PDA

View Full Version : 240gb Ipod

paulct
Sep 9, 2008, 08:27 PM
who will be the first to swap the current hd with the new toshiba 240?

r.j.s
Sep 9, 2008, 08:29 PM
Wonder what that thing costs ...

ACAx1985
Sep 10, 2008, 01:26 AM
Tell me how and how much, and I'd do it. 160 can't hold me, I was hopin for a bigger one this 9/9 :(

JWest
Sep 10, 2008, 01:27 AM
Seems doable as long as you have the 160GB's back plate.

iParis
Sep 10, 2008, 01:27 AM
Not a bad idea.
That might not work though, doesn't the original hard drive hold all the firmware information.
If you switched the drive you would lose of all that.
Even if it does work I'm scared I'll mess it up some how.

DR GB
Sep 10, 2008, 12:00 PM
My 160 GB ipod has been full for months. I have been waiting anxiously for this new release.
A 120 GB ipod. Useless to me.
What a disappointment !
The Toshiba website makes it clear a superior 240 GB hard drive is available.
Faster and more energy efficient than the 160.
Steve, why are you letting us down?
More is always better.
More songs, better quality songs,more movies, etc.
If Zune comes out with a 240 GB, I will have to convert

DR GB
Sep 10, 2008, 12:50 PM
I would buy a 240 gb ipod today if it was available.
My 160 is full. I have been unchecking songs for months.

MacBass
Sep 10, 2008, 03:24 PM
If Zune comes out with a 240 GB, I will have to convert

Not if you have a Mac. Zunes don't sync with Macs.

ACAx1985
Sep 11, 2008, 12:39 AM
If a 240 Zune came out I'd buy it for sure.

Lord Zedd
Sep 11, 2008, 06:21 AM
I would buy a 240 gb ipod today if it was available.

I was waiting for a 200+GB iPod to be released yesterday as well and I would have bought one that day.

I anxiously await the news of compatibility for the new 240GB drive into an "old" 160gb iPod!

SactoGuy18
Sep 11, 2008, 07:23 AM
I think the reason why Apple didn't launch the "6.5G" classic with the 240 GB HD was that Apple couldn't get assurances for a steady supply of the drive, unlike the single platter 120 GB drive, which is now widely available. Don't be surprised that we may see Apple roll out the 240 GB iPod classic at Macworld Expo SF in January 2009, when supplies of the 240 GB HD are more reliable. :)

slimeric
Sep 11, 2008, 07:30 AM
it occurs to me you should be able to clone the old drive, to the new one using superduper, no?
that should get around any problems with the firmware etc

only thing that may be a problem is how involved will swapping it be....
i.e. am i just going to screw up my 160 classic, then not be able to replace it :confused:

paulct
Sep 11, 2008, 11:53 AM
Just called small dog today (VT's only apple outlet) and they have over 100 160's and they lowered the price to 275 for brand new!

roland.g
Sep 11, 2008, 12:13 PM
Get 2 120s and some double sided tape. Back to back iPods.

DR GB
Sep 12, 2008, 08:55 PM
You people who do not believe a larger hard drive is an advantage; think again.
Not only can you put everything your heart desires on your pod, but you can dramatically increase the quality of your recording.
Using the AIFF encoding or wave will provide far better sound for the listener.
Unfortunately the space required to store these files is immense. 10X more.
Even increasing the setting on AAC to 256 kbps will double the size of the file.
To hold what I currently have on my 160 gb ipod in the file type I prefer would take a 1.5 terabyte ipod.
You can't be too rich, too good looking, or have too much hard drive!
Send the word around.
AN IPOD CANNOT BE TOO BIG!
WE NEED A 240 gb ipod.

donga
Sep 12, 2008, 10:25 PM
what are you guys doing with your ipods that you need your entire libraries with you? can't you just have the library on your laptop/desktop and then carry a portion of it with you?

paulct
Sep 12, 2008, 11:14 PM
what are you guys doing with your ipods that you need your entire libraries with you? can't you just have the library on your laptop/desktop and then carry a portion of it with you?

thats what the iphone is for

If im paying any money for an mp3 player, i want it to be able to play all my songs

reberto
Sep 12, 2008, 11:30 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here, but I use my iPod as a backup device and a file transfer tool. And whenever my friends want to have a movie night, I put my movies on the iPod and transfer them over to my PS3.

donga
Sep 13, 2008, 12:44 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here, but I use my iPod as a backup device and a file transfer tool. And whenever my friends want to have a movie night, I put my movies on the iPod and transfer them over to my PS3.

that's makes a lot of sense. a very good reason to have a 2400gb ipod

Kilamite
Sep 13, 2008, 12:28 PM
I have a 30GB iPod, and my music library is growing over 60GB's these days, and I have well over 100GB's worth of TV Shows and 200GB's worth of Movies.

While I'm not aiming to carry all my TV Shows and Movies around with me, I absolutely hate having to filter though what I probably won't want. It is just easier to have it all.

Come 2010, I'm sure this won't be an issue anymore.

iMacmatician
Sep 13, 2008, 01:21 PM
It'll probably come as a silent addition ($349) to the 120 GB iPod classic, just like how the iPod touch got a 32 GB option earlier this year.

You people who do not believe a larger hard drive is an advantage; think again.
Not only can you put everything your heart desires on your pod, but you can dramatically increase the quality of your recording.
Using the AIFF encoding or wave will provide far better sound for the listener.
Unfortunately the space required to store these files is immense. 10X more.
Even increasing the setting on ACC to 256 kbps will double the size of the file.I don't need a large iPod since 64~128 kbps is enough for me.

Kilamite
Sep 13, 2008, 01:32 PM
I don't need a large iPod since 64~128 kbps is enough for me.

You are happy with listening to a 64 kbps audio track?! :eek:

I can only imagine the dissatisfaction when you are at a party with your iPod, and you want to play a song off it through the big speakers.

fabian9
Sep 13, 2008, 01:49 PM
Not a bad idea.
That might not work though, doesn't the original hard drive hold all the firmware information.

I don't know about the classic, but I remember disassembling my ipod mini quite a few times and I then upgraded my 4GB CF drive with an 8GB one and it wasn't a problem. The firmware was transferred onto the new CF card by restoring the ipod in itunes. I wouldn't be surprised if it's also possible with the classic...

Fabian

iMacmatician
Sep 13, 2008, 02:12 PM
You are happy with listening to a 64 kbps audio track?! :eek:Depends on the audio file. Some of them I'm fine with 64 kbps, others I need at least 96 kbps.

We have an electronic dictionary that plays MP3s, but its capacity is 50 MB or so. One day I wanted to put MP3s in there. So I had to convert audio files to 8/16/24 (or so) kbps for them to fit with good free space remaining. :p

Let's just say most didn't sound very good, even out of the small mono speaker.

DR GB
Sep 14, 2008, 09:14 AM

For me, the magic of an ipod is to carry every possible song you could ever want to hear in your pocket.
Music is about how you feel. There is a song for every feeling and situation.
Be satisfied with a nano if you want to keep going back to your library.
Convenience is King. 240 gb or bigger.
It is all about cutting out steps and making your life easier.

macsForLife
Sep 14, 2008, 03:29 PM
I don't know how anybody can stand music at less than 256, it just sounds so bad, and I would love to be able to keep all my music at its original size, plus I would like to carry around a few TG episodes as well. There are a lot of people that want to carry their entire library with them, me included. I think that's kinda the point of the classic.

iMacmatician
Sep 14, 2008, 06:45 PM
I don't know how anybody can stand music at less than 256, it just sounds so badNot for me it doesn't.

(At least I think it doesn't.)

Kilamite
Sep 14, 2008, 07:00 PM
Not for me it doesn't.

(At least I think it doesn't.)

Depends on your setup. A decent set of speakers, and you'll notice right away the difference in clarity on the bass and treble. A lower bit rate causes each end of the spectrum to become distorted. I have a Home-Cinema setup with 4 large bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. Listening to the same song on 128kbps and 320kbps, there is a massive difference. The bass is more precise and less "grungey" and the treble has more clarity and a brighter presence.

If you listen to music through cheap speakers or headphones, then a high bit rate isn't going to mean anything. But to people who have good audio setups, a high bit rate means everything. It is a waste of money investing in great and precise speakers if you are using a crap bit rate.

MacBass
Sep 14, 2008, 07:15 PM
Not a bad idea.

The firmware would still be stored on the logic board of the iPod, so when you'd plug it in to sync, your iPod would just need to be formatted to whatever format your computer would be (Mac or PC).

For audio quality, I usually like 192, 256 or 320 didn't seem to make a big enough difference versus the amount of space the songs took up. I think 192 sounds ten fold better than 128 and even 160.

richkent72
Sep 15, 2008, 11:51 AM
With one breathe Steve Jobs is telling us how great iPods are for video, and with another is telling us the 160GB iPod is being discontinued. If we are cramming music, photos and video onto our iPods, it makes sense that we want more capacity.

macsForLife
Sep 15, 2008, 07:50 PM
The firmware would still be stored on the logic board of the iPod, so when you'd plug it in to sync, your iPod would just need to be formatted to whatever format your computer would be (Mac or PC).

For audio quality, I usually like 192, 256 or 320 didn't seem to make a big enough difference versus the amount of space the songs took up. I think 192 sounds ten fold better than 128 and even 160.

Even 192 is a huge jump over 128, and honestly I do have some songs at 320 that sound like crap, and some at 128 that aren't terrible, but really they don't start to sound good till about 320. For some, 128 is fine if all you listen to is your stock iPod headphones, but use anything else (as mentioned above) and there is a huge difference. By the way, I read that the 240 drives aren't hitting full production till almost Q1 09, so I'm pretty sure that's why we don't have a 240gb iPod yet. When there is sufficient supply, I think it'll happen.

wpc33
Dec 12, 2008, 08:38 PM
I read that the 240 drives aren't hitting full production till almost Q1 09, so I'm pretty sure that's why we don't have a 240gb iPod yet. When there is sufficient supply, I think it'll happen.

Yeah, it'll probably be a stopgap bump, like the 80GB 5.5G iPod Video, in Q4 '06

iMpathetic
Dec 12, 2008, 09:50 PM
Was that really worth bringing the thread back? ;)

Cyburnclassic
Dec 13, 2008, 08:27 AM
Im guessing the reason Apple may have not released a 240GB iPod Classic along side with the 120GB was that they didnt know what the demand of the 240GB would be.

Im guessing if loads of people have been complaining to Apple about the lack of a 200GB+ iPod, then in February/March they may release the 240GB version and have a slight price drop for the 120GB.

Tom B.
Dec 13, 2008, 09:42 AM
I'm guessing the reason Apple may have not released a 240GB iPod classic along side with the 120GB was that they didn't know what the demand of the 240GB would be.

No, I'm sure the reason they didn't release a 240GB iPod classic was that they did know what the demand would be.

atoothelex
Dec 13, 2008, 09:44 AM
Was that really worth bringing the thread back? ;)

yes, i was soooo pissed back in September that there was no high end iPod classic. It would have been ridiculously easy for Apple to just put a 240GB HDD in the old 160GB body. They were just being stubborn for what reason, idk. I think more people should be involved in writing to Apple or something. I WANT MY 250Gb iPod!!!! (Btw, like a week after announcing the 240GB 1.8" HDD, Toshibia announced a 250GB 1.8" HDD)

fleshman03
Dec 13, 2008, 09:52 AM
HAHA. 256kbs. I have my entire Beatles collection encoded at 320kbs. It currently takes up 6.7mb for a 2:11 song.

Everything else is 256 kbs or 192 variable. It really depends on the song. I'm not going to give priority to a song that I listen to 3 or 4 times.

dergaderg
Feb 16, 2009, 11:55 PM
You are happy with listening to a 64 kbps audio track?! :eek:

I can only imagine the dissatisfaction when you are at a party with your iPod, and you want to play a song off it through the big speakers.

i have some quotes encoded at 1411 kb/s it makes so much difference 22X the bit rate

dergaderg
Feb 16, 2009, 11:56 PM
HAHA. 256kbs. I have my entire Beatles collection encoded at 320kbs. It currently takes up 6.7mb for a 2:11 song.

Everything else is 256 kbs or 192 variable. It really depends on the song. I'm not going to give priority to a song that I listen to 3 or 4 times.

hahah 320 kbs i have the guns and roses greatest hits encoded at 1411 kbs

iParis
Feb 17, 2009, 12:03 AM
hahah 320 kbs i have the guns and roses greatest hits encoded at 1411 kbs

Why don't you just got for lossless then?

millar876
Feb 17, 2009, 03:15 AM
shame you cant just Ducktape 2 Classics together and RAID-em, that would be handy.

Highly impractical, verging on imposible, but none the less, Handy

ilovemacs84
Feb 18, 2009, 07:50 AM
I could never imagine filling 240GB!!!

r.j.s
Feb 18, 2009, 07:53 AM
shame you cant just Ducktape 2 Classics together and RAID-em, that would be handy.

Highly impractical, verging on imposible, but none the less, Handy

Although, you could watch a movie and listen to music at the same time.

SLC Flyfishing
Feb 18, 2009, 08:04 AM
For me, the magic of an ipod is to carry every possible song you could ever want to hear in your pocket.
Music is about how you feel. There is a song for every feeling and situation.
Be satisfied with a nano if you want to keep going back to your library.
Convenience is King. 240 gb or bigger.
It is all about cutting out steps and making your life easier.

I used to think this way, but smart playlists do a damn good job, and they change themselves up everytime you connect. You can't possibly listen to more than a few GB between syncs anyway.

SLC

richardhunt
Feb 18, 2009, 12:40 PM
As of know, the Ipod Classics cannot be upgraded to 240GB, apparently the firmware on these will only see one platter, so it will be reduced to 120GB in capacity. It will work fine with 5G ipod videos though. Cost on the drive is around $300.00

wpc33
Feb 18, 2009, 01:55 PM
As of know, the iPod Classics cannot be upgraded to 240GB, apparently the firmware on these will only see one platter, so it will be reduced to 120GB in capacity. It will work fine with 5G ipod videos though. Cost on the drive is around $300.00

Thanks for the heads up. How do you know this, though?

It wouldn't faze me, though, because my dream 'pod is a black classic 160 body, a 5G logic board(for the sound quality), and the coveted 240GB drive.

Fonzijr1964
Feb 18, 2009, 03:08 PM

It wouldn't faze me, though, because my dream 'pod is a black classic 160 body, a 5G logic board(for the sound quality), and the coveted 240GB drive.

i have been told buy iFixit that even the 120GB HDD will not work in the 5G iPod

Fonzijr1964
Feb 18, 2009, 03:11 PM

um the 6.5G has the basically same board

wpc33
Feb 18, 2009, 06:39 PM
um the 6.5G has the basically same board

Our ideas of "basically" differ, sir. I don't care for the 6G UI, nor the Cirrus audio chip, which doesn't sound as good to me or many others as the old Wolfson in the 5G. That's why I would love to go back to the 5G board. If only I had $40 to blow...then again, the sound of my Classic is annoying to priority levels...

wpc33
Feb 18, 2009, 06:45 PM
i have been told buy iFixit that even the 120GB HDD will not work in the 5G iPod
I think you are incorrect, sir.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7055566&postcount=6
Does this change your mind?

Sesshi
Feb 18, 2009, 06:49 PM
It's not so much the sound in my case (5G superiority being borderline testicles in an everyday listening sense) but the UI. The 6G just bogs down with every navigation request and the more basic UI / metadata reading of the 5G was definitely more responsive - and that's a huge part of the iPod experience IMO. I just don't pick up my Classic anywhere as often as I used to the 5G mainly because of this reason. I'd love to put a bigger HDD in my Classic (my library is currently <110Gb for just for the compressed audio, so that's what the Classic contains) but if it's as jerky an interface experience as it is now - forget it.

Fonzijr1964
Feb 19, 2009, 04:15 PM
I think you are incorrect, sir.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7055566&postcount=6
Does this change your mind?

man i wasted 249 buck on a new classic cuz that jerk did not know what he was talking about

damn

wpc33
Feb 19, 2009, 05:27 PM
The 6G just bogs down with every navigation request and the more basic UI / metadata reading of the 5G was definitely more responsive
The Classic is slow on the UI!
I am in the exact same boat on all counts...except that I will use whatever player I have all the time, nmw. This makes it more annoying, though!
When I save up some non-food money, I will be replacing my 6G board with a 2nd-hand 5G's, so I can have the smooth, less-BS UI, and still have a big drive, a metal, thinner container, the warm 5G sound, AND the better stock battery that has totally changed my daily use for the better.
It's too bad I must dream of customizing, like I were a car fan, or something! What the hell, :apple:? :D