Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I know it's obvious that the iPod Nano will need new cases but what about these other two iPod's.
I have both an 80GB iPod Classic and a 8GB iPod Touch that I got with the purchase of an iMac.
Even with the iPod Classic it seems whenever I purchased a case in some cases they would have cases that were listed for the 80GB Classic and the 160GB Classic

Now that the new 120GB Classic is out will these work with it or if I upgrade will I need a new cases?

I know there were memory upgrades to the iPod Touch but was the size changed at all? From what I'm seeing I think it may be a minor change in size like from the iPhone to iPhone 3G but I know this slight change meant a new case was needed. Is this also true with the new iPod Touch?

Dragn

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
I know it's obvious that the iPod Nano will need new cases but what about these other two iPod's.
I have both an 80GB iPod Classic and a 8GB iPod Touch that I got with the purchase of an iMac.
Even with the iPod Classic it seems whenever I purchased a case in some cases they would have cases that were listed for the 80GB Classic and the 160GB Classic

Now that the new 120GB Classic is out will these work with it or if I upgrade will I need a new cases?

I know there were memory upgrades to the iPod Touch but was the size changed at all? From what I'm seeing I think it may be a minor change in size like from the iPhone to iPhone 3G but I know this slight change meant a new case was needed. Is this also true with the new iPod Touch?

I was wondering the same thing. I just checked and the new 120gig Classic has exactly the same exterior dimensions as the old 80gig Classic (ie. not as thick as the old 160gig). Some case manufacturers supported both, some only one. So any case for the 80gig Classic should fit the new 120gig Classic unless they decided to move the clickwheel or port or something (seems very unlikely). Seems like they took the mid-point on storage, added Genius firmware, added a bit of battery life (36/6 music/video vs 30/5) and kept the form factor and everything else exactly the same.

Can't help you on the Touch...still getting caught up with the news today (been in a room with no internet access all day).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.