PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy: Online Apple or Best Buy? Warranty help?

Goroke
Sep 9, 2008, 04:51 PM
I really wanted to get my hands on the new iPod Touch 2nd Gen. Since it's purchasable on the Apple Store online, I'm so close from buying right now. But since this is a gift from my brother since I'm entering College, he wanted to play safe and wanted to wait till it's available on Best Buy so we could get a "safer" warranty.

Personally, I never had an iPod so I don't know how the warranty works on both side (Apple Store / Best Buy). Which one has a better warranty and/or service for the iPod if it has problems.

Also...I'm thinking about Jailbreaking it, but gotta wait till I know it's safe to do so :P

Thanks in advance~

TEG
Sep 9, 2008, 04:55 PM
There is only one Warranty, the AppleCare Warranty that is for 1 year from date of purchase. The Best Buy Extended Care is a crap thing they sell on top of it, and is completely worthless.

If you have a problem with your iPod, simply take it to an Apple Store and they will fix or replace it.

TEG

California King
Sep 9, 2008, 05:07 PM
There is only one Warranty, the AppleCare Warranty that is for 1 year from date of purchase. The Best Buy Extended Care is a crap thing they sell on top of it, and is completely worthless.

If you have a problem with your iPod, simply take it to an Apple Store and they will fix or replace it.

TEG

Best Buy's warranty is DEFINITELY not useless. They cover pretty much everything, unless you drop it or something. In my experience, it's pretty quick too. You just tell them what problem you have and they'll replace it with a brand new one. I say get it at Best Buy. That's where I'm going to buy mine. Either way, you get Apple's warranty.

Also, jailbreaking is safe. From what I've heard it's near impossible to permanently brick it.

Goroke
Sep 9, 2008, 05:14 PM
Best Buy's warranty is DEFINITELY not useless. They cover pretty much everything, unless you drop it or something. In my experience, it's pretty quick too. You just tell them what problem you have and they'll replace it with a brand new one. I say get it at Best Buy. That's where I'm going to buy mine. Either way, you get Apple's warranty.

Also, jailbreaking is safe. From what I've heard it's near impossible to permanently brick it.

You sure it's everything but dropping it? If so, I think I can wait a little. I could also buy a cover for it so it wont break...easily. What if I were to return a Jailbreaked iPod, would they really care or what not, even though I read that recovering is very easy.

I did hear jailbreaking is safe, but the touch is coming with the newest firmware, so I'm just gonna wait a week or two to make sure everything is perfectly ok to jailbreak it~

California King
Sep 9, 2008, 05:25 PM
You sure it's everything but dropping it? If so, I think I can wait a little. I could also buy a cover for it so it wont break...easily. What if I were to return a Jailbreaked iPod, would they really care or what not, even though I read that recovering is very easy.

I did hear jailbreaking is safe, but the touch is coming with the newest firmware, so I'm just gonna wait a week or two to make sure everything is perfectly ok to jailbreak it~
Yes, all they pretty much do is check if it's been damaged or not, and see if it works, and if it doesn't, they'll replace it for you. If they see a huge crack or something, they won't replace it.

Also, you should just restore it before taking it to best buy. It doesn't take that long anyways.

BTW, You could always call Best Buy yourself and ask them if you don't believe me, lol.

Goroke
Sep 9, 2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks dude. I just have to pray that it won't be sold out ._____.

California King
Sep 9, 2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks dude. I just have to pray that it won't be sold out ._____.

Me too! I'm buying with in-store pick up as soon as I see it in stock :)

Goroke
Sep 9, 2008, 06:01 PM
Me too! I'm buying with in-store pick up as soon as I see it in stock :)

Do you know when it's gonna come out in Best Buy? Around Friday?

ebow
Sep 9, 2008, 06:41 PM
I bought my 3rd gen iPod at Best Buy and got their extended warranty / protection plan. I got a replacement set of headphones using it, when the wire on mine started to get flaky, so I guess that's good. Of course, the HDD inside went on the blink a few months after the protection period expired, so ultimately, I supposed it was just barely worth it.

California King
Sep 9, 2008, 06:46 PM
Do you know when it's gonna come out in Best Buy? Around Friday?

No clue. I'm pretty sure Apple stores will get them first and other stores should get them soon after. My guess is that Best Buy will have them by Friday or next Tuesday. Can't wait!