PDA

View Full Version : Is "Genius" working for you?

djwobble
Sep 9, 2008, 06:30 PM
I have the new iTunes 8. I have gone through the part where iTunes examines your library and sends info to the cloud. What else do I need to do? I've updated the Genius.

I click on "Start Genius" on a song and it tells me, "Genius is unavailable for this song..." I have tried that on over 59 different tracks

Any luck?

telf22
Sep 9, 2008, 06:32 PM
Are they well known songs? I thought they had to be inside the itunes music store for the genius thing to work.

italiano40
Sep 9, 2008, 06:34 PM
if the naming in the title isn't correct it willn't work either

djwobble
Sep 9, 2008, 06:34 PM
Yeah. They are recognized. iTunes will of course suggest songs from the similar albums on the right hand side ( ;) ) but won't create a playlist..!!

Cadium
Sep 9, 2008, 06:36 PM
You have to ensure that the metadata for the songs are correct (and preferably match up with what is on the iTunes Store) for Genius to really work well.

With that being said, I have been playing with the new Genius feature since I have upgraded to iTunes 8 earlier this evening and it works really well for me, took a few minutes for it to process my library (I have 2041 items in mine), and from there I've generated three playlists with it which really "flow" well.

Sirus The Virus
Sep 9, 2008, 06:39 PM
I think it works great! I'm really glad I've spent all the time making sure everything is immaculately tagged. It's made some really great playlists of things I never thought would play well together. :)

ipodtoucher
Sep 9, 2008, 06:54 PM
It worked for most of my songs, but I selected Cyanide, which i bought from the itunes store, and it said it wouldnt work... but other than that it has worked great and produced outstanding picks

telf22
Sep 9, 2008, 06:56 PM
Yeah. They are recognized. iTunes will of course suggest songs from the similar albums on the right hand side ( ;) ) but won't create a playlist..!!

hmmm thats weird.

djwobble
Sep 9, 2008, 06:58 PM
What a pain! I wish i could get this to work!

Anyone wanna screen share? haha

Galley
Sep 9, 2008, 06:58 PM
Mine hasn't been able to complete the scanning and uploading process. I always get "serve busy" errors. :(

djwobble
Sep 9, 2008, 07:00 PM
Mine hasn't been able to complete the scanning and uploading process. I always get "serve busy" errors. :(

I haven't seen that error. Is it a pop up?

When I hit "update genius" it always goes through the process with no errors.

Brian

Cynicalone
Sep 9, 2008, 07:05 PM
Considering how great :rolleyes: those store suggestions where from iTunes I just don't see how this is going to work.

So far it's suggesting ***** I would never listen too even if they were giving it away.

djwobble
Sep 9, 2008, 07:59 PM
still no luck.

anyone have any other ideas?

elmateo487
Sep 9, 2008, 08:02 PM
The genius playlists so far have been AWESOME. But i have an extensive library, so it has a lot of music to choose from. The friggin' setup of genius took like 3-4 hours. Haha.

The suggestions are frilly ways to get you to pay for more songs though.

djwobble
Sep 9, 2008, 08:04 PM
I only have 213 songs...could that be the issue?

Cynicalone
Sep 9, 2008, 08:15 PM
In my original post I'm talking about the "Genius" suggestions for new stuff form the store. Terrible.

JL7
Sep 9, 2008, 08:21 PM
The freakin playlist creator is awesome..... :D

djwobble
Sep 9, 2008, 08:22 PM
I know it is awesome.... at least that is what i hear! I want it to be awesome for ME!

JL7
Sep 9, 2008, 08:23 PM
I know it is awesome.... at least that is what i hear! I want it to be awesome for ME!

So where exactly is the hangup?:confused:

thejadedmonkey
Sep 9, 2008, 08:25 PM
The freakin playlist creator is awesome..... :D

I JUST got rid of 15 gigs of music, but I'm about to go back with Time Machine and bring it all back.. Genius is probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen!

JL7
Sep 9, 2008, 08:26 PM
Right up there with time machine, which I also could not live without. :eek:

Ntombi
Sep 9, 2008, 08:26 PM
I think that's your issue. Once you get more music for it to choose from, it'll probably work.

It's working great for me--once it was finally done gathering info and all. That took well over an hour for me, but then I have close to 5,000 songs.

Now, it's making cool playlists that I hadn't thought of. :)

Yeah. They are recognized. iTunes will of course suggest songs from the similar albums on the right hand side ( ) but won't create a playlist..!!

Sorry, just reread that. That's weird.

Maybe try to reinstall the update?

djwobble
Sep 9, 2008, 08:34 PM
Thank you for your help, everyone

Alright, got it to work!

I either had to add more songs OR just add a new song and update. Now it works.

Here we gooooo!

elmateo487
Sep 9, 2008, 08:34 PM

Haha yeah thats definitely your problem. Ironically i have 212 GENRES. So it has a ton of variety.

Im sure with only 200 songs that it would pair Marilyn Manson with Mandy Moore, just because their names sound kinda alike.

djwobble
Sep 9, 2008, 08:36 PM
Yep I think library song was too little.

How the hell can you have 5000 songs?! omg

Ntombi
Sep 9, 2008, 08:40 PM
Oh, my library is quite average, I'd bet. :)

I still have a huge "to buy" list. I never have enough money for music or books. :(

DaftUnion
Sep 9, 2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah, 5000 songs sounds totally average. The one library i'm importing cd's into now is almost at 7,000 and should be at 11 or 12,000 when I'm done.

Then again, I spend a lot of time discovering new artists that noone has ever heard of.

macsForLife
Sep 9, 2008, 08:52 PM
Same here. I have a huge list of music I still want to get, I have ~3500 right now. Idk, I just love music. :)

blashphemy
Sep 9, 2008, 09:05 PM
yeah, Genius sucks for me too.... see my thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=559561). Pretty much determined that if what you listen to is popular in the US (aka can be found at Walmart), it works with Genius, otherwise Genius is a hack. Which is really pretty stupid considering that it works with a few songs I have whose meta-tags are screwed, which suggests it's more reliant on the actual acoustic properties of the song rather than the meta-tags themselves.

paulej69
Sep 9, 2008, 09:07 PM

Man - how can you only have 213 songs in iTunes? Did you just buy your computer and are still ripping CDs, or do you just not have much music?

I think 5000 songs is totally average, and I have heard of people with over 20,000 (I currently have around 10,000).

Hmmm - a thought occurs - how old are you? A recent survey here surprised me when it showed the majority (?) of MacRumors members were under 20 years old - I guess it's hard to accumulate 10,000 songs if you are on an allowance from your parents? Old timers like me have the benefit of years of collecting CDs behind us!

Edit: whoops forgot to mention Genius - working great for me, but the tunes I pick do not seem to HAVE to be in iTunes for it to work - e.g. it makes great playlists when I choose a Zappa track (Frank Zappa is not available in iTunes apart from some "bootleg" recordings), but refuses when I choose an obscure blues or folk music track.

sammich
Sep 9, 2008, 09:15 PM
Man - how can you only have 213 songs in iTunes? Did you just buy your computer and are still ripping CDs, or do you just not have much music?

I think 5000 songs is totally average, and I have heard of people with over 20,000 (I currently have around 10,000).

Hmmm - a thought occurs - how old are you? A recent survey here surprised me when it showed the majority (?) of MacRumors members were under 20 years old - I guess it's hard to accumulate 10,000 songs if you are on an allowance from your parents? Old timers like me have the benefit of years of collecting CDs behind us!

Edit: whoops forgot to mention Genius - working great for me, but the tunes I pick do not seem to HAVE to be in iTunes for it to work - e.g. it makes great playlists when I choose a Zappa track (Frank Zappa is not available in iTunes apart from some "bootleg" recordings), but refuses when I choose an obscure blues or folk music track.

A while ago in High School I had become obsessed with ripping CD's. Anything lying around the house, in siblings collections (my friends too) and I had amassed about 7000 songs, of which about 1/3 i will probably never listen to. My collection barely grows now, the odd single off iTS maybe, and now I cleared out a massive chunk of that 7000 songs, and got it down past 5000.

Genius works great for me. Great money spinner on Apple's part (gotta consider how much new hardware they installed to take care of all that library genius song matching/suggestion from 'millions' of users). All my music is immaculately tagged and organised. And proud of it.:D

All I need to do now is wait for 2.1 on my 3G to use the genius feature.

VenusianSky
Sep 9, 2008, 09:22 PM
The Genius feature is working for me. I have 7000+ songs. However, iTunes is crashing randomly. I am running Vista x64. Itunes 7.7 never did this. It is more stable when I close the Genius sidebar. Sometimes when I enter the store, all the images will display as broken links and then iTunes will freeze up. When I open it back up, it will be fine. Aside from this, I like the Genius feature. I'm sure Apple will work out the bugs. If it gets too bad, I will go back to 7.7 until things are fixed.

txr0ckabilly
Sep 9, 2008, 09:23 PM
works good for me too. 17,000 tracks and it somehow picks out 20 or so tracks for a playlist? it must make a playlist according to how much will fit on a music CD. it's pretty freakin' cool.

i was kind of amazed at what it put together- from old punk to new alternative country to classic rock. i just kept clicking artist to see who would be associated with them.

otep1760
Sep 9, 2008, 09:25 PM
there are a few bands that if i use them for the 'seed song' it wont make a playlist from

considering the bands are slightly 'obscure' but i have a lot of bands like that in my library and it wont even compare it to their own songs.

so far the bands that ive noticed this problem with are: Burzum, Sunn O)), Aura Noir and Agalloch

EDIT: Agalloch actually works.

and other than those bands, it works quite well.

CandyShop
Sep 9, 2008, 09:39 PM
I'm loving the whole Genius thing so far. It really is helping me to find songs that got lost in the mix of things. I like it because it helps me to get a random selection of songs in a certain genre- shuffle for me is just too random. This helps me find similar things I've never heard before.

My library is 2003 songs/336 albums. If you're someone who only has 200 some songs, go discover used CD stores. That's how I built my library. You can get entire albums for the price of 1 song on iTunes. For $20, you could potentially get 10 decent albums, which will add 100 songs to your library roughly. That being said, I have a bad habit of buying stuff and then not listening to it for a couple months. It takes a while for an album to grow on me. I'm weird because I like owning the entire album in most cases. I also hate buying albums on iTunes; I only use the iTunes store for single purchases. I love owning the physical CD. I'm kind of nervous because I'm running out of room on my iPhone and I hate carrying two separate devices, but I also hate not having all my music with me.

zarusoba
Sep 9, 2008, 09:43 PM
I'm really happy with my first 10 song Genius Playlist. It's based on an Aimee Mann song and includes Teddy Thompson, Matthew Sweet, Crowded House, Neil Finn and the Gobetweens.

Great bunch of songs.

mrgreen4242
Sep 9, 2008, 09:49 PM

I have 3100 and that's just song. I have about 5x as many audiobooks (by time - 12.5 days worth of music and like 65 days of books). And I've had some rotten luck with HDD's over the alst few years. I was at 6 or 7k before.

Anyways, I've only used the Genius feature once, but it's pretty slick. I picked a fairly obscure song (Tin Foil Hats by Rocky Votolato) and got a playlist of similar, but not identical sounding, tracks from a variety of artists (Sufjan Stevens, Frou Frou, Elliot Smith, Neutral Milk Hotel, Ryan Adams, Bright Eyes, etc). Some are on my frequently played lists, but most weren't. Good way to get to some of the "B tracks" on CDs that I don't listen to often.

Anyways, this is a feature that I've been pining for a long time. I can't wait to try it on my touch at work. I often create on the go playlists based on my mood at a given time, but after the 10-15 minutes of making a 2 hour list and then another 30-40 minutes into and my mood changes. :P

Now I can pick a song that reflects my mood and just insta-playlist... mood changes, pick a song for the new mood and instantly start a new group of tracks... love it love it love it.

Hm. Makes me want a 32gb touch to hold all my music. :P EVIL APPLE!!!

EDIT: Should start a thread to list the "source song" and the Genius list based on it.

kitki83
Sep 9, 2008, 09:59 PM
WOW WOW WOW!!!!! Genius is awesome, I played some random song that I swear no one in the world would know who it is. The thing busted out the album and similar styles of musics.

Galley
Sep 9, 2008, 10:00 PM
I haven't seen that error. Is it a pop up?

When I hit "update genius" it always goes through the process with no errors.

Brian

I've been stuck on Step 2 for several hours now. I've tried it many times, always with the same results. It says that is "taking longer than usual". :confused:

Ntombi
Sep 9, 2008, 10:02 PM
EDIT: Should start a thread to list the "source song" and the Genius list based on it.
I was just thinking that![/QUOTE]

Let's do it. :)

Edit: here we go (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=559827)

dukebound85
Sep 9, 2008, 10:03 PM
this may be uber noobish but is genius free? i saw it uses your itunes account login and i hesitated

majordude
Sep 9, 2008, 10:04 PM
I JUST got rid of 15 gigs of music, but I'm about to go back with Time Machine and bring it all back.. Genius is probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen!

Are you serious? It looks like just another way for Apple to sell you distorted songs for $0.99!

Diatribe
Sep 9, 2008, 10:06 PM
Well, I finally upgraded, despite some annoyances that I have with parts of the new terms & conditions.

I must say it works surprisingly well. Not Pandora-like well but well enough for the occasional use. Won't replace making some quality playlists myself but oh well.

Now does anyone know how I get it to not include 1 and 2 star songs? It's driving me nuts that it includes bad songs in there.

Agathon
Sep 9, 2008, 10:08 PM
I like it.

It has worked well for me so far.

It seems to work very well for well-known music. A track by the Police pulled up a nice selection of 80s music along with some other tracks of similar atmosphere.

But I tried it with a track from Ry Cooder's soundtrack to Paris, Texas, which is solo acoustic slide guitar blues (i.e. a bit out of the ordinary). It did a really good job of suggesting other tracks and I have to admit that I was pretty happy with what it did.

I can see it being a waste of time for Classical though.

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 9, 2008, 10:14 PM

It's just from 7 years of using iTunes.

Are you serious? It looks like just another way for Apple to sell you distorted songs for $0.99!

Yeah, because Apple is making so much money from music purchases on iTMS... :rolleyes: I think it's pretty helpful. I'm always looking for new song recommendations. Maybe this will replace my addiction to Pandora.

Ntombi
Sep 9, 2008, 10:21 PM
this may be uber noobish but is genius free? i saw it uses your itunes account login and i hesitated
Yep, free. :)

As for classical, yeah, don't bother. :rolleyes: That's no surprise, with the woeful way iTunes treats classical to begin with, but for the other genres I've tried, it's great.

Edit: Okay, I take that back. It doesn't work for Musicals either. :( Classical and Musicals not working takes away a good third of my library.

15danielp
Sep 10, 2008, 12:02 AM
I've been stuck on Step 2 for several hours now. I've tried it many times, always with the same results. It says that is "taking longer than usual". :confused:

Same here. I got 7000 songs. I REALLY want to try this out.

Its been 4 hours on step two. Is this unusual?:confused:

donotronix
Sep 10, 2008, 12:24 AM
i've been on step one for 45 minutes and it's only halfway done, but i do have 17,600 songs. i just wanted to check it out real quick and install spore, which i was only going to "check out real quick" tonight.

looks like it's going to be an all nighter.

ivan123
Sep 10, 2008, 12:27 AM
works perfectly for me, 2250 songs

bov
Sep 10, 2008, 12:27 AM
hmm Genius worked immediately for me, the researching my library part didnt take too long, maybe 5-10 minutes with 6,500 songs.

seems pretty cool, looking forward to playing with it more

Pants Dragon
Sep 10, 2008, 01:44 AM
One thing I've noticed is in the "Top songs you are missing" area it's sometimes listing songs I DO have. A couple have been due to typos in the name (Usually an invisible space at the end) but one I can't get rid of is "**** the System" by System of a Down. It's listed on iTunes as "****** The System" and I can't seem to make it realize I have the song. Any suggestions? (Not that it's a glaring problem)

I love it otherwise.:D

Ntombi
Sep 10, 2008, 01:48 AM
Rename it to "****** the System" in your library? ;)

It keeps recommending songs I already own too, and only half the time it's on a different album than the one I have listed. :rolleyes: It's definitely got some kinks to work out.

Pants Dragon
Sep 10, 2008, 01:53 AM
I'm not going to censor my library.:p

netdog
Sep 10, 2008, 02:17 AM
I haven't found it to be helpful yet, but hope that it improves as Apple amasses a huge database of libraries from which to extract relationships.

I assume that this works essentially like Firefly.

bilbo--baggins
Sep 10, 2008, 03:13 AM
It's not able to recommend stuff even when I'm playing some song purchased on iTunes. Mine is also recommending songs I already own - even from the same album. Also isn't working for compilation albums - it keeps making recommendations based on the artist of the first song on the album, and not the song currently playing. So far seems like a waste of time. Has potential though.

paulej69
Sep 10, 2008, 03:23 AM
Same here. I got 7000 songs. I REALLY want to try this out.

Its been 4 hours on step two. Is this unusual?:confused:

Wow, that's a long time - 10,000 songs here, downloaded iTunes and Quicktime, installed, using Genius within 20 minutes all up.

steviem
Sep 10, 2008, 03:49 AM
It took ages for me too, I guess an iTunes library with 9000 songs and G4 Mac Mini meant it took half the night to sort its genius stuff out.

It seems fairly good, but I was hoping for something more last.fm style.

Nevermind....

mouchoir
Sep 10, 2008, 04:14 AM

Have you tried pressing the genius button at the bottom right corner?

That should create a playlist from your own library.

Trajectory
Sep 10, 2008, 04:19 AM
Mine is also recommending songs I already own - even from the same album.

Same thing for me. I couldn't understand why the "genius" panel was showing me songs I already bought.

smurfjammer
Sep 10, 2008, 04:23 AM
It's working fine for me but the more people use it the smarter it will get and give you better playlists.

mouchoir
Sep 10, 2008, 04:56 AM
Same thing for me. I couldn't understand why the "genius" panel was showing me songs I already bought.

I can't work out if you guys are teasing or not?!

It does two playlists:

1. show you a selection of songs that you can buy based on a song you have chosen.

2. make you a playlist out of your own iTunes Library based on a song you have chosen – so you can, you know, play it!

Edit: I realise you may be referring to the sidebar, in which case ignore me.

TyrannoJack
Sep 10, 2008, 04:59 AM
whenever i click the genius button on a song it brings up a genius playlist, but it isn't like what steve showed in the keynote. here's what happens.

i am listening to a song, i press the genius button and instead of it bringing me to the genius list while still playing the song, it completely changes the song to the first song in the genius playlist (which is never the original song i was listening to) and all the songs after it are in alphabetical order, not random.

this isn't what it's supposed to do right? when steve did it, it continued playing the song he pressed the genius button on and the songs after it in the playlist werent alphabetical. does anyone have a fix for this?

ahuman7341
Sep 10, 2008, 05:13 AM
whenever i click the genius button on a song it brings up a genius playlist, but it isn't like what steve showed in the keynote. here's what happens.

i am listening to a song, i press the genius button and instead of it bringing me to the genius list while still playing the song, it completely changes the song to the first song in the genius playlist (which is never the original song i was listening to) and all the songs after it are in alphabetical order, not random.

this isn't what it's supposed to do right? when steve did it, it continued playing the song he pressed the genius button on and the songs after it in the playlist werent alphabetical. does anyone have a fix for this?

It goes to the song thats highlighted, not the currently playing song, which may be the same, but not always. As for the sort make sure its not sorting by name ("Name" at the top of the list of the track names will not me highlighted) and if none of that works just press the shuffle button.

Now my experience has been great with only 1600 songs even with some imperfect metadata tag. I've been doing some expirementing, for example no matter what i try i cant get it to recommend Miley Cyrus, which makes some kind of since. And apparently Believe by Cher goes great with just abut everything as does Bottle it up by Sara Bareillis, even steve had that song come up in his playlists during the keynote.

rangerrick337
Sep 10, 2008, 05:24 AM
I live in Thailand. I was very sad to find out that genius is not supported here. Does anyone know of a workaround that would allow itunes to "think" I was back home in the states? There must be a way.

Cheers

TyrannoJack
Sep 10, 2008, 05:27 AM
i figured out the problem...

when you have the album art showing in the genius playlist it sorts them alphabetically, but when you hide the covers it works normally (starting with the selected song and having the playlist be random, not alphabetical).

arkitect
Sep 10, 2008, 05:28 AM
Is "Genius" working for you?

Not so far. Fitfully and certainly not very impressive.
Most of the tracks I try out comes up with an error message.
I'll give it a try in a few months time… perhaps then the database will have grown.

But then again I am not your typical Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin type listener. ;)

:D

TyrannoJack
Sep 10, 2008, 05:33 AM
this is what happens with my problem:

so i select a song, and press the genius button
http://i38.tinypic.com/350ruvo.png

now without the album art showing, it looks like this (normal):
http://i33.tinypic.com/2n8yhc7.png

but if i do the same exact thing, except this time with the album art expanded, i get this. the selected song isn't even the first song to play, it just plays the first song alphabetically:
http://i36.tinypic.com/xax4sl.png

kind of annoying...but i can live with it...

gloss
Sep 10, 2008, 07:04 AM

*snip*

*snip*

but if i do the same exact thing, except this time with the album art expanded, i get this. the selected song isn't even the first song to play, it just plays the first song alphabetically:
*snip*

Yeah, I was just able to duplicate your error. Strange. I wasn't using artwork in the Genius playlist section so I hadn't noticed it until now. (Nice library, by the way!)

First selection:
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1416/12414596du6.th.png (http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=12414596du6.png)

Playlist made with art hidden:
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/2995/30112033hu6.th.png (http://img54.imageshack.us/my.php?image=30112033hu6.png)

Playlist made with art expanded:
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3930/51573353dk2.th.png (http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=51573353dk2.png)

I was able to 'fix' the glitch by just clicking the top of the column between 'Artwork' and 'Name' again, which promptly kicked all the tracks into proper order:

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/2609/26016696mc8.th.png (http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image=26016696mc8.png)

TyrannoJack
Sep 10, 2008, 08:23 AM
yea, i noticed that 'fix' too. kind of sucks that you have to do two clicks to get everything to work properly though.

ps, you've got good taste :P

synagence
Sep 10, 2008, 10:03 AM

Lol ... i'm 237 items in my Music section short of 10,000!

Its taken me years to accumulate this though ... including the several hundred CD's i have now put into storage

Galley
Sep 10, 2008, 11:33 AM
I finally got it to work, but now I gotta leave for work. :)

rogers106
Sep 10, 2008, 11:38 AM
I absolutely love Genius.

Like many in this thread, I've got a pretty large library (~8500). With a library that large it's easy to forget about a song or two...

Today I was looking to beef up my gym playlist (no pun intended). Picked a few songs that I really like on the existing one, saw that Genius thought, and grabbed a bunch from the Genius list. The suggestions were accurate and pretty good.

Best of all: it's fast.

Love it.

jockmock
Sep 10, 2008, 12:03 PM

http://i38.tinypic.com/350ruvo.png

http://i33.tinypic.com/2n8yhc7.png

http://i36.tinypic.com/xax4sl.png

Weird, probably fixed til next update. Btw, those pictures could totally be out of my library, I have all those albums

hitekalex
Sep 10, 2008, 01:18 PM
To me this whole "Genius" feature is more of a marketing genius of Apple than anything else.. Not only Apple gets free statistics about our libraries and usage patterns (this alone must be worth a fortune for market studies).. but they also get to upsell us with pervasive links to ITMS to keep us buying more stuff.. All under the guise of "intelligent playlist" feature that barely works! Truly brilliant, Apple.

And btw, the actual feature is barely useful to me, as much of my library is obscure and world music, which "Genius" doesn't recognize. But even more shockingly, even the pop music that's not in ITMS (like Beatles!) isn't recognized right now. What ever Apple.

Sirus The Virus
Sep 10, 2008, 01:31 PM

I have 7205 tunes... it's not hard. Trust me. I have around 400 vinyl LPs, most aren't available on CD. I probably have 20,000+ songs not in iTunes.

Trajectory
Sep 10, 2008, 01:43 PM
I can't work out if you guys are teasing or not?!

Edit: I realise you may be referring to the sidebar, in which case ignore me.

Yes, I'm talking about the iTunes Store Genius sidebar. It's showing me songs I've already bought from iTunes, so, not very accurate.

James17
Sep 10, 2008, 02:08 PM
I love the new "Genius" feature, it is truly genius. :D

leokennis
Sep 10, 2008, 04:01 PM
I have a 20.000 track library (so) for me Genius works fine...on standard genres. For rock, pop and folk it really picks out matching songs.

On hip-hop it just selects some more hip-hop (but still puts Lil Wayne next to NWA, where the only thing in common is that it's 'hip-hop').

On dance, house and techno it gets completely lost and adds Wolfmother to Swayzak.

I'm curious if the thing will actually get smarter, as promised...

conman16x
Sep 10, 2008, 04:58 PM
I thought I should let people know that Genius playlists are not working for me either. At least not any more. It was working fine yesterday and most of today and I was loving it, but just now it stopped working entirely. Any songs I select gives me the message "Genius is unavailable for the song '[song name]'." I even tried making a Genius playlist using songs that I had previously used successfully, but got the same message. In fact I even tried refreshing the last Genius playlist that I had made and again got the error message. Updating Genius has not helped.

This is definitely a bug and I hope it's fixed very soon because I already miss Genius.

ortuno2k
Sep 10, 2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah - Genius is working great for me so far. Was testing it last night with some electronica chillout & rock tunes - worked very well.
Haven't saved any playlists yet, but willing to do so soon.
Other than that, Genius is the ONLY option to upgrade to 8.0 at this time. Nothing else worth the upgrade, imo.

Oh - and yes, you will need to have your media properly tagged so Genius can work correctly. Those of you who have "track 1", "unknown track", "unknown artist", "pista 1", and so on - will not / may not work. I can't say with certainty because 100% of my tracks are correctly labeled.

whooleytoo
Sep 10, 2008, 08:30 PM
Genius stopped working for me too. It said it wasn't available for ANY track which I thought was odd. I tried the Genius playlist which was fine, went back to my music library, hit Genius button and then it worked for most tracks (as you'd expect). Weird.

This genius is a little stupid though. I tried to use Genius on a track by "The Man" (techno) and it came back with albums by "The G-Man" (don't even know how to categorise it, cheesy 80's synth music?). If that's the extent of its matching, I'd rather it came back with nothing at all.

dscuber9000
Sep 10, 2008, 08:45 PM
I think it only works for songs that Apple is selling on iTunes. It doesn't work for any of my Beatles songs, but it does work for practically everything else.

OrangeCuse44
Sep 10, 2008, 10:53 PM
I'm lovin' this feature. Made a playlist based off of The National and 95% of the songs go perfectly. I even found some songs I didn't even know I had/liked.

Akira1980
Sep 10, 2008, 11:03 PM
I'm lovin' this feature. Made a playlist based off of The National and 95% of the songs go perfectly. I even found some songs I didn't even know I had/liked.

Same here I have around 40GB of music so this new feature is great! I am rediscovering my own music!

buccsmf1
Sep 10, 2008, 11:08 PM
I'm liking it a lot so far but it seems to go out inconsistently right now. It will just say "genius unavailable" for a minute or two and then it will start working again.

ingenious
Sep 10, 2008, 11:28 PM
works great for me! i think it's an amazing feature.

downingp
Sep 10, 2008, 11:49 PM
I haven't had a chance to test out genius yet, but I had a questions. What is considered a proper tag of an artist? Alot of my artists with names, I have alphabetized by their last name (ex. Johnson,Jack or Matthews,Dave). Will "genius" be able to pick this up or will I need to retag all of my artist to display first name then last name? (Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews)?

Thanks.

Slayerboym88
Sep 10, 2008, 11:56 PM
This feature is absolutely great. This is great, and once I have the ability for my iPod Classic 1g, it will be great. I can definitely see myself creating this for when I'm trying to 'wind down' before/as I fall asleep. As long as the iPod is the same as the iTunes list, it should work fine because when you're trying to calm down, you don't want all of the sudden for Guns N Roses or Fall Out Boy to shock you back to consciousness. Also great for when out exercising, to keep the fast paced songs coming to keep motivated.

Slayerboym88
Sep 11, 2008, 12:00 AM
I haven't had a chance to test out genius yet, but I had a questions. What is considered a proper tag of an artist? Alot of my artists with names, I have alphabetized by their last name (ex. Johnson,Jack or Matthews,Dave). Will "genius" be able to pick this up or will I need to retag all of my artist to display first name then last name? (Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews)?

Thanks.

I would imagine that you would have to reformat your artist names to match the way they do in iTunes, the spoken way (Jack Johnson not Johnson,Jack). I'm personally doubting that 'genius' is that smart. That does raise a good point though, we should really get to choose whether or not to sort by first or last names in artist like we can for address books; we could simply click 'group/band' if we were putting in a name that was not a single person to keep the system straight. Hmm.

laachlan
Sep 11, 2008, 12:49 AM
Genius recognizes almost all of my 12000 songs or so, and I'm loving it. It's quick, and works heaps easily and the results are excellent.

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 11, 2008, 12:52 AM
Genius recognizes almost all of my 12000 songs or so, and I'm loving it. It's quick, and works heaps easily and the results are excellent.

how do you know what songs it recognizes?

Aranince
Sep 11, 2008, 12:53 AM
Any song in the iTunes store it should recognize.

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 11, 2008, 12:56 AM
Any song in the iTunes store it should recognize.

so he's checked to see if nearly 12,000 of his songs are in the store?

laachlan
Sep 11, 2008, 01:02 AM
so he's checked to see if nearly 12,000 of his songs are in the store?

yeah man.

no, just kidding, but i've tried heaps of songs and genius has been excellent.

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 11, 2008, 01:05 AM
yeah man.
Oh wow, that must have taken forever

no, just kidding,
Oh you got me!

uva25
Oct 1, 2008, 10:00 PM
Is it me or does genius not recommend songs if they have been purchased on Amazon and imported into Itunes? Does it only recommend if you have purchased the song from Itunes? If so, lame.

ReanimationLP
Oct 1, 2008, 10:23 PM
I cant be bothered to set Genius up. I mainly listen to japanese pop/rock music.

I highly doubt it can give me recommendations.

reubs
Oct 3, 2008, 09:32 PM
I'm not incredibly thrilled with Genius (only a 5000 song library with LOTS of live music, and I hate live music being mixed in w/ a shuffle), but I can see how it could be a cool feature for folks with lots and lots of music.

I update it every now and then (does that even matter), and I create a playlist every week or so based upon a song I want to listen to. I mostly use the "shuffle songs" feature on my 5G anyway, so it's not a huge deal.

elmateo487
Oct 4, 2008, 02:45 PM
i have 18,000 songs. Random isn't an option! Otherwise it goes from Celine Dion to Atreyu...

The genius is wonderful. It works so well. I use it a couple times a day when i don't know what to listen to.

Although some songs are not able to use the feature. Which is annoying, because im positive people are listening to that music... it should have some kind of info.

StBDawg
Oct 5, 2008, 03:39 PM
I have 1761 songs in my iTunes library, most are cds I ripped, others I bought in the iTunes store. I turned on Genius and it went through the process and I even updated from the Store menu. Every song I try I get the message "Genius is unavailable for the song....". The songs are popular songs so its not that its unknown bands. What is the whole metatag everoyne is talking about? How can I find out if that's the cause?

BoyBach
Oct 21, 2008, 09:20 AM
Genius has finally recognised a song by The Beatles and created a playlist.

It looks like all those Apple algorithm-thingies are finally working! :p

alFR
Oct 22, 2008, 09:39 AM
That does raise a good point though, we should really get to choose whether or not to sort by first or last names in artist like we can for address books;

You already can: put the name the "proper" way (e.g. Jack Johnson) in the artist name field, then if you want to sort by last name put the surname first (e.g. Johnson, Jack) in the sort field.