Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
And it happened suddenly, and probably because of something I did -- but being very new to iWeb, I don't know what.

I built a site with ordinary hyperlinks (names, for example, click on the name and go to the page where that person's work is) and they originally worked properly and continue to work properly both when I'm working in iWeb and after I publish to a folder and after I upload the site to my regular server.

I used text boxes as links (throw a box up over an image, declare it a hyperlink, give it a page to go to). That worked when in iWeb, after publishing to a folder, and after uploading. No problem.

Then I built a new Welcome page, using the same plan, and same image (except scaled down) and the same kind of hyperlinks. Testing within iWeb -- no problem at all. I put new blank text-box hyperlinks on another page -- within iWeb no problem, worked perfectly.

OK, I published the site to a folder and accessed it locally. Nope, the text-box hyperlinks didn't work at all, but the ordinary name hyperlinks continue to be fine.

Summary:

create text box
type "Somebody's work"
highlight, choose to make it a hyperlink, choose the page, etc.
that works and continues to work under all circumstances

create text box
move it where I want a person to click through to another page
choose to make it a hyperlink, choose the page, etc.
works when in iWeb
will not work when not in iWeb (BUT before something went wrong, it did work)

It seems almost as if somewhere in iWeb there's a setting that says "turn blank text boxes into hyperlinks ON/OFF when not in iWeb" and somehow I got it set to OFF.

Mac Pro, Leopard, all updates current. It also won't work on my MBP.

Any ideas?

monokakata

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Got the answer. Before I changed the welcome page, the welcome page had shapes to call hyperlinks, not blank text boxes. Presumably iWeb lets blank text boxes function so you can see what they're going to do when there's text in them, but that's only for testing.

Feeling rather novicely-stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.