded to see it larger

Attachments

• gss.gif
    gss.gif
    26.9 KB · Views: 160

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks for all the help. I've been searching for a long time, but changing the photo to vectors just isn't the same, and I TOTALLY appreciate everyone's input and workarounds.

I think I'll just keep using Freehand's one feature that I love. :D Kind of crazy I guess. I love how it reverses the text.

And thanks about the poster. They liked it enough to take the original and I'm like, dammit!

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Could it be something with the blending modes in Photoshop?

Try messing with those, they might get the effects you are looking for.

mbrellisford

macrumors member
May 29, 2007
Canada
Damn you beat me do it haha. Yah try difference mode, it will create the solid colour on white and then create the inverted colours effect when it interacts with others.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks guys, but my problem with the difference transparency is that blacks don't turn into whites. It just turns black text into a gray transparency. Here's my example of what it does. What should happen is the text stays black on the outside and pure white on the overlap like a true reverse. Just like in my "the methods" poster.

2845216810_7eec43ed0b.jpg

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
Just a simple transparency isn't going to work.

If you aren't going to posterize & vectorize like all the example above, then try the effects pallet and "overlay" should be similar to what you're doing. If it's not one of the others should work.

Adobe is the industry standard...I suggest you learn it, and learn it well. :D

Edit: Okay, a simple applied effect doesn't work. You actually have to put more effort into it.
It does require applying a live trace to the photo, expanding the selection, and using the pathfinder tool.
I have faith that you can do this. Also, a note to make...you may need to use the pen tool on the more intricate areas to "cut up the text" and apply an effect to it.

On this example, I livetraced the photo (in illustrator)...created outlines from text...copied the text...cut the pieces from around her body...pasted in place (to get the text that wasn't overlaying her to show)

I'm sure there's a better way to go about it...but it's crazy busy today at work...and I need to get back at it.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 109

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Just a simple transparency isn't going to work.

If you aren't going to posterize & vectorize like all the example above, then try the effects pallet and "overlay" should be similar to what you're doing. If it's not one of the others should work.

Adobe is the industry standard...I suggest you learn it, and learn it well. :D

Edit: Okay, a simple applied effect doesn't work. You actually have to put more effort into it.
It does require applying a live trace to the photo, expanding the selection, and using the pathfinder tool.
I have faith that you can do this. Also, a note to make...you may need to use the pen tool on the more intricate areas to "cut up the text" and apply an effect to it.

On this example, I livetraced the photo (in illustrator)...created outlines from text...copied the text...cut the pieces from around her body...pasted in place (to get the text that wasn't overlaying her to show)

I'm sure there's a better way to go about it...but it's crazy busy today at work...and I need to get back at it.

Like before, your example is totally different than what my first example shows. Nice try though. Thank you.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
in illustrator:

1. create 2 image in PS: image and inverted image (command I)
2. place regular image in AI
3. place inverted image exactly on top of regular image
4. place text on top of inverted image
5. select inverted image and text
6. object - clipping mask - make

this allows the text to remain fully editable. you may be able to skip step 1 if there is a way inside illustrator to invert a placed image (i don't think there is?)

ismoker

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
it's not exact same function occurs in Freehand you used in your poster but since you asked if there is in CS3 vector using program, i guess this can substitute if you want the effect in illustrator CS3.

1.place a photo, live trace it with 'photo low fidelity' and change max color to 2 (or as many color as you want), and expand.
2.apply colors you want to use to image using magic wand.
3.write a text over the image, and create outlines.
4.select those two layers (text and image) and use 'difference' mode on transparency. this reverses colors.
(i think you'v already tried this far, but having problem not getting whites over the black)

5.select black area( or the area colored same with the text) with magic wand, and chage the color to anyother.

6.go to object - flatten transparency
7.using magic wand, select the area which should turn into white but didn't. and change color to white.
8.change the color you've changed on 4. to black.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
That's the closest to what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Though you have to convert the photo...:mad: ;) Probably the only way.

If anyone's interested, in Freehand just click on fill, lens, invert. It's one of the most awesome things that keep Freehand on my MacBook.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Difference mode works fine, to get a 100% invert use white, black is 0%, you must have been using grey. Layer modes have neutral values where it wont affect anything, white, black, or 50% grey.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Difference mode works fine, to get a 100% invert use white, black is 0%, you must have been using grey. Layer modes have neutral values where it wont affect anything, white, black, or 50% grey.

Again, and I hope I'm not being OCD about this, but I tried that and it's not the same. It's an approximation, but no ticket.

Try this, have a black box with black type and try to invert half of the type overlapping the box. You can't do it. In Freehand it's a real, absolute inversion.

Here's something a little more complex using Freehand. I layered 3 objects and it performs flawlessly.

2847082543_b90de74bd2_o.jpg

onegirlcreative

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2008
Colorado
That's the closest to what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Though you have to convert the photo...:mad: ;) Probably the only way.

If anyone's interested, in Freehand just click on fill, lens, invert. It's one of the most awesome things that keep Freehand on my MacBook.

You know, I actually own a copy of Freehand but didn't install it in my new iMac, but after seeing all of this, I just may install it regardless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.