PDA

View Full Version : Genius has made me rediscover my music library

Kilamite
Sep 9, 2008, 02:55 PM
I am absolutely baffled and blown away at how well this thing is working! I thought I'd have to tag all my genres, but no, it is finding music that is suitable even though the genre is missing!

And it is playing songs I haven't heard in a long long time - this is just awesome! I can't believe how well it is working!

I have over 12,000 songs, and for it to be able to filter through them all just so quickly and find relevant songs.

This is much bigger than I was ever expecting!

Sky Blue
Sep 9, 2008, 02:57 PM
It's looking at the iTunes store for comparison, all you should need is Song name and artist. If you pick a non-iTS artist (like Beatles or AC/DC) you'll get an error.

TSquares
Sep 9, 2008, 03:00 PM
It's looking at the iTunes store for comparison, all you should need is Song name and artist. If you pick a non-iTS artist (like Beatles or AC/DC) you'll get an error.

Hmm, that's too bad.

But apart from that, Genius is a great feature. Not only you can rediscover your music collection, but you can find new songs too via the itunes window.

Kilamite
Sep 9, 2008, 03:02 PM
Ah, I see what you mean.

That's a bit of a downer. I'm playing It's A Long Way To The Top and Genius isn't providing any tracks relevant to that (still showing the previous song's relevant tracks).

Ah well, if it works with the majority of my music I'm happy. Shame to miss out on some artists though. Maybe this will get fixed over time just by people sharing their Genius Playlists and iTunes being able to get better and more comparisons, not just from the Store? I'm still trying to understand all this.

TSquares
Sep 9, 2008, 03:06 PM
Ah, I see what you mean.

That's a bit of a downer. I'm playing It's A Long Way To The Top and Genius isn't providing any tracks relevant to that (still showing the previous song's relevant tracks).

Ah well, if it works with the majority of my music I'm happy. Shame to miss out on some artists though. Maybe this will get fixed over time just by people sharing their Genius Playlists and iTunes being able to get better and more comparisons, not just from the Store? I'm still trying to understand all this.

That could be possible.

They are indeed basing comparisons on the store and other people's collections. And you are right that they didn't have any Genius information from others until an hour ago.

techlover828
Sep 9, 2008, 03:09 PM
It's been working so great for me too, I'm loving it. Here's a sample from Shine on You Crazy Dimond by Pink Floyd. I have 1500 songs.

http://mt14.quickshareit.com/share/picture29e9e0.png

txr0ckabilly
Sep 9, 2008, 03:11 PM
did it take a long time for your genius to turn on/activate?

TSquares
Sep 9, 2008, 03:12 PM
Strange thing is, I got different songs.

I also have songs like Tuesday's Gone and Stairway to Heaven but didn't get them. I got Pet Sounds and Bright Side of The Road instead.

Edit: It was because we both limited the selection to 25 songs.

djwobble
Sep 9, 2008, 03:14 PM
I've got to say, I have not gotten my genius tool to work on iTunes 8.

I have tried almost every song in iTunes and it says, "Hit the update button and if that doesnt work, try a different artist.'

Am I doing something wrong?

Trajectory
Sep 9, 2008, 03:15 PM
Does this work only with iTunes tracks, or does it also work with tracks ripped from CDs?

techlover828
Sep 9, 2008, 03:15 PM

took 5-10 for my 1500 song library

txr0ckabilly
Sep 9, 2008, 03:17 PM
I've got to say, I have not gotten my genius tool to work on iTunes 8.

I have tried almost every song in iTunes and it says, "Hit the update button and if that doesnt work, try a different artist.'

Am I doing something wrong?

you have to go to the store button and turn it on

txr0ckabilly
Sep 9, 2008, 03:17 PM
took 5-10 for my 1500 song library

been 30 minutes already- half way there- 15,000 songs

djwobble
Sep 9, 2008, 03:18 PM
you have to go to the store button and turn it on

Ah, sorry forgot to mention but it is on and it gathered info about my library, etc etc

TSquares
Sep 9, 2008, 03:18 PM
Does this work only with iTunes tracks, or does it also work with tracks ripped from CDs?

I ripped everything and it works. It just uses the title and the artist. It even works with songs with album titles like: "Various".

Diatribe
Sep 9, 2008, 03:19 PM

Well, I guess a lot of people will be requesting lots of artists/albums on iTunes although not to buy them but to use them for Genius...

bartelby
Ah, sorry forgot to mention but it is on and it gathered info about my library, etc etc

And then wait... and wait... and wait... and wait... :rolleyes:

Kilamite

Works with ripped CD's. You have to have the Artist and Song names correctly typed obviously.

But not all artists/songs will get a Genius Playlist yet. Will over the next few days I think!

Trajectory
Sep 9, 2008, 03:21 PM
I ripped everything and it works. It just uses the title and the artist. It even works with songs with album titles like: "Various".

Works with ripped CD's. You have to have the Artist and Song names correctly typed obviously.

Fantastic! Maybe I won't wait until 8.0.1.

I'm 5 ft 8
Sep 9, 2008, 03:22 PM

Not for me. It's kind of like another Party Shuffle.

Kilamite
Sep 9, 2008, 03:27 PM
In fact, I have a song that just has the song field filled (although it contains the song name - "Death Cab For Cutie - Lowell, MA") and it added that.

So I guess it must search the song and artist fields for both variables.

onmyown2008
Sep 15, 2008, 05:30 PM
I was amazed at some the right matches Genius has made. I had put together a jazzy/mellow pop list and it grabbed a Peter Gabriel version of the jazz classic "Summertime". I had barely any information on my file for the song and it still fit it in correctly. I was impressed. If some people are looking for perfection however ...

c-Row
Sep 16, 2008, 01:10 AM
Had a good evening, starting with some Sarah McLachlan, and from there on I genius'ed me through some R.E.M. and Tina Dico. Nice choice.

What I miss right now is the possibility to start another Genius search/playlist from within the current one.

Ntombi
Sep 16, 2008, 01:36 AM
Had a good evening, starting with some Sarah McLachlan, and from there on I genius'ed me through some R.E.M. and Tina Dico. Nice choice.

What I miss right now is the possibility to start another Genius search/playlist from within the current one.
I've done that. It's fun to see where I can end up just doing one Genius playlist after another, jumping off from a result song.