PDA

View Full Version : Genius - did you read the privacy policy? License to Spam

lhotka
Sep 9, 2008, 03:06 PM
Well, I'm bummed - won't be using Genius.

If you read the privacy policy it allows Apple to "Provide you with recommendations regarding media and other products and services you may wish to purchase".

Last thing I need is more spam.

tobassist
Sep 9, 2008, 03:10 PM
It's refering to the genius side bar which can be switched off. All itunes email can be opted out of.

There's no spam email involved. Having said that genius is proving to be a waste of time.

soberbrain
Sep 9, 2008, 03:12 PM
Isn't the function of Genius to recommend media (for us) and to make linking/buying iTunes media easier (for Apple)?

The other products and services may be just legal talk to cover if Genius used to recommend more than just media in the future.

Does it say recommendations will be sent as an email?

lhotka
Sep 9, 2008, 03:23 PM
Who knows what the intent is? The policy is open ended.

I'm also wondering just how 'anonymous' user information is (especially when combined with purchase data, as outlined in the privacy policy). If it's anonymous, why does it require a store login? I can just see the RIAA and MPAA subpoenaing the data for future litigation.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't buy music or videos on iTunes - the quality just isn't good enough. Genius is clearly a thinly disguised means to market and sell more music through their store.