PDA

View Full Version : How do i get rid of the 'Genre' column when i'm in list view?

jawad7
Sep 9, 2008, 02:40 PM
Wasn't there before i upgraded up iTunes 8.0. I just want Artist and Album menus...how do i get rid of the first one that says genre? if at all possible.

bartelby
Sep 9, 2008, 02:41 PM
View -> View Options...

jawad7
Sep 9, 2008, 02:51 PM
View -> View Options...

that just gets rid of it on the columns. i'm talking about the menus above it. ideas?

bartelby
Sep 9, 2008, 02:55 PM
that just gets rid of it on the columns. i'm talking about the menus above it. ideas?

Oh. Has that not always been there?

Was it an option once?

I've always had it displaying

jawad7
Sep 9, 2008, 02:59 PM
Oh. Has that not always been there?

Was it an option once?

I've always had it displaying

i didn't have it about an hour ago then i upgraded to 8.0 and it's there! Don't need it and could do with getting rid off.

robbieduncan
Sep 9, 2008, 03:00 PM
In the browser? I don't know and it's annoying me. There used to be an option in preferences but it seems to have been removed...

kbmb
Sep 9, 2008, 03:05 PM
Same here, I used to have it turned off. It was in the General preferences but it's gone now in 8.0.

Here are the 2 screenshots:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=133877&stc=1&d=1220990600

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=133878&d=1220988677

-Kevin

jawad7
Sep 9, 2008, 03:50 PM
it will be so annoying if it can't be removed...keep looking through all the preferences, settings, etc but can't find anything to get rid of it.

xJulianx
Sep 9, 2008, 03:54 PM
This is seriously stopping me from upgrading at the moment.

I have no use for seeing genres as half of my 8,000 library hasn't even got a genre set, and those that do have either wrong or genres that are uselessly vague.

parkds
Sep 9, 2008, 04:08 PM
I have the same problem. With almost 16,000 songs in iTunes, a genre filter is of little use. Between the number of files and the vagueness of genres for a lot of music, I have always turned off and avoided that bowser window. It would be a shame to not be able to turn off that needless clutter.

jigo
Sep 9, 2008, 04:13 PM
I'm not liking this. I never use Genres, now I'm forced to look at them all the time.

Edit: Found this defaults write com.apple.itunes show-genre-when-browsing -bool FALSE

Life is good again.

jawad7
Sep 9, 2008, 05:03 PM
I'm not liking this. I never use Genres, now I'm forced to look at them all the time.

Edit: Found this defaults write com.apple.itunes show-genre-when-browsing -bool FALSE

Life is good again.

i don't understand what you mean - can you explain please.

robbieduncan
Sep 9, 2008, 05:05 PM

Life is good again.

Mmm, excellent. Works perfectly. Thanks

jigo
Sep 9, 2008, 05:36 PM
i don't understand what you mean - can you explain please.

Enter this in terminal then restart iTunes.

defaults write com.apple.itunes show-genre-when-browsing -bool FALSE

CrackedButter
Sep 9, 2008, 05:36 PM
Try this to remove the genre. I did it. Just copy and paste the command and close itunes and reopen and poof its gone.

http://blech.vox.com/library/post/switch-off-the-itunes-8-genre-browser.html

tyr2
Sep 9, 2008, 05:38 PM

Life is good again.

Wonderful, thanks!

Sharewaredemon
Sep 9, 2008, 06:17 PM
glad there is a thread about this here. Thanks for the fix.

Any idea what we need to put in to take the links to the music store out?

jigo
Sep 9, 2008, 06:20 PM
glad there is a thread about this here. Thanks for the fix.

Any idea what we need to put in to take the links to the music store out?

Certainly

defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-arrow-links -bool FALSE

Sharewaredemon
Sep 9, 2008, 06:22 PM
Certainly

defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-arrow-links -bool FALSE

I love you.

http://tunebomb.com/images/wub.gif

ttech10
Sep 9, 2008, 06:26 PM
I must be missing something... can't you just 'control+click' it and then uncheck 'Genre'.

I'm REALLY hoping that I'm just misunderstanding...

Sharewaredemon
Sep 9, 2008, 06:43 PM
browse view, not list view.

we want to turn the genre section off, which is possible in terminal.

http://www.mashley.net/itunes1.png

DuFFy
Sep 9, 2008, 07:11 PM
anyway to do this on windows????

kbmb
Sep 9, 2008, 07:30 PM

Life is good again.

Awesome thanks.

By the way, can someone explain, when someone runs one of these defaults write commands, what does it write to? The .plist file?

-Kevin

MartiNZ
Sep 9, 2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah, if that entry doesn't exist it creates it, otherwise it is just a command line way of modifying what you see when viewing plist files with Property List Editor, which I don't have installed right now so very grateful for these fixes. Now I have turned off everything that iTunes 8 added, yay :)!

DuFFy
Sep 9, 2008, 08:51 PM
does anyone know where i can do this on a windows machine? Im dying here, the arrows and the genre list are so annoying.

I wish i could afford a mac :rolleyes:

jmadlena
Sep 9, 2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks so much for the people that posted the workarounds! I hate the little arrows and never browse by genre, so this is a great little tip. I feel whole again, haha.

Foxer
Sep 9, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hallelujah! I hate genre browsing.

alphaod
Sep 9, 2008, 10:11 PM
This is seriously stopping me from upgrading at the moment.

I have no use for seeing genres as half of my 8,000 library hasn't even got a genre set, and those that do have either wrong or genres that are uselessly vague.

I have the same problem. With almost 16,000 songs in iTunes, a genre filter is of little use. Between the number of files and the vagueness of genres for a lot of music, I have always turned off and avoided that bowser window. It would be a shame to not be able to turn off that needless clutter.

Well it works for people who buy music off iTunes and/or rip their own CDs.

And quite frankly, Apple only cares about the first section of people and their experience.

imbored
Sep 10, 2008, 12:33 AM
Well it works for people who buy music off iTunes and/or rip their own CDs.

And quite frankly, Apple only cares about the first section of people and their experience.

Ripping CDs does not always give you the correct label. You may think something else is a more appropriate label, and don't want to spend all your time reorganizing your library because apple took out a feature in their update. Furthermore, some people dislike the idea of labeling/genres, and the genre bar just gets in their way now.

I don't see why you have to defend apple for leaving this feature out.

Sorry if I'm being a jerk to you, your comment just upset me because I interpreted it as you acting like you were better than everyone else and that their was no other possible opinion besides your own.

slurmomatic
Sep 10, 2008, 01:54 AM
Did anyone find out how to do this in windows yet?

Jolly Jimmy
Sep 10, 2008, 12:16 PM
Thank you for this! I was shocked when I found I couldn't get rid of the genre column any more. I've never used it and never will.

Thanks again!

jockmock
Sep 10, 2008, 12:25 PM
So how do you remove the genre and composer buttons in grid mode?

CLehnert
Sep 10, 2008, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know how I can get rid of the whole iTunes store section in the left sidebar?
I put the command to remove the store links in Terminal, but the crap on the left is still there.
Thanks for the command, Jigo!
That genre thing was gonna drive me nuts.

DuFFy
Sep 10, 2008, 03:21 PM
Did anyone find out how to do this in windows yet?

Credit for this solution goes to Rodalpho Carmichael, who posted this on the apple discussion boards

To remove the genre column on windows:

1) Shutdown iTunes

2) Backup your prefs file

C:\Users\(youruser)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunesPrefs.xml
(if youre on xp, the file is in
C:\Documents and Settings\(yourusername)\Application data\Apple Computer\iTunes)

3) Edit the file in a real text editor that understands UNIX linefeeds (notepad++, ultraedit, vi, etc) and paste the following lines below the <dict> line under <key>User Preferences</key>:

<key>show-genre-when-browsing</key>
<data>
AA==
</data>

4) Start iTunes and you should be set.

To turn off the annoying store arrow links, paste in this:

<key>show-store-arrow-links</key>
<data>
AA==
</data>

I agree, it's very annoying when options are removed.

Now people were reporting this working for them but i cant find any program personally that opens up the xml file correctly, i tried notepad, notepad ++, ultraedit, wordpad, and dreamweaver with no luck.

Scepticalscribe
Sep 10, 2008, 04:03 PM
To be honest, I'm not that pushed about the genre remove option -although it is nice to know, but those silly store suggestions are, to be frank, quite annoying. Having accepted the update (a bit precipitately, I'll admit), I have now actually disabled genius for the moment. Anyway, I'm not sure I understand (a polite way of saying I don't understand) the instructions given in an earlier post about how to remove them; at the risk of sounding awfully stupid, what does one do - and what/where - are/is terminal? An exceptionally grateful poster awaits a response.
Thanks and cheers

jockmock
Sep 10, 2008, 04:52 PM
Why not just activate genius and click on the arrow button in the bottom right corner to hide the store suggestions?

Scepticalscribe
Sep 10, 2008, 04:59 PM
Why not just activate genius and click on the arrow button in the bottom right corner to hide the store suggestions?

That sounds like a good suggestion and I thank you heartily for it.
Cheers and thanks

DuFFy
Sep 10, 2008, 05:54 PM
To be honest, I'm not that pushed about the genre remove option -although it is nice to know, but those silly store suggestions are, to be frank, quite annoying. Having accepted the update (a bit precipitately, I'll admit), I have now actually disabled genius for the moment. Anyway, I'm not sure I understand (a polite way of saying I don't understand) the instructions given in an earlier post about how to remove them; at the risk of sounding awfully stupid, what does one do - and what/where - are/is terminal? An exceptionally grateful poster awaits a response.
Thanks and cheers

now im not really one to answer this cuz i dont own a mac but terminal i believe is basically a command prompt, and i believe its in the applications under utilities

slurmomatic
Sep 11, 2008, 04:00 AM
Now people were reporting this working for them but i cant find any program personally that opens up the xml file correctly, i tried notepad, notepad ++, ultraedit, wordpad, and dreamweaver with no luck.

I used TextPad and it worked perfectly. Thanks a lot.

dukebound85
Oct 15, 2009, 06:50 PM
Enter this in terminal then restart iTunes.

defaults write com.apple.itunes show-genre-when-browsing -bool FALSE

effing a apple! why wont you let this termiinal command work with itunes 9?

kbmb
Oct 15, 2009, 07:00 PM

Because it's not needed anymore. You can turn off the Genre column fromthe View menu (I think that's the menu).

-Kevin

dukebound85
Oct 15, 2009, 07:10 PM
Because it's not needed anymore. You can turn off the Genre column fromthe View menu (I think that's the menu).

-Kevin

haha well ill be!

GGJstudios
Oct 16, 2009, 03:47 PM
Maybe because this thread is over a year old, and referred to an older version of iTunes?

dukebound85
Oct 16, 2009, 03:50 PM
Maybe because this thread is over a year old, and referred to an older version of iTunes?

your point? i knew that and would figure the same thing would work....

darned if one searches and darned if one doesnt

regardless, there is now an option for it:cool:

GGJstudios
Oct 16, 2009, 03:54 PM
your point? i knew that and would figure the same thing would work....
I wasn't saying anything about searching. I was referring to the fact that a solution that works for an older version of software won't necessarily work on later versions, since upgrades sometimes change functionality. I was suggesting that is why the year-old solution might not work on current versions.

dukebound85
Oct 16, 2009, 03:55 PM
I wasn't saying anything about searching. I was referring to the fact that a solution that works for an older version of software won't necessarily work on later versions, since upgrades sometimes change functionality. I was suggesting that is why the year-old solution might not work on current versions.

gotcha. sorry for the misinterpretation