PDA

View Full Version : Cue Splitter experience, anyone?

lepwisk
Sep 9, 2008, 04:41 PM
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience installing and using Cue Splitter software. It's a freeware app that allows one to split a single, long MP3 file into several parts, using ID3 info from an associated .cue file.

Long story short, I downloaded the latest version of the app (v. 2.6, available thru MacUpdate) and installed it no problem. But when I ran it for the first time, the app told me I was missing a couple of library files (a particular vorbis lib, for e.g.). It then asked me if I wanted to download and install these. OK, I thought, so I clicked yes and then it asked me for my admin password.

It was at this point that I paused. A simple freeware app asking for my admin password is a BIG RED FLAG for me. At this point, I clicked cancel and the app just quit on me. Seems it won't run without these libs.

Of course, it sort of makes sense that it would ask for my admin password given that these libraries would likely need to be installed at root level. But still...

So before I hand over the keys to my machine, so to speak, I thought I'd do some searching to verify that this was a common issue with this software. A bunch of Googling and nothing really turned up. So, of course, my next thought was to put this out to the helpful community of Mac Rumors readers. So...

Anyone use(d) Cue Splitter? Anyone experience a similar installation issue?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

lk