Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmranger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
For those who already updated to 2.1: please benchmark your battery life.

I'm wondering whether the improved battery life announced for 2G is from:
- new, bigger battery
- improved electronics
- improved software (in which case, 1G iPT may also see an improvement...)

Thanks,

JMR

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F137 Safari/525.20)

I'm amazed. One hour into usual usage and still full battery! In 2.0 it would be 3/4 to 80%

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I'm going to test after my ipod finishes syncing. With 2.01, even when my ipod is in sleep mode, the battery would drain really, really quickly. Sometimes in 1-2 days. Does anyone else' do that? I wondering if it's the battery's fault cuz if it is, I'll have to get AppleCare.

beeh

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I'm going to test after my ipod finishes syncing. With 2.01, even when my ipod is in sleep mode, the battery would drain really, really quickly. Sometimes in 1-2 days. Does anyone else' do that? I wondering if it's the battery's fault cuz if it is, I'll have to get AppleCare.

I've noticed this as well. I turn Wifi Off before I shut off the Touch and if I just leave it sit for 2-3 days, when I turn it on again, it is at 10% battery. Doesn't seem right and I was thinking about taking it to the Apple Store, but if this is normal, I won't.

Edit: Had "Fetch New Data" On, now trying with it turned off, let's see how long it lasts.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I've noticed this as well. I turn Wifi Off before I shut off the Touch and if I just leave it sit for 2-3 days, when I turn it on again, it is at 10% battery. Doesn't seem right and I was thinking about taking it to the Apple Store, but if this is normal, I won't.

Edit: Had "Fetch New Data" On, now trying with it turned off, let's see how long it lasts.

i had turned off fetch data and everything to manual when my ipod battery drained. it happens randomly so i can't reproduce it. anyone else have this problem?

to the op, when my battery isn't randomly drained, the battery life is still horrible. i browse the app store for 5-10 minutes, play a couple minutes of games, maybe use mobile safari and the battery drains by 20-30 percent.

beeh

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008

In this last week or so, with "Fetch New Data" Off, my Touch has held a charge fairly well. I've used it for playing a game for maybe 10-15 minutes and it still has 80%+ charge left, this is without plugging it in for a recharge in about a week. So, maybe Fetch New Data = Off "fixed" it? But I'll have to go through a couple more cycles before I can say for sure.

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
ito the op, when my battery isn't randomly drained, the battery life is still horrible. i browse the app store for 5-10 minutes, play a couple minutes of games, maybe use mobile safari and the battery drains by 20-30 percent.

Mine does that too sometimes, but not as much with 2.1. I think mine is just a symptom of an overworked iPod. All my iPod show this symptom around the one year mark. My previous 30gb 5.5g would not even play music for more than 1.5 hours without being hooked up to a charger, but it was out of warranty, so now it lives in a dock to play music. My first Mini died in 6 months. It wouldn't even hold a charge when it was plugged in. Took it in and got a refurb. Refurb died in 6 months also. So, iPods just don't have very enduring batteries. I may be an unusual user because I use mine daily for about 4-5 hours, but it certainly is not as good as it was new. As for your problems, it looks as if the Wifi is killing your battery, and the games are known to do that as well. That is more than usual though, at least for me. How long have you had your touch? Mine is showing symptoms, but it is just over 1 year old. You may also want to let your touch's battery die completely, then fully charge it. This could just be a battery calibration problem. Luckily it's still alive and somewhat kicking. Gotta get it to live until MW09.

To the OP:
I usually listen to music for about 3-3.5 hours, play games for about 30 min-1 hr, use Safari for 10-20 min, and spend 20-30min watching vids. So my total average usage is about 4 and 2/3 hours per day. Usually this drains my battery about 40-50%. I have to charge every night, and if I don't I have to lay off the usage the next day, or it will not last all day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.